Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on March 8th, 2021
- $100 Card statement credit if your qualifying Schwab holdings are equal to or greater than $250,000
- $200 Card statement credit if your qualifying Schwab holdings are equal to or greater than $1,000,000
- 5x points on bookings through Amextravel.com
- Cash Advance APR: 25.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greate
- Annual Fee: $550
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- 33% off a monthly subscription - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- 50% off for up to 12 months - Offer Expires on January 03, 2022 - See Details
- Spend $125 or more, get $25 back. Up to 2 times (total of $50). - Offer Expires on May 07, 2021 - See Details
- Spend $25 or more, get $5 back - Offer Expires on May 07, 2021 - See Details
- Spend $100 or more, get $30 back - Offer Expires on June 20, 2021 - See Details
- Spend $150 or more, get $30 back - Offer Expires on April 29, 2021 - See Details
- Spend $50 or more, get $10 back - Offer Expires on May 01, 2021 - See Details
- Spend $250 or more, get $50 back - Offer Expires on April 30, 2021 - See Details
- Spend $75 or more, get $15 back - Offer Expires on May 09, 2021 - See Details
- Spend $100 or more, get $25 back - Offer Expires on May 01, 2021 - See Details
- View All Deals -
At a Glance
The American Express Platinum Card® for Schwab offers cardholders an impressive 5x Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com and the ability to earn up to 60,000 Membership Rewards® points within the first three months of their card membership. Factor in other perks, such as airport lounge access through the American Express Global Lounge Collection℠ and the possibility of a Schwab appreciation bonus should an account holders’ Schwab holdings exceed at least $250,000, and this card is a powerful rewards tool for the frequent traveler.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Frequently travel for business or pleasure
- Want access to over 1,200 lounges worldwide
- Want to earn 5x points on your flight and hotel bookings
Amex Platinum Card® for Schwab Review
One of the marquee benefits that boosts the impressive American Express Platinum Card® for Schwab includes 5x Membership Rewards® points on flights and prepaid hotels on amextravel.com. Cardholders also benefit from no foreign transaction fees, making this a potent bit of plastic for the frequent world traveler – either for business or pleasure. New members can also earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $5,000 on purchase within the first 3 months of card membership, which is an enticing welcome bonus with a cash value of around $750.
How to Redeem Amex Membership Rewards
As with other loyalty programs, Amex Membership Rewards points apply to a wide variety of redemption options. Those redemption options include:
- Statement credits
- Shopping for merchandise
- Gift Cards
- Charitable donations
- Partner transfers
Flexible Airline/Hotel Rewards
The flexibility of the American Express Platinum travel card makes it a great option for those who aren’t loyal to a particular airline or want more than just travel perks. As such, point earnings can be redeemed for:
- Travel, including flights, cruises and hotels
- Merchandise through select stores
- Gift cards from select companies
- Statement credits toward eligible purchases on your bill
That said, you also have the option to transfer your rewards to a number of partnered loyalty programs. More importantly, you’ll need to choose a particular airline in order to access the $200 airline fee credit this card includes.
Each year you can select an eligible carrier and put this credit toward baggage fees and other incidentals, as long as you use your card to pay. Qualifying companies include but aren’t limited to: Hawaiian Airlines, Delta, Spirit, Southwest and Alaska Airlines.
This flexibility means you may miss out on some of the loyalty perks that dedicated airline cards typically provide, such as complimentary tickets or in-flight discounts. However, you’ll be able to put your points toward the carrier with the best price for your travel plans.
Note: You may need to have a minimum amount of points in order to start redeeming, depending on your redemption option. For example, you need at least 5,000 points to redeem with American Express Travel. After cashing in your introductory bonus, you’ll need to spend about $1,000 to build your points back up to this level.
Current Amex Membership Rewards Transfer Partners
Other Amex Platinum Card® for Schwab Features
The Amex Platinum Card® for Schwab also features a statement credit for Global Entry or TSA Precheck® (every 4.5 years for TSA Precheck®, and every 4 years for Global Entry) and access to over 1,200 luxurious airport lounges in the American Express Global Lounge Collection. Because of these benefits, constant travelers may have found their next favorite travel partner with this card.
Since the American Express Platinum Card® for Schwab is geared towards the traveler, the addition of Uber ride perks is another excellent feature. Cardholders receive $15 in Uber credits each month with their card membership, plus an additional $20 each December, meaning even after leaving the airport the AMEX Platinum Card pays dividends.
The Amex Platinum Card® for Schwab features an annual fee of $550, which may sound steep, but it is more than made up for with the handsome rewards it provides. Cardholders also benefit from the exceptional customer service that American Express has become renowned for over the years, as well as acceptance at over 1.6 million locations across the United States, and millions more around the world.
Should You Apply for the American Express Platinum Card® for Schwab?
Overall, the American Express Platinum Card® for Schwab offers value far exceeding its hefty annual fee. While this card may not be for everybody, for the frequent traveler, there aren’t many better rewards cards available today. The $200 airline fee credit, combined with $100 for Global Entry, $200 in Uber Cash and the $100 hotel credit already gives you a value of $600 in your first year. During years when you can’t cash in on Global Entry, you’ll have a difference of about $50.