Last updated on August 18th, 2023
Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
FordPass™ Rewards Visa® Signature Card
FordPass™ Rewards Visa® Signature Card
- 22.99% to 29.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Regular Purchase APR
- 22.99% to 29.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Balance Transfer APR
- 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate Cash Advance APR
- 0% for 6 months on Ford purchases over $499 Intro Purchase APR
At a Glance
The FordPass™ Rewards Visa® Signature is an auto rewards card from First Bankcard and Ford Motor Company. The card features a competitive APR, special financing on Ford purchases over $499, and up to 10% cash back on Ford dealership service purchases – all for no annual fee.
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- No annual fee
- 5% back on Ford Dealership purchases
- 3% back on gas, auto insurance, tolls, parking, and dining
- 10% back on Ford services
- 0% for 6 months on Ford purchases over $499
- Intro Purchase APR: 0% for 6 months on Ford purchases over $499
- Regular Purchase APR: 22.99% to 29.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 22.99% to 29.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $15 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 3% of the transaction amount in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $35
- You own a Ford vehicle and purchase parts or have your vehicle serviced at Ford dealerships
- You anticipate spending $500 on Ford dealership purchases at least once
- You want a versatile rewards card that can give back for multiple types of purchases
- You don’t want to pay an annual fee
FordPass™ Rewards Visa® Signature Card Review
Ford Motor Company and First Bankcard are now offering a co-branded credit card: the FordPass™ Rewards Visa® Signature Card. The card offers cash back on automotive and travel purchases, a 0% intro APR, and a decent statement credit after meeting minimum spending requirements.
Special Financing on Ford Purchases
Most auto rewards and car credit cards come with select financing options on dealer purchases – and the FordPass™ Rewards Visa® is no different. New accounts enjoy a 0% intro APR for six months on Ford Dealership purchases of $499 or more.
Earn Statement Credits After Meeting Spend Requirements
Many rewards credit cards also offer an introductory bonus. Again, the FordPass Visa does just that, granting customers statement credits after reaching initial and annual spending requirements.
- Earn a $100 statement credit when using the new Ford credit card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first three billing cycles.
- Earn a $200 statement credit every year after spending $6,000 in 12 consecutive billing cycles after account opening.
The $200 statement credit for reaching the annual spending threshold is essentially 3.33% cash back – which is a great value. Of course, that spending goal requires considerable use of the card. However, regular servicing and parts, plus spending on bonus categories, make the goal achievable.
How to Earn FordPass Rewards Points
The FordPass™ Rewards Visa® is a cash back rewards card, with cash back taking the form of points. Cardholders earn different amounts of points depending on their purchases:
- 10% back on Ford service and maintenance transactions
- 5% back on Ford Dealership purchases
- 3% back on gas, auto insurance, tolls, parking, and dining purchases
- 1% back on all other purchases
The 10% cash back on Ford servicing works out as 5% back in points on dealership purchases and 5% back in points with FordPass Rewards.
How to Redeem FordPass Points
Points are redeemable for several options with the FordPass Rewards program. Redemption award options include:
- New Ford vehicle purchases
- Ford Dealership services, including tire rotation and replacement, oil changes, regular maintenance, and more
- Ford parts and accessories
Choose Your Card Design
First Bankcard and Ford are taking a trick out of multiple credit cards’ playbooks by providing card art options. FordPass™ Rewards Visa® cardholders can select from three designs to give their card its own personal look and feel. Beyond the blue and black card art, there is also a Ford Bronco design.
Does the FordPass™ Rewards Visa® Offer Value?
How does the FordPass Rewards Visa stack up against other cards in its category?
Comparing the Card to Other Auto and Gas Rewards Cards
The 3% back in points earned by the FordPass Visa Card is a decent value for money – especially when compared to other credit cards in the auto rewards space.
The Mopar DrivePlus Mastercard, for example, earns 2% cash back on fuel and travel purchases. The Dodge DrivePlus Mastercard and other FCA DrivePlus cards earn the same 2% back. This is 1% lower than the FordPass Visa.
The 3% back on gas also makes the FordPass Visa one of the better gas rewards credit cards on the market today, trailing only options like the INFINITI Visa (5% back) and the PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature Card from Pentagon Federal Credit Union (5X points). While the INFINITI Card may offer more rewards on gas purchases, the FordPass Rewards Visa has greater appeal and a broader consumer base than Infiniti credit cards, making it a better option.
A Slightly Higher APR
First National Bank of Omaha (the card’s issuing bank) and Ford advertise a variable purchase APR whose range is lower than those found with some auto cards, namely the INFINITI Visa and the Nissan Visa Signature. Still, it’s slightly higher than most other auto rewards credit cards.
The list of credit cards with a better interest rate than the FordPass Rewards includes all the DrivePlus credit cards, such as the Mopar DrivePlus, the Ram DrivePlus, the Jeep DrivePlus, and the Chrysler DrivePlus. The APR with the Ford card is also 2% higher than both the Toyota Rewards Visa and the Lexus Pursuits Visa.
Fortunately, the Ford card comes with 0% financing on Ford purchases, which will offset large interest charges on select purchases. Plus, rewards cards aren’t designed for carrying a balance, so responsible usage should make high interest rates a non-issue.
Should You Apply for the FordPass™ Rewards Visa® Signature Card?
Auto rewards cards offer significant value for a select subset of users – namely those who like to save money on maintenance and new vehicle purchases. In this regard, the FordPass Rewards Visa is a good option to consider.
Gas, auto insurance, tolls, and parking are the types of purchases many commuters make every day, so earning cash back rewards for those charges is always welcome. The addition of dining makes the card more versatile, as do the statement credits for annual spending.
Of course, the card only makes sense if you have a Ford vehicle – and use Ford’s dealerships for your regular servicing and maintenance. If that is you, however, this no-annual-fee card is a great choice.