Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on June 21st, 2022
Upgrade Visa® Card with Bitcoin Rewards
- Regular Purchase APR 8.99%-29.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
Credit NeededBestCards.com uses a variation of FICO Score 8, which is one of many different types of credit scores. A financial institution may use a different score when deciding whether to approve you for a credit card.Excellent , Good
- Processing Network Visa
- Earn 1.5% unlimited cash back in bitcoin when you make payments
- The simple way to earn bitcoin: make purchases on your card, make payments, earn bitcoin
- Earn a $200 bonus on your Upgrade Card after opening a Rewards Checking account and making 3 debit card transactions*
- Get pre-approved in seconds with no impact to your credit score
- Pay with your phone or device by using Apple Pay™ or Google Pay™
- Mobile app to access your account anytime, anywhere
- Enjoy peace of mind with $0 Fraud liability
- *To qualify for the $200 welcome bonus, you must open and fund a new Rewards Checking account and make 3 debit card transactions within 60 days of your Upgrade Card account opening. The bonus will be applied as a one-time credit to your account and will not otherwise reduce the amount of your regular monthly payments. The bonus credit will be posted to your Upgrade Card as a rewards credit within 1-2 billing periods following the third debit card transaction on your Rewards Checking account. Your Upgrade Card must be in good standing to receive a bonus.
- Regular Purchase APR: 8.99%-29.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
Browse these credit card deals and thousands of other offers by becoming a Bestcards Member.Join today!
At a Glance
The Upgrade Visa® Card with Bitcoin Rewards offers no fees, low rates, cash back in bitcoin, and credit lines up to $20,000 in one exceptional package. The card provides the flexibility and predictability to pay down card balances and get debt-free quickly – with the added benefit of crypto rewards on every purchase.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Struggle to pay off their credit card balances
- Want a structured repayment plan
- Can reliably pay off their statement balances to earn bitcoin rewards for their purchases
- Don’t want to pay an annual fee or hidden fees
Upgrade Visa® Card with Bitcoin Rewards Review
The Upgrade Bitcoin Rewards Card offers the same exceptional APR as the original Upgrade Visa – but with crypto rewards with every purchase. The card, issued by Sutton Bank, features a low interest rate that blurs the line between a personal loan and credit card, plus bitcoin rewards that can help supercharge your crypto wallet balance.
Earn Bitcoin with Every Purchase
The Upgrade Bitcoin Rewards Card differs from the cash back version of the card (the Upgrade Visa® Card with Cash Rewards) in that it earns its rewards in the form of cryptocurrency – namely, bitcoin (BTC). Cardholders earn an unlimited 1.5% back in bitcoin rewards for every eligible purchase. This BTC earning rate is one of the highest with a crypto credit card – on par with the BlockFi Rewards Visa® Signature Credit Card.
Like other Upgrade Cards, there is a catch to earning BTC rewards. Members will only get rewarded after paying their monthly billing statement. Upgrade’s approach to rewards (bitcoin and cash back) is similar to the Double Cash Card from Citi. That card earns 1% cash back on purchases upfront and an additional 1% after paying off those purchases.
Initial BTC rewards are subject to an initial 90-day holding period after the first purchase on the new user’s account. This holding period stipulates that cardholders cannot sell their BTC. Sales of bitcoin are also subject to a 1.5% transaction fee, and the proceeds from any sales are redeemable in the form of statement credit only.
Pay Down Debt with an Exceptionally-Low APR
The Upgrade Bitcoin Rewards Visa also shares the same approach to paying down debt as other Upgrade products. The card is an easy-to-use credit line with 12, 24, 36, or 60 months installment plans variable based on the applicant’s creditworthiness.
The Upgrade Card works in two ways. Cardholders can use their line of credit to make purchases anywhere Visa is accepted worldwide. They can also choose to have some of the credit line transferred to their bank account to help pay off existing debt. This latter method makes the card a useful alternative for a balance transfer credit card.
Upgrade then lumps all bank transfers and purchases into one balance, which the account holder then pays down based on their installment terms. Cardholders can continue making purchases or transferring funds to existing bank accounts up to their credit limit during subsequent statement periods, with the process repeating.
Pay Off Balances Faster
Upgrade Cards make paying off existing debts almost effortless thanks to their low APR, which can reach as low as eight-percentage-points lower than other leading low APR credit cards for those with excellent credit scores. According to research, paying a $10,000 balance takes just a few years with the Upgrade Visa, compared with other traditional low rate credit cards that can take up to 20 years.
No Hidden Fees
The Upgrade Card positions itself as a different kind of credit card, so eliminating fees of any kind is in tune mission statement. The card has no annual fee, no foreign transaction fees, no late fees, and no penalty fees or APR. There are also no balance transfer fees, making paying down balances even easier.
Other Card Features
Other notable features with the Upgrade Bitcoin Rewards Visa Card include:
- Visa Signature concierge
- Access to the Visa Luxury Hotels Collection
- Zero Fraud Liability protection
- Roadside Dispatch and Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver
- EMV chip technology
- Contactless payment capabilities
- Mobile wallet compatibility with Apple Pay, Google Pay, and Samsung Pay
Bitcoin Rewards Card State Exclusions
It’s important to note that the Upgrade Visa® Card with Bitcoin Rewards card is not available in all areas of the United States. Currently the card is not available to applicants residing in Washington D.C., Hawaii, Iowa, New Hampshire, North Carolina, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.
Upgrade Card FAQs
- Yes! The Upgrade Card is a regular Visa credit card that also acts as an installment loan.
- Unlike other cards, Upgrade is reported as an installment loan on your credit report.
- Yes. Upgrade reports to Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion.
- Upgrade Loans are different from the Upgrade Visa® Card with Cash Rewards. Upgrade Loans may contact your employer to verify employment and income details. The Upgrade Card, however, acts like any other credit card application, meaning you won’t have to worry about your employer being contacted.
Upgrade Card Ratings
How does the Upgrade Card stack up? Here are a selection of expert reviews for the card:
What is the Upgrade Credit Card like to live with? Before deciding if the card is right for you, here’s what our readers and members think about the card:
Should You Apply for the Upgrade Visa® Card with Bitcoin Rewards?
The Upgrade Bitcoin Rewards is a tough-to-beat credit card for fans of crypto rewards and low interest rates. The interest rates are the same as with other Upgrade Cards, making it among the best in the business. The ability to pay down debt – and earn BTC with every purchase – is another perk that makes the card something that provides everyday value.
The inability to transfer bitcoin to digital wallets is frustrating but provides cardholders with a chance to supercharge their cash back and debt repayment. Bitcoin has seen extraordinary growth over the past five years, making it an enticing proposition for those who want the chance to boost their debt repayment with the volatility of the cryptocurrency markets.
Ultimately, the Upgrade Visa® Card with Bitcoin Rewards is an exciting credit card that ticks many boxes that people want in a rewards credit card. The inability to use bitcoin towards other redemption options is frustrating – and may put some off applying – but for those that can look past this small flaw, it’s a great crypto card to consider.