Discover it® Chrome for Students
Earn up to 2% Cash Back
- Regular Purchase APR 12.99% to 21.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 12.99% to 21.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 24.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
- Credit Needed Fair , No Credit Required
- Intro Purchase APR 0% for 6 months from date of account opening date
- Processing Network Discover
- Get $20 statement credit each school year your GPA is 3.0 or higher for up to next five years
- Earn 2% cash back at gas and restaurants on up to $1,000 in combined purchases each quarter. Plus 1% cash back on all other purchases
- Discover matches all the cash back you've earned at the end of your first year, automatically
- Cash back rewards do not expired and can be redeemed at any time
- 0% intro APR on purchases for 6 months
- No annual fee, no late fee on first late payment. No APR change for paying late
- Intro Purchase APR: 0% for 6 months from date of account opening date
- Regular Purchase APR: 12.99% to 21.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 10.99% for 6 months from date of first transfer
- Balance Transfer APR: 12.99% to 21.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: 3% of the amount of each transfer posted at the promotional rate. After that, 5% of the amount of each transfer
- Cash Advance APR: 24.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
At a Glance
The Discover it Chrome for Students is a student credit card and cash back rewards card that allows college students to earn 2% cash back on gas and restaurants, plus 1% cash back on everything else. In addition to not having to worry about an annual fee, students who maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher will receive a $20 statement credit each school year.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Are planning on commuting to college
- Plan to eat out rather than in the cafeteria
- Want a card that rewards a god school year – your GPA can get you extra savings
- Don’t want to pay an annual fee
Discover It® Chrome for Students Review
The Discover It Chrome for Students is an excellent option for the commuter student who wants to learn about credit responsibly, while still earning great rewards. The card earns 2% back on the first $1,000 spent each quarter on both gas station or restaurant purchases and earn unlimited 1% cash back on every other purchase. Discover will instantly match all the cash earned through the Discover Cashback Match program. If, for example, you earned $250 in cash back after your first year, Discover would match that sum, giving you an impressive $500 back automatically.
One of the great things about Discover’s student credit card offerings is that they are essentially the same as their non-student counterparts but with additional student-centric perks. The Chrome for Students Card, for example, has the same 2% cash back at gas and restaurants as the normal Discover It Chrome Gas & Restaurants Card; the same 1% back on all other purchases; and the same Discover Cashback Match – just with the addition of a good grade rebate.
The student-centric perks mentioned above include Discover’s Good Grade Reward. If you keep your GPA above 3.0, Discover will reward you each school year with a $20 statement credit. Since this bonus is good for up to five academic years, the total reward has a value of up to $100 – just for studying. Students also receive access to their FICO credit score each month free of charge.
Most student cards are light on perks. Discover, however, does things differently. Students not only receive cash back on every purchase that is matched at the end of the first year, a good grades bonus, and free FICO score access, but also 0% introductory APR for the first six months on purchases.
Other perks include no foreign transaction fees and no annual fee. 0% intro APR for six months means you can pay for your textbooks and have an entire semester to pay back the cost.
Should You Apply for the Discover It Chrome for Students Card?
If you are a student that doesn’t live on campus and commutes to class, the Discover It Chrome for Students is an excellent option to consider. Most student cards don’t offer much beyond the opportunity to build credit. The Chrome for Students, on the other hand, allows you to build a solid credit history while earning cash back for your commute – how great is that?
Discover’s Cashback Match ensures that all the cash back you earn from purchases when filling up the tank, enjoying Taco Tuesday, or even making purchases at the school bookstore is doubled after the first year The addition of a $20 statement credit for good grades each year means the bonuses never have to stop, however, with up to $100 earnable for excelling in the classroom.
Building credit while in school is an important financial step, and the Discover It Chrome for Students is a great way to establish responsible credit practices and work your way up to other, more lucrative credit card offers in the future.