Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on April 26th, 2022
Morgan Stanley Blue Cash Preferred® Card
- Regular Purchase APR 14.24% to 24.24% variable based on creditworthiness the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 25.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95
Credit NeededBestCards.com uses a variation of FICO Score 8, which is one of many different types of credit scores. A financial institution may use a different score when deciding whether to approve you for a credit card.Excellent , Good
- Intro Purchase APR 0% for 12 months from account opening date
- Processing Network American Express
- No annual fee for the first year
- 6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%)
- 6% Cash Back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions
- 3% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations and on transit (including taxis/rideshare, parking, tolls, trains, buses and more)
- 1% Cash Back on other purchases
- Intro Purchase APR: 0% for 12 months from account opening date
- Regular Purchase APR: 14.24% to 24.24% variable based on creditworthiness the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR: 25.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee: $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 2.7% of the transaction amount in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
Browse these credit card deals and thousands of other offers by becoming a Bestcards Member.Join today!
At a Glance
Through the Blue Cash Preferred® card, Morgan Stanley brokerage account holders can earn sizable cash back rewards on purchases in common categories, including 6% cash back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 in annual purchases (then 1%), 3% cash back at U.S. gas stations and select U.S. department stores, and 1% on all other purchases. They’ll also enjoy a $100 statement credit every year they use their card to make at least $15,000 in eligible purchases.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Have a Morgan Stanley brokerage account
- Will spend a lot of money on groceries to take advantage 6% cash back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 in annual purchases (then 1% after that).
- Are excited at the prospect of earning 6% cash back with select streaming services.
- Want to capitalize on your commute with 3% cash back at U.S. gas stations (and select U.S. department stores).
- Will take advantage of 3% cash back on transit (taxis/rideshare, parking and tolls, trains, buses and more), and 1% on all other purchases.
Morgan Stanley Blue Cash Preferred® from American Express Card Review
The Morgan Stanley Blue Cash Preferred® card offers impressive cash back bonuses in can appeal to nearly everyone with an eligible brokerage account.
Cash Back Bonanza
At 6% cash back at U.S. supermarket purchases on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1% on purchases after that), 3% cash back at U.S. gas stations and select U.S. department stores, and 1% on all other purchases, you’ll be receiving cash back in the form of Membership Rewards Dollars that can be redeemed as statement credits in no time. In this regards the card is somewhat of a competitor for the impressive Chase Freedom Flex (or even the Chase Freedom Unlimited).
A recent update to this card offers cardholders 6% cash back with select streaming subscriptions, and an additional 3% cash back when they pay for transit services like trains and buses, rideshare services, taxis, parking, and tolls using their new American Express card. This is an impressive array of cash back rewards that is not found on more than a handful of rewards cards. Best of all, cash back can be applied towards statement credits, gift cards, and merchandise!
Welcome Offer of a Low Introductory APR
Because of the extra points-earning potential of the Blue Cash Preferred® card, it has a $95 annual fee, compared to the no annual fee of the American Express Blue Cash Everyday® card. The Preferred® card does, however, feature a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable APR between 13.99% to 23.99%.
Special Morgan Stanley Bonus
Because the card is only available to Morgan Stanley customers, it comes with an equally exclusive annual bonus. Cardmembers earn a $100 statement credit after spending $15,000 on eligible purchases per calendar year on the Morgan Stanley Blue Cash Preferred Card.
American Express Consumer Protections
American Express offers cardholders a myriad of protections for issues, including both travel benefits (such as vehicle rental loss and damage insurance) and Purchase Protection if an eligible purchase is stolen or accidentally damaged, such as a dropped smartphone. Cardmembers can also take advantage of two payment options: Pay It® or Plan It®. Pay It® allows members to pay off small purchase amounts in one go, whereas Plan It® allows the splitting up of larger purchases into several smaller payments over a number of months (see terms)
With American Express’s Global Assist hotline, you’ll be covered if you experience card issues or your card is lost or stolen, no matter where you are in the world. Get assistance with customs information, lost passport replacement, missing luggage, translation services and even emergency legal and medical referrals.
Shopping and Entertainment
For those who love shopping and entertainment, the Morgan Stanley Blue Cash Preferred® card offers free 2-day shipping through ShopRunner on any eligible purchases from any one of over 100 network online retailers. American Express cardmembers can also use Entertainment Access®, which offers exclusive access to pre-sale tickets for the hottest concert tours sports, and events in your area, as well as tickets to Broadway shows.
Should You Apply for the Morgan Stanley Blue Cash Preferred Amex Card?
When considering the Morgan Stanley Blue Cash Preferred credit card from American Express, it’s important to evaluate priorities – while 6% cash back on groceries, 3% cash back on gas and 1% on everything else is an attractive offer, is it worth $95 per year?
The answer will depend on your spending habits – in order to offset the nearly $100 annual fee, you’ll need to be focused on spending a lot of money in order to earn enough cash back to pay for that fee, and even more if you want to get cash back to keep for yourself. For those unsure, a general purpose card, like the Citi Custom Cash℠ Card might be a better fit.
The information related to Citi Custom Cash Card has been collected by BestCards.com and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer or provider of this product or service.