Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on October 28th, 2022
Amtrak Guest Rewards® Preferred Mastercard®
Amtrak Guest Rewards® Preferred Mastercard®
30,000 Bonus Points
- Regular Purchase APR 25.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 25.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 28.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee $99
Credit NeededBestCards.com uses a variation of FICO Score 8, which is one of many different types of credit scores. A financial institution may use a different score when deciding whether to approve you for a credit card.Excellent , Good
- Processing Network Mastercard
- Earn 3 points per $1 spent* on Amtrak travel, including onboard purchases
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent* on dining, travel, transit and rideshare
- 1 point per $1 spent* everywhere else
- Amtrak benefits, including station lounge passes, one-class upgrade certificates, and more
- Regular Purchase APR: 25.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 25.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 28.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $15 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Annual Fee: $99
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $41
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $35
Browse these credit card deals and thousands of other offers by becoming a Bestcards Member.Join today!
At a Glance
For those who prefer to travel with Amtrak, the Amtrak Guest Rewards® Preferred Mastercard® offers high-speed rewards, first-class perks, and more – for a $99 annual fee.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Travel often by train
- Frequently make purchases with Amtrak
- Are looking for a travel credit card with no foreign transaction fees
- Want to earn points through the Amtrak Guest Rewards® program
Amtrak Guest Rewards® Preferred Mastercard® Review
The Amtrak Guest Rewards® Preferred Mastercard® earns up to 3X points on travel purchases while providing lounge access, a companion certificate, and more.
30,000-Point Welcome Offer
The premium Amtrak Guest Rewards Preferred Mastercard features a welcome bonus worth more than double than that of the no annual fee version of the card. New cardholders can earn 30,000 bonus points after making at least $1,000 in purchases within the first three billing cycles of account opening. Thirty-thousand points have a cash back value of $300, making this introductory offer equal to 30% cash back on the first $1,000 spent.
How to Earn Rewards with the Amtrak Guest Rewards® Preferred Mastercard®
The Amtrak Guest Rewards Preferred Card earns points towards the Amtrak Guest Rewards loyalty program.
As a travel rewards credit card, the Amtrak Guest Rewards Preferred Mastercard earns its greatest rewards on travel purchases. Cardholders earn 3X points per $1 spent on Amtrak travel, including onboard purchases; 2X on dining, travel, transit, and rideshare purchases; and 1X points per $1 spent everywhere else.
Amtrak Guest Rewards points expire if the account is inactive for 24 months. Fortunately, keeping your Amtrak Guest Rewards account current is simple – just book a fare with Amtrak, or use the Amtrak Guest Rewards Preferred Card to make a purchase anywhere Mastercard is accepted (with no foreign transaction fees).
How to Redeem Rewards Amtrak Guest Rewards® Preferred Mastercard®
Amtrak Guest Rewards offers several redemption options for members. The simplest way to redeem points is by booking award travel with Amtrak. Members can book travel with Amtrak from as low as 800 points, providing scenic access to more than 500 stops across the United States.
Beyond Amtrak fares and upgrades, travel-conscious cardholders can also use their points to redeem for hotels, car rentals, and even cruises. Beyond travel, points apply towards event bookings and experiences, gift cards, or merchandise through the Amtrak Guest Rewards shopping portal.
The $99 annual fee with the Amtrak Guest Rewards Preferred Card provides a level of luxury not found with the no annual fee version of the card. Cardholders can expect the following:
- One complimentary companion coupon upon account opening and card anniversary
- One complimentary class upgrade upon account opening and card anniversary
- ClubAcela® station lounge pass for access to ClubAcela, Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge or First class
- 5% Amtrak Guest Rewards point rebate when you book your Amtrak redemption
- 20% statement credit rebate for onboard food and beverage purchases
- Earn 1,000 TQPs (Tier Qualifying Points) each time you make $5,000 in qualifying purchases
Other Card Features
Other notable features of the Amtrak Guest Rewards® Preferred Mastercard® include EMV chip technology, mobile wallet compatibility, and Mastercard benefits and protections, including:
|Zero Liability Protection||Mastercard Global Services||ID Theft Protection|
Should You Apply for the Amtrak Guest Rewards® Preferred Mastercard®?
Overall, the Amtrak Guest Rewards® Preferred Mastercard® more than justifies its $99 annual fee. The companion coupon and station lounge pass – both awarded annually – easily recoup the greater chunk of the annual fee, with the welcome offer claiming the rest of that annual fee charge.
Amtrak Guest Rewards might not be a loyalty program you are familiar with, but if you live in a major metropolitan area and commute to work, it is one you should acquaint yourself immediately. The card earns accelerated rewards in the program, making it easy to find value for money with the card.