Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on June 1st, 2021
Sun Country Airlines® Visa Signature® Card
Earn 25,000 Points
- Regular Purchase APR 14.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 14.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 25.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee $69
- Credit Needed Excellent , Good
- Processing Network Visa
- 3 points per $1 spent on Sun Country purchases
- 2 points per $1 spent on gas & groceries
- 1 point per $1 spent everywhere else
- No foreign transaction fees
- Regular Purchase APR: 14.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 14.99% to 22.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 25.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $15 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Annual Fee: $69
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $35
At a Glance
The Sun Country Airlines® Visa Signature® Card is a dependable airline credit card ideal for those who primarily travel to and from major U.S. cities or whose international travels fall during the popular travel seasons.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Primarily travel to and from major U.S. cities
- Plan on visiting in Mexico, Central America, or the Caribbean during peak travel season
- Will spend $1,500 within the first 3 months and take advantage of the 35,000 sign up bonus points ($350 value)
- Will spend $10,000 per year to take advantage of the 10,000 bonus points ($100 value)
Sun Country Airlines® Visa Signature® Card Review
With a surprising number of perks, the Sun Country Airlines® Visa Signature® Card offers savings on the already affordable flight and vacation packages as well as enhanced inflight experiences. For a limited time, cardholders can earn 25,000 points (a $250 value) after spending $1,500 within the first 3 months.
How to Earn Rewards
Sun Country purchases will earn 3X points per $1 spent, gas & groceries will 2 points per dollar, and all other purchases will earn 1X points. This card does have an annual fee of $69, but if you spend a minimum of $10,000 per year, you’ll receive a 10,000-point anniversary bonus (worth $100) that immediately makes up for the cost of the card.
The Sun Country Airlines® Visa Signature® Card excels in is creating a VIP experience from booking to landing. Cardholders will enjoy 50% off seat selections and one bag for both themselves and a passenger traveling when on the same flight (a potential savings of $55 per person), free priority boarding (a $10 value), and 1 free premium drink. Sun Country already makes for a pleasant flight with their regular amenities, so being a cardholder is the icing on the cake.
Things to Consider Before Applying
As the 5th largest budget airline in the country, Sun Country offers affordable flights to nearly every major U.S. city, however, it will require being near a Sun Country hub to take advantage of them. International destinations, however, are limited to Mexico, Central America, or the Caribbean.
Non-domestic flights are further restricted by seasonality – meaning those who want to take advantage of off-peak season savings will have to find another airline. As such, the Sun Country Airlines® Visa Signature® Card has a very niche audience and will only appeal to those in particular regions of the country.
If you’re currently a member of the Sun Country loyalty program and can’t decide whether the Sun Country Airlines® Visa Signature® Card is worth the $69 annual fee, one of the primary differences is the longevity of reward points. Whereas points expire every 3 years for general members, cardholder’s points never expire as long as the account is open and in good standing.
Paired with an uncapped point limit, this removes any pressure from loyal Sun Country flyers to keep track of when their points were earned or risking points being wasted. Redeeming your points is straightforward: every 100 points = $1, there are no blackout dates, and points can be used in conjunction with dollars or gift cards to cover the balance of a booking. Points can also be used for checking baggage or upgrading seats.
Should You Apply for the Sun Country Airlines® Visa Signature® Card?
Overall, Sun Country Airlines® Visa Signature® Card has great potential to be the travel credit card of choice for those near a Sun County hub. With a very reasonable $69 annual fee, this card provides multiple opportunities to recoup the cost with 50% off seat selection and baggage and the 10,000 bonus anniversary points.
While the 2X dining and gas rewards could make the card eligible for everyday use, finding flights to redeem points for could be a challenge. Cardholders should switch to a more flexible rewards credit card after spending the minimum $10,000 per year.