Last updated on February 24th, 2023
Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Surge® Platinum Mastercard®
Surge® Platinum Mastercard®
- 29.99% (Variable) Regular Purchase APR
- See Terms* Cash Advance APR
At a Glance
The Surge Mastercard® from Celtic Bank can be an ideal pre-qualification option if you need to repair or continue building your less-than-perfect credit score. Though it bears annual and maintenance fees, it does, however, provide attractive perks for qualified cardholders – including the potential for a double credit limit increase in as little as six months.
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- Up to $1,000 credit limit doubles up to $2,000! (Simply make your first 6 monthly minimum payments on time)
- All credit types welcome to apply!
- Free access to your Vantage 3.0 score From Experian* (When you sign up for e-statements)
- Initial Credit Limit of $300 – $1,000* (subject to available credit)
- Monthly reporting to the three major credit bureaus
- See if you’re Pre-Qualified without impacting your credit score
- Fast and easy application process; results in seconds
- Free online account access 24/7
- Checking Account Required
- Regular Purchase APR: 29.99% (Variable)
- Cash Advance APR: See Terms*
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: See Terms*
- Annual Fee: See Terms*
- Foreign Transaction Fee: See Terms*
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $41
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $41
- You have fair or poor credit and need to build or repair your credit ratings
- You prefer a pre-qualification card that will immediately inform you whether you would be approved prior to applying
- You want to double your credit line by up to $1,000 by making your first six monthly minimum payments on time
- You don’t want a secured credit card or can’t afford a security deposit
- You want a card that reports activity to the three major credit bureaus
- You want the security of an optional credit protection program
Surge® Platinum Mastercard®Terms & Conditions
Surge® Platinum Mastercard® Review
The Surge Mastercard is a versatile unsecured credit card offer that provides a pathway towards better credit. It offers cardholders a relatively low credit limit, which might save them from falling into unmanageable debt. Additionally, cardholders have one APR that applies to both purchases and cash advances (balance transfers cannot be performed with this card). This card also includes a handful of perks, such as credit protection and a maintenance fee waiver for the first year.
Almost Anyone Can Apply
You may be under the impression that only people with good credit ratings can apply for a credit card. That’s not always the case, though. There are plenty of options for consumers with fair or poor credit, and the Surge Card is one of those.
You can potentially get approved for the Surge card regardless of what credit history you have. However, you should remember that applicants with poorer credit ratings may get approved for lower credit limits. Additionally, this credit card features a high APR, which is common with credit cards for people with less-than-excellent credit ratings. Nevertheless, this credit card can help you build your credit so that you can apply for better credit cards in the future.
In addition, one of its standout benefits is the fact that you can immediately find out whether you would be approved or not by pre-qualifying. Doing so does not affect your credit score, which allows you to better prepare for getting your card. If you are not eligible to qualify, your credit will remain intact.
Surge Mastercard Vs. Indigo Mastercard
The Indigo® Mastercard® is another credit builder card for people with bad or fair credit. The card offers a $300+ credit line without needing a security deposit. As with the Surge Mastercard, Indigo also reports to all three major credit reporting agencies. Both cards are decent options for building credit or having an emergency credit line for unexpected expenses.
Other Options to Consider
|$300 credit limit||$300 credit|
|Quick, online pre-qualification||Pre-qualify with no credit impact|
|$35 to $99 annual fee||$0 to $99 annual fee|
Tools to Build Your Credit
Other noteworthy perks included with the Surge Mastercard are monthly reporting to the big three credit bureaus – Experian, TransUnion, and Equifax – and free credit limit increases. By reporting your on-time payments every month, Surge gives you the ability to move up in the credit standings, which will look favorably if you are eventually hoping to secure a mortgage, purchase a car, or apply for a new job.
Double Your Credit Line
In addition, the card issuer performs automatic account reviews free of charge. Doing so can result in a credit limit increase, thereby boosting your purchasing power and your available credit – two important factors in calculating your credit score.
Simply make your first six monthly minimum payments on time and Surge will raise your credit limit – doubling your purchasing power.
Speaking of credit score, with this card you are able to periodically check your credit score for free. Surge uses VantageScore – one of the major credit scoring models – and updates your score monthly based on how you have managed your finances. Being able to view your score puts you in a better position to make the necessary adjustments to build your credit.
The Surge Mastercard is like other credit repair cards in that it comes with associated fees. There is an annual fee, a monthly maintenance fee, and a one-time fee if you would like to request an additional card.
Fortunately, the monthly maintenance fee is waived for the first 12 months from the date you open your account. This feature makes the Surge Card an attractive option if you plan to use the card for a short period before upgrading to a different card.
Other prices with the card include a 3% foreign transaction fee, a cash advance fee of 5 percent of the cash advance amount, or $5, whichever is greater.
Other Card Features
The Surge Platinum Mastercard also features Mastercard Platinum features. These features include the following:
FAQs About the Surge Mastercard
|Zero Liability Protection||Mastercard Global Services||ID Theft Protection|
Here are answers to everyday questions others have asked about the Surge Mastercard:
- Founded in 2005, Continental Finance Company (“CFC”) is one of America’s leading marketers and
servicers of credit cards for consumers with less-than-perfect credit. The company specializes in
providing access to credit products and services to consumers who are largely overlooked by traditional
credit card issuers and local banks
You’ll need to provide personal information, including your:
Social Security number
Date of birth
Physical address (No P.O. Box)
Estimated gross monthly income
- No, current product offerings do not allow co-applicants at this time, but you may add an authorized user
during the application process or anytime after your account is opened.
- In most cases, an instant decision is provided. However, in some cases additional information is needed
in order to make a decision which could take up to 30 days.
- If you’re approved and you fully fund any security deposit (if applicable), your credit card and welcome
materials will be mailed within (3) business days.
- Credit Protection is an optional debt cancellation program offered with your credit card account.
- The Surge Mastercard is available in all 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia.
- Payment usually takes 1 to 3 business days to post to the account.
- Surge may allow cash advances, depending on your offer. Check your terms and conditions.
Surge Card Ratings
How does the Surge stack up? Here are a selection of expert reviews for the card:
Should You Apply for the Surge® Platinum Mastercard®?
The Surge Mastercard from Celtic Bank can be a great match if you need to build or improve your credit due to having fair or poor credit. While there are fees and a higher-than-average APR with this card, these features are standard with many credit cards for consumers with little to no credit.
The ability to pre-qualify makes it easy and quick to know ahead of time whether you will be approved, and the fact that it does not impact your credit score makes it even better. Plus, the available tools – including free credit limit increases, sending your activity to credit reporting bureaus, and free credit score access – give a helping hand in increasing your credit faster and with more peace of mind.