Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on January 19th, 2021
- See if you’re Pre-Qualified with no impact to your credit score
- Free access to your Vantage 3.0 score from TransUnion* (When you sign up for e-statements)
- Monthly reporting to the three major credit bureaus
- Fast and easy application process; results in seconds
- Use your card at locations everywhere Mastercard® is accepted
- Regular Purchase APR: See Terms*
- Cash Advance APR: See Terms*
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: See Terms*
- Annual Fee: See Terms*
- Foreign Transaction Fee: See Terms*
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: See Terms*
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: See Terms*
- Take a hike with an award-winning landscape photographer - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- Immerse yourself in the world of Italian food and wine - Offer Expires on January 24, 2031 - See Details
- Exclusive tableware and home d?cor items from porcelain - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- Go on a guided truffle-hunting expedition in the Motovun Forest - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- Embark on a journey through the city of the Iron Throne - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- Discover Agra beyond the Taj Mahal on a virtual tour - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- Play the Hidden Network of Private Courses - Offer Expires on December 31, 2022 - See Details
- Marvel at a celebrity stylist's star-studded fashion collection - Offer Expires on June 01, 2021 - See Details
- Embark on a virtual trip to the Banaras' ghats, Sarnath, and more - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- Get a glimpse into India's history through the Gujarati thali - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- View All Deals -
At a Glance
The Surge Mastercard® from Celtic Bank can be an ideal pre-qualification option for people who need to repair or continue building their credit due to less than perfect credit or poor credit. Though it bears annual and maintenance fees, it does, however, provide attractive perks for qualified cardholders.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Have fair or poor credit and need to build or repair their credit ratings
- Prefer a pre-qualification card that will immediately inform them whether they would be approved prior to applying
- Don’t want a secured credit card or can’t afford a security deposit
- Want a card that reports activity to the three major credit bureaus
- Want the security of an optional credit protection program
Surge Mastercard Review
The Surge Mastercard is a versatile unsecured credit card offer that provides a pathway towards better credit. It offers cardholders a relatively low credit limit, which might save them from falling into unmanageable debt. Additionally, cardholders have one APR that applies to both purchases and cash advances (balance transfers cannot be performed with this card). This card also includes a handful of perks, such as credit protection and a maintenance fee waiver for the first year.
Almost Anyone Can Apply
You may be under the impression that only people with good credit ratings can apply for a credit card. That’s not always the case, though. There are plenty of options for consumers with fair or poor credit, and the Surge Card is one of those.
You can potentially get approved for the Surge card regardless of what credit history you have. However, you should remember that applicants with poorer credit ratings may get approved for lower credit limits. Additionally, this credit card features a high APR, which is common with credit cards for people with less-than-excellent credit ratings. Nevertheless, this credit card can help you build your credit so that you can apply for better credit cards in the future.
In addition, one of its standout benefits is the fact that you can immediately find out whether you would be approved or not by pre-qualifying. Doing so does not affect your credit score, which allows you to better prepare for getting your card. If you are not eligible to qualify, your credit will remain intact.
What Are Some Similar Cards to the Surge Card to Consider?
Tools to Build Your Credit
Other noteworthy perks included with the Surge Mastercard are monthly reporting to the big three credit bureaus – Experian, TransUnion, and Equifax – and free credit limit increases. By reporting your on-time payments every month, Surge gives you the ability to move up in the credit standings, which will look favorably if you are eventually hoping to secure a mortgage, purchase a car, or apply for a new job.
In addition, the card issuer performs automatic account reviews free of charge. Doing so can result in a credit limit increase, thereby boosting your purchasing power and your available credit – two important factors in calculating your credit score.
Speaking of credit score, with this card you are able to periodically check your credit score for free. Surge uses VantageScore – one of the major credit scoring models – and updates your score monthly based on how you have managed your finances. Being able to view your score puts you in a better position to make the necessary adjustments to build your credit.
Monthly Credit Reporting
Monthly reporting to the three major credit bureaus - TransUnion, Experian, and Equifax
Free Credit Score
Free access to your Vantage 3.0 score from TransUnion when signing up for e-statements
$0 fraud liability, auto rental insurance, price protection, and EMV chip card
Fees Associated with the Surge Mastercard
There are a few fees cardholders need to pay in order to use the Surge Mastercard. There is an annual fee and a monthly maintenance fee, as well as a one-time fee if you would like to request an additional card. The monthly maintenance fee is waived for the first 12 months from the date that you open your account. This feature makes the Surge Card an attractive option if you plan to use the card for a short period of time before upgrading to a different card.
Should You Apply for the Surge Mastercard?
The Surge Mastercard from Celtic Bank can be a great match if you need to build or improve your credit due to having fair or poor credit. While there are fees and a higher-than-average APR with this card, these features are standard with many credit cards for consumers with little to no credit.
The ability to pre-qualify makes it easy and quick to know ahead of time whether you will be approved, and the fact that it does not impact your credit score makes it even better. Plus, the available tools – including free credit limit increases, sending your activity to credit reporting bureaus, and free credit score access – give a helping hand in increasing your credit faster and with more peace of mind.