Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Oportun® Visa® Credit Card
Build Credit with No Credit History Required
- No foreign transaction fees
- No credit history required
- Online prequalification with no credit score impact
- Regular Purchase APR: 24.90% to 29.90% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR: 24.90% to 29.90% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of transaction amount, whichever is greater
- Annual Fee: None to $49
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $35
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $35
At a Glance
The Oportun® Visa® Credit Card provides unsecured credit, the chance for credit limit increases, and regular reporting to the major credit bureaus – all for a variable annual fee of between $0 and $49, subject to creditworthiness.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Have a pre-approval referral link
- Have bad credit or no credit history
- Want an unsecured credit card
- Don’t want to pay any foreign transaction fees
Oportun® Visa® Credit Card Review
The Oportun® Visa® Credit Card is a credit builder card from WebBank. The card features credit limits of up to $1,000, offers automatic reviews for credit line increases, and enjoys worldwide acceptance through the Visa payment network, all for a modest annual fee of up to $49.
No Security Deposit or Credit History Needed to Apply
The Oportun® Visa® is like other credit cards for bad credit scores in that it doesn’t require any credit history to get approved. Instead, the card provides access to vital unsecured credit for consumers with damaged credit or no credit history of which to speak.
Unsecured credit also means no security deposit is required. The card features credit limits of between $300 and $1,000 – on par with other credit builder cards on the market.
Many newer unsecured credit cards for bad credit come with hopes of future credit line increases as a reward for responsible use. Oportun Visa cardholders may be eligible for credit limit increases with on-time payments and responsible usage. Responsible use means making on-time payments, keeping the balance below the credit limit, and paying at least the minimum payment due each month.
Head-to-Head: The Oportun Visa Vs. the Competition
Oportun® Credit CardVisa Platinum
$300 starting credit line
Regular reporting to major credit bureaus
Credit limit increases where possible
No foreign transaction fees
Merrick Bank Double Your Line™Visa Platinum
Credit lines of between $500 and $1,350
Credit line doubles with 7 on-time payments
Quick online pre-approval
Milestone® Gold CardPlatinum Mastercard
$300 starting credit limit
Regular reporting to major credit bureaus
Quick online pre-approval
A Full-Featured Visa Credit Card
Many credit cards for damaged credit lack the global acceptance of the Visa network – but not so with the Oportun® Visa® Credit Card. The card enjoys global acceptance in the more than 200 countries that take Visa cards. Other unsecured credit cards only work in geographically set locations, usually North America or the United States.
Even better, the Oportun® Visa® Credit Card charges no foreign transaction fees when using the card abroad or on a foreign website. Most bad credit credit cards charge a foreign transaction fee of between 2% and 3% of the transaction cost in U.S. dollars.
Other Visa features with the card include:
- Zero Fraud Liability coverage
- Roadside Dispatch
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver
- Cardholder Inquiry Services
FAQs About the Oportun Visa Card
Here are some commonly asked questions about Oportun® Visa®, along with the answers:
- There is no credit history needed to get the card. That said, most successful applicants have a credit score in the low-to-mid 600s.
- Making payments online is simple. Just log in to your online credit card account and use your checking or savings account to make a one-time or recurring payment. Debit cards are also accepted. Automatic payments are the easiest way to make your payments on time—and you’ll never forget your due date.
If you want to pay by phone, call 833-OPORTUN (833-676-7886). You can make a payment in person at any MoneyGram location nationwide, including inside CVS and Walmart. Or mail a check or money order to the following address:
- PO Box 561240
- The Colony, TX 75056
- Applying is simple. Confirm your offer hasn’t expired and go to Oportun.com/myoffer. You can also accept your offer by calling 855-613-0070. Oportun customer service agents are ready to help from 8 am–8 pm CT Monday–Friday, and 9 am–7 pm CT on weekends and holidays.
- Currently, you can only get a Oportun Credit Card credit limit increase by being offered one. After a few months of on-time payments, the issuer might consider you for a higher credit limit.
What is the Oportun® Visa® like to live with? Before deciding if the card is right for you, here’s what our readers and members think about the card:
Should You Apply for the Oportun® Visa® Credit Card?
Overall, the Oportun® Visa® Credit Card from WebBank provides a decent unsecured credit lifeline for consumers with bad credit. While the card’s annual fee varies significantly, it never rises above $49, which is very competitive in the bad credit space.
Additionally, the card features a modest starting credit limit of $300. This limit is comparable to other subprime card offers, notably the Surge Mastercard, Reflex Mastercard, Applied Bank® Unsecured Classic Visa®, and the FIT Mastercard. Those cards also either feature a foreign transaction fee, or don’t allow the card to be used outside of the United States.
Where the Oportun® Visa® Credit Card falls down, however, is the higher-than-average APR on purchases it charges. The card’s rates never sink below 24%, which is almost three percentage points above the national average for a bad credit card. For consumers wary of the APR with the Opprtun Card, there are plenty of excellent cards for bad credit with slightly better rates – or opt for a secured credit card with interest rates as low as 9.99% on purchases (such as with the First Progress Platinum Prestige Mastercard® Secured Credit Card).