Last updated on April 7th, 2023
Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Aspire® Cashback Rewards Credit Card
Aspire® Cashback Rewards Credit Card
- *See Terms Regular Purchase APR
- *See Terms Balance Transfer APR
- *See Terms Cash Advance APR
At a Glance
You can earn up to 3% cash back while building credit with The Aspire® Cashback Rewards Credit Card. The card, from the Bank of Missouri, provides unlimited 3% cash back on gas station, grocery store, and utility purchases and 1% back on all other eligible purchases.
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- Earn a 3% Cash Back Reward on Gas, Groceries and Utilities‡
- Earn a 1% Cash Back Reward on all other eligible purchases‡
- Up to $1,000 credit limit subject to credit approval*
- Pre-qualify without affecting your credit score
- No security deposit
- Good anywhere Mastercard® is accepted
- Free access to your credit score †
- $0 fraud liability**
- *Pre-qualified means that information in your credit report indicated that you met certain pre-established credit criteria. Final approval is not guaranteed if you do not meet all applicable criteria (including adequate proof of ability to repay). Income verification through access to your bank account information may be required.
- † Your credit score will be available in your online account 60 days after your account is opened. (Registration required) The free VantageScore 4.0 credit score - provided by TransUnion® is for educational purposes only and may not be used by The Bank of Missouri (the issuer of this card) or other creditors to make credit decisions.
- ‡You will earn a 3% cash back reward on eligible gas, grocery, and utility purchases/payments and you will earn a 1% cash back reward on all other eligible purchases, which are for goods and services minus returns and other credits. Rewards will be earned when the transaction posts to your account and will remain as long as the purchase is not returned. Purchases do not include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Rewards are not earned for pending transactions
- **Fraud liability subject to Mastercard® rules
- Regular Purchase APR: *See Terms
- Balance Transfer APR: *See Terms
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: 3% of the amount of each transfer
- Cash Advance APR: *See Terms
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Annual Fee: As low as $85
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 3% of each transaction amount in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- You want to build credit while spending on monthly utilities and purchases
- You want quick pre-qualification to know if you can be approved
- You plan to pay your balance in full every month
- You prefer unsecured credit to a security deposit requirement
Aspire® Cashback Rewards Credit CardTerms & Conditions
Aspire® Cashback Rewards Credit Card Review
The Aspire® Cashback Rewards Credit Card is a unique rewards credit card for bad credit. What makes the Aspire Card so unique is that it provides rewards – and lucrative ones – without needing a security deposit or a good credit score.
Earn Up to 3% Cash Back
The Aspire® Cashback Rewards Credit Card earns an impressive 3% cash back on select purchases. Aspire cardholders earn 3% back on three of the most helpful bonus categories you can find on a credit-builder card – everyday stuff.
You’ll earn 3% cash back on gas, grocery, and utility bill payment using the Aspire Mastercard. There are no limits to the total amount of rewards earnable in the 3% bonus category – which is an excellent feature for those who plan to place some of their utilities on the credit card.
All other purchases with the card earn an unlimited 1% cash back. Rewards are automatically applied to the cardholder’s account and used as statement credits.
Bad Credit Cash Back Comparison
Earning rewards without a secured credit card is a pretty cool selling point – one not found with many offers. Here’s how the Aspire Cashback Rewards Mastercard stacks up with another offer from Credit One:
Credit One® Platinum
|Bonus categories||Gas, groceries, utilities||Gas, groceries, utilities|
|Bonus cash back rate||3% back||1% back|
|All other purchases||1% back||N/A|
|Annual fee||$49 to $175 the first year; up to $49 thereafter||$75 for the first year. After that, $99 annually (Billed at $8.25 per month)|
Generous Starting Credit Limit
The Aspire Card also provides a generous starting credit limit – and the hope for future increases in time. The starting credit limit for the card begins at $350, with that limit rising as high as $1,000. Beyond the starting credit limits, Aspire conducts periodic account reviews for credit limit increases. You may qualify for a higher credit limit with on-time payments and responsible credit use.
As with other bad credit score cards, Aspire charges the annual fee upfront, meaning your initial available credit limit will be significantly lower. That annual fee starts as low as $85, meaning your initial credit ay be as low as $265. Once the fee is paid, your credit limit will bounce back.
Build Credit with Responsible Use
Cash back rewards are great, but at its heart, the Aspire Mastercard is a credit repair tool to boost your score. The credit-building process includes monitoring your spending, trimming expenses, and paying your monthly bills on time.
Paying your balance on time (and preferably in full) each month keeps your overall credit use low. And since payment history accounts for over a third of what goes into your FICO Score, missing payments can set you back significantly. Aspire and the Bank of Missouri (who issues the card) all three major credit agencies: Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion.
Other Cards to Consider
Here’s how Aspire stacks up with some other popular credit-building cards:
|Credit needed||Bad – Fair||Bad – Fair||Bad – Fair||None – Fair|
|Initial credit limit||$350||$300||$350||Min. deposit of $200|
|Annual fee||$49 to $175 the first year; up to $49 thereafter||$75 to $99||$49 to $175 the first year; up to $49 thereafter||$35|
|Rewards||N/A||N/A||3% back on gas, groceries and utilities; 1% back on all other eligible purchases||N/A|
Other Card Features
Other notable features of the Aspire® Cashback Rewards Credit Card include ENV chip technology, which provides an additional layer of security when making purchases; contactless payments with Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, and Google Pay; and Mastercard Platinum features, including:
|Zero Liability Protection||Mastercard Global Services||ID Theft Protection|
Finally, cardholders have access to the Aspire mobile app. Available in the Google Play and Apple App Store, the Aspire app provides access to a suite of account features:
|Make payments||Setup account alerts||Card freeze|
|Check balances||View transactions||Get assistance|
Here’s how the Aspire credit card program rates according to expert and consumer opinions:
|BestCards||Better Business Bureau||TrustPilot|
Should You Apply for the Aspire® Cashback Rewards Credit Card?
The Aspire® Cashback Rewards Credit Card provides plenty of value for those serious about fortifying their credit but wanting a generous rewards program to help offset costs. The 3% cash back rewards categories are the sort that most cardholders will enjoy – and use – to help pay down these monthly charges.
Of course, the fees with the card are a noticeable drawback. Unfortunately, fees like these are common with similar credit cards and help to offset the risks of lending to subprime borrowers. Still, the annual fee with the Aspire Card is in line with other cards of the same category.
Overall, the Aspire® Cashback Rewards Credit Card is a solid cash back rewards credit card for those looking to establish a positive credit history and want a card with pre-qualification, simple cash back, and more.