Last updated on April 11th, 2023
Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card
Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card
- 17.99% to 27.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Regular Purchase APR
- 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate Cash Advance APR
- 0% for 12 months from account opening date Intro Purchase APR
At a Glance
The Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card touts 3X points at U.S .supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, 2X points at U.S. gas stations and 1X points on other eligible purchases. Plus, when you make 30 or more purchases with your card in a billing period, you’ll earn 50% more points on those purchases (minus returns and credits).
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- 3X points per $1 at supermarkets (up to $6,000)
- 2X points per $1 at gas stations
- 1X points per $1 on other eligible purchases
- Earn 50% more points when you make 30+ purchases with your Card in a billing period
- 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers for 12 months
- Intro Purchase APR: 0% for 12 months from account opening date
- Regular Purchase APR: 17.99% to 27.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR: 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee: $95
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 2.7% of the transaction amount in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- You want 3x points at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, 2x points at U.S. gas stations and 1x points on all other purchases
- You will spend $1,000 within the first three months of the account opening in order to earn 15,000 Membership Rewards® points welcome offer
- You're likely to make 30 or more purchases with your card in a billing period to earn a massive 50% extra points on those purchases
Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit CardTerms & Conditions ,
The Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card Review
If you regularly spend a lot on gasoline and groceries, the Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card is a reliable rewards card to consider, as it features 3X points at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, 2X points at U.S. gas stations, and 1X points on all other purchases (save for returns and credits), a similar rate to the Citi Rewards+® Card. Spending just $1,000 on purchases within the first three months of the account opening also qualifies new cardholders for a one-time welcome offer bonus of 15,000 Membership Rewards® points.
Earn Extra Points, Redeem for Travel and More
Making 30 or more purchases with your Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card in a billing period earns you 50% extra points on those purchases (minus returns and credits). The Amex EveryDay® Preferred card’s impressive points collection allows members to use their accumulated rewards in a diverse fashion. Cardholders can transfer points to frequent traveler programs, such as Delta SkyMiles®, pay for their travel when they book their trip at American Express Travel, use points for rewards from over 500 leading brands in gift cards, entertainment, merchandise or more, or even use their points towards eligible card purchases.
Amex EveryDay® Preferred cardholders can also take advantage of complimentary membership with ShopRunner, which provides free 2-day shipping on all eligible orders from over 100 online vendors.
Great Value from Introductory Offers
The card offers a 0% introductory APR on purchases for the first year, with a variable APR after that, depending on both creditworthiness and Prime Rate. The annual fee of $95 and standard interest rates are similar to those available in comparable travel rewards cards or 0% introductory APR credit cards. That rate is on par, though slightly less impressive, than cards with the longest intro APR periods – namely the Citi Simplicity® Card and Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card.
American Express Cardholder Protections
As with other available American Express cards, the Amex EveryDay® Preferred card gives members an extensive array of protections. The protective features include Purchase Protection for the theft or accidental damage on any eligible card purchases, as well as an additional two years of warranty coverage for select items that offer manufacturer warranties of 5 years in length or less. The card also provides fraud protection, meaning cardholders are not held financially liable for any unexpected transactions that may occur.
Amex Everyday Vs. Everyday Preferred
|Card||EveryDay Credit Card||EveryDay Preferred|
|Rewards rate||Earn 2X points per $1 at supermarkets (up to $6,000) and 1X on all other purchases||Earn 3X points per $1 at supermarkets (up to $6,000) and 1X on all other purchases|
|Best perk||Earn 20% extra points when you make 20+ purchases in a billing period||Earn 50% more points when you make 30+ purchases with your Card in a billing period|
|Annual fee||No annual fee||$95 annual fee|
Should You Apply for the Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card?
If you’re on the fence about the Amex EveryDay Preferred Credit Card, it’s a good idea to weigh the benefits this card affords you against the annual fee and interest rates to decide if it is the right fit for your financial needs. American Express also offers the Amex EveryDay Credit Card, which is essentially a simpler version of this card without an annual fee, meaning you may find better value in a card that doesn’t have a yearly subscription fee of nearly $100. If you know you will use the EveryDay Preferred card frequently at supermarkets and gas stations, it may be worth spending a bit of extra cash to get the additional rewards-earning power. Also consider the Citi Premier® Card for an everyday credit card with a modest annual fee.
The information related to Citi Simplicity Card and Citi Diamond Preferred Card has been collected by BestCards.com and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer or provider of this product or service