| Last updated on October 18th, 2023
ExxonMobil™ Smart Card
ExxonMobil™ Smart Card
- 31.24% variable based on the Prime Rate Regular Purchase APR
- 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate Cash Advance APR
At a Glance
The ExxonMobil™ Smart Card+ is a gas rewards credit card that helps drivers save money on every gallon of gas they pump. Cardholders receive 30 cents off every gallon of Synergy fuel for the first two months after opening their account and then up to 12 cents off after that, plus 5% back on non-fuel purchases with Exxon and Mobil.
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- Get $6 back when you make 3 mobile transactions within 2 months from your account open date with the Exxon Mobil Rewards+ app
- Get 30¢ off each gallon of Synergy™ fuel for the first 2 months
- View monthly itemized fuel costs for each card in your account
- No annual fee
- No foreign transaction fees
- Regular Purchase APR: 31.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR: 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- You frequently purchase gasoline with a credit card
- You fill up at Exxon or Mobil locations
- You don’t want to pay an annual fee
ExxonMobil™ Smart Card+ Review
The ExxonMobil Smart Card+ is a fuel reward credit card from ExxonMobil and Citi Retail Services. The card is a closed-loop store card that replaces the old ExxonMobil Smart Card with instant rewards, streamlined statement credit redemptions, and no annual fee.
How to Earn Rewards with the Smart Card+
The ExxonMobil Smart Card+ is a gas rewards credit card, meaning cardmembers can really put a dent in their fuel bills when using the card at participating Exxon and Mobil locations. Cardmembers save 12¢ on every gallon of Synergy Supreme+™ premium gasoline or 10¢ a gallon on any other grade of quality Synergy™ fuel.
Cardholders also earn rewards on non-fuel purchases made with ExxonMobil. They’ll earn 5% back on drinks, snacks, car washes, and more. Those cash back savings apply as a statement credit on the first $1,200 in non-fuel purchases each year; after that, the cardholder earns no more rewards during that account year. It might take up to two billing cycles before your statement balance appears, though most savings are instantaneous.
According to Citi, the average consumer can save over $100 per year with the Smart Card+, a great value for a credit card with no annual fee. This $105.60/year savings is based on:
- Purchase an average of 40 gallons of Synergy Supreme+™ premium gasoline per month
- Average non-fuel Exxon Mobil purchases of $40 per month
- The 30¢ per gallon sign-up bonus for the first two months of account ownership
Extra Savings for the First Two Months
New accounts with the ExxonMobil Smart Card+ enjoy additional savings at the pump for the first two months. New Citi Smart Card+ cardmembers earn an extra 30¢ on every gallon of ExxonMobil fuel for the first two months from the open date.
Only Useable at Exxon and Mobil Locations
Remember that the Smart Card+ is a proprietary card that can only be used at participating Exxon™ and Mobil™ stations. This means that the card is a closed-loop store card, not carrying the same near-universal purchasing power as an open-loop card, like a Mastercard or Visa credit card.
This means that the card can only be used for fuel or car washes purchased at the pump or through the Exxon Mobil Rewards+ app at most stations. It can also be used for snacks, drinks, fuel, car wash, and other items purchased in the convenience store at most brand locations.
Here’s a quick breakdown in how a closed-loop card, the ExxonMobil Smart Card, differs from an open-loop credit card, like the issuer’s Citi® Double Cash Card:
ExxonMobil™ Smart Card+
- Only useable at participating Exxon™ and Mobil™ stations
- Can be used with the Exxon Mobil Rewards+ app
- Balance transfers are not applicable
While the closed-loop aspect of the Exxon Mobil Smart Card+ is frustrating, it isn’t a negative necessarily. There are more than 12,000 Exxon and Mobil gas stations across the United States, meaning you’re never far away from an ExxonMobil station should you need to fill up your tank or stop in for a quick snack on your morning commute.
Other Card Features
Other notable features of the ExxonMobil™ Smart Card+ include:
- Track fuel costs with monthly itemization
- Get a cash advance at more than 200,000+ Cirrus ATMs (cash advance fees apply, see terms)
- Flexible payment terms let you pay in full or carry a balance
- Citi® Identity Theft Solutions
- Zero Fraud Liability protection against
Should You Apply for the ExxonMobil™ Smart Card+?
A gas reward card may not be ideal for everyone. However, for those who frequently fill-up at Exxon and Mobil, the ExxonMobil™ Smart Card+ is an excellent option. The card earns up to 12¢ per gallon in savings (Synergy Supreme+™ only, all other ExxonMobil fuel grades offer 10¢ a gallon savings).
New accounts also enjoy an impressive 30 cents off per gallon welcome bonus. However, this offer only applies for the first two months. Still, that is a significant saving when combined with a planned road trip, long work journey, or even just in tandem with your daily work commute.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards.com's reviews, articles, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author(s). These opinions do not reflect those of any card issuer or financial institution, and editorial content on our site has not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless noted otherwise. Further, BestCards.com lists credit card offers that are frequently updated with information believed to be accurate to the best of our team's knowledge. However, please review the information provided directly by the credit card issuer or related financial institution for full details.