Last updated on May 2nd, 2022
New Year’s Eve spells the end of the modern holiday season, but that doesn’t mean the fun has to stop. Entertaining and dining are critical aspects of ringing in the new year, so make sure your wallet (either physical or mobile wallet) is holding one of these top credit cards for entertaining and ringing in the New Year:
The Best Credit Cards for Ringing in the New Year
Here are our top entertainment credit cards for New Year’s Eve 2021:
This post may contain links from partner offers, and we may receive compensation when you click on links to these offers. Please see our advertiser and editorial disclosures above for more information. Citi is an advertising partner.
The Platinum Card from American Express might not be the first name that comes to mind for entertaining, but it should rank high on the list. While the card is primarily a luxury travel card thanks to lounge access, impressive points on flights and hotels, and more, it is also an excellent entertainment card thanks to a huge selection of statement credits added this year.
Those credits run the gamut from travel to entertainment and include:
- Streaming and Digital Entertainment Credit: Up to $20 back each month as a credit when using the Platinum Card to pay the subscription fee for Audible, New York Times, Peacock, or SiriusXM subscription costs.
- Equinox Credit: Platinum Cardholders receive a $25 credit each month towards Equinox membership and services. Equinox is an upscale private gym with locations in major cities across the U.S.
- Hotel Credit: Up to $200 per year for select prepaid hotel bookings made through Amex Travel.
- Airline Incidentals Credit: Up to $200 per year for incidental purchases with a preselected carrier.
- Walmart+: A $12.95 statement credit each month when using the Platinum Card to purchase a Walmart+ subscription.
- SoulCycle: Up to $300 in statement credits when purchasing a SoulCycle bike with the Platinum Card (up to 15 bikes per year).
- Uber: Up to $200 in credits when using the Platinum Card for Uber/ UberEATS purchases. Applies to the primary account holder only.
Keep in mind that the Platinum Card from Amex features a new $695 annual fee. That fee is by far the largest of any card by a major issuer, trailing only invite-only cards or ultra-luxury credit cards like the Mastercard® Gold Card™ from Luxury Card.
The Capital One® Savor® Cash Rewards Card is consistently one of the best entertainment credit cards on the market today. The $95 annual fee card earns an impressive 4% cash back on dining and entertainment, 2% back at grocery stores, and 1% cash back on all other eligible purchases.
The Savor also comes with complementary Postmates food delivery. This entertainment benefit offers $99 in value, effectively recouping the $95 annual fee – and earning 4% back on each order!
Other features of the Savor Cash Rewards Card include:
- $300 cash back sign-up bonus after making $3,000 in eligible purchases within the first three months of account opening
- Rewards never expire if the account is open and in good standing
- No foreign transaction fees
- World Mastercard benefits and protections
The U.S. Bank Cash+™ Visa Signature® Card gives cardholders the power to decide how they earn their cash back. The card earns 5% cash back on two select categories of the cardholder’s choosing, 2% back on one “everyday” category, and 1% back on all other purchases.
Those 5% back categories are varied and include a selection of entertainment-centric categories like movies, streaming, fast food, transit, and more. The 2% back “every day” selections also offer value, including typical rewards categories like groceries, gas, and dining.
Other noteworthy features of the Cash+ Card from U.S. Bank include:
- No annual fee
- 0% intro APR for 15 billing cycles on purchases and balance transfers
- $200 cash back sign-up bonus after spending $1,000 in eligible purchases within the first 120 days of account opening
The Venmo Visa Card might not be the first card that comes to mind for New Year’s, but maybe it should be – after all, spotting a friend cash or pitching in for food is a key part of get-togethers. The Venmo Visa makes this process simple, thanks to a mobile-first card experience and seamless integration with the Venmo mobile app.
Earning rewards with the Venmo Visa Card is also simple. The card earns up to 3% cash back on eligible purchases in the cardholder’s top spending category, plus 2% back on their next highest spending category. The bonus 3% and 2% categories include staples like entertainment, groceries, transit, travel, dining, nightlife, and more.
Want some more last-minute entertainment credit card options to consider? Here are two cards that just missed out on our top spots:
The Capital One® SavorOne® Cash Rewards Credit Card is targeted at customers who frequently find themselves in a restaurant or at a show, because the card earns 3% cash back on dining, entertainment, grocery store, and select streaming services purchases – with no limits.
The Citi® Double Cash Card is a cash back credit card with a unique twist. Cardholders earn 2% back on every eligible purchase: 1% back at the time of sale and an additional 1% back when they pay their balance. Cash back is redeemable for statement credits, direct deposits, checks, or ThankYou points.