Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Marriott Bonvoy Bevy™ American Express
Marriott Bonvoy Bevy™ American Express
- Regular Purchase APR 18.74% to 27.74% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 28.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee $250
Credit NeededBestCards.com uses a variation of FICO Score 8, which is one of many different types of credit scores. A financial institution may use a different score when deciding whether to approve you for a credit card.Excellent , Good
- Processing Network American Express
- Earn up to 18.5X total points for every $1 spent at hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy
- Earn 4X points per $1 on the first $15,000 spent in combined purchases each year on grocery stores and US dining
- Earn 2X points per $1 spent on all other purchases
- 1,000 Bonus Points per each stay at a hotel participating in Marriott Bonvoy
- Receive 15 Elite Night Credits per calendar year and automatic Gold Elite status each account anniversary year as a cardmember
- Regular Purchase APR: 18.74% to 27.74% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR: 28.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee: $250
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
At a Glance
The Marriott Bonvoy Bevy™ American Express Credit Card earns big rewards but has a hefty price tag. The card earns up to 18.5X on Marriott stays 4X on US dining and groceries, and 2X on everything else but charges a $250 annual fee.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Plan to stay at Marriott properties often
- Spend heavily on groceries and US dining purchases
- Don’t want to pay foreign transaction fees
- Already have another Amex credit card or prefer the Amex network to Visa
Marriott Bonvoy Bevy™ American Express Credit Card Review
125,000-Point Welcome Bonus
How to Earn Rewards
The Bevy Card earns up to 18.5X points per dollar at hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy. That 18.5X breaks down as 6X points per $1 spent with the Bevy Card, up to 10X from Marriott for being a loyalty member, and 2.5X points through the complimentary gold Elite status.
The Marriott Bonvoy Bevy also earns up to 4X points per $1 spent on US dining and grocery store purchases. Cardmembers earn 4X points per $1 on the first $15,000 spent in combined purchases each year on grocery stores and US dining, and 2X points after that. They’ll also earn 2X points on all other purchases with the card. Again, these features are identical to the Bountiful Visa Signature.
How to Redeem Marriott Bonvoy Points
Bonvoy points travel depends on the time of year and the hotel. This is because the program labels eligible hotels with varying values.
Cardmembers can use points for free nights at either standard or discounted rates, as available, or pay for a portion of the room and use points for a discount. Some standard rooms are available for as few as 5,000 points a night during the off-season. If that’s not enough value, anytime you book four nights; you get a complimentary 5th night to extend your rewards even further.
Redeeming for free nights at your favorite Marriott Bonvoy locations is usually considered the best choice for value. However, other redemption options include airline tickets, gift cards, charity donations, or hotel stay upgrades, including spa access and room service.
Marriott Bonvoy points expire after 24 months with qualifying activities on the account. Fortunately, keeping an account active is as easy as using the Bonvoy Bevy Card to make a purchase. Additionally, points may be forfeited (and the Bnvoy member account closed) after five years of inactivity.
Additional Free Night Award and Elite Status
Like other premium Marriott Bonvoy credit cards, the Bevy provides a Free Night Award certificate every calendar year. Unfortunately, that fee night comes after meeting the spending requirement: $15,000 in a calendar year. The Chase Bonvoy Boundless, which features a $95 annual fee, offers the same Free Night Award without the sending requirements.
Fortunately, the Bevy provides Gold Elite status in the Marriott Bonvoy program, whereas the Boundless offers Silver Elite status. Gold Elite tier earns a 25% bonus on points earned. Members earn 12.5 points for every $1 spent with most Marriott brands and 6.25 points for every $1 at long-stay hotels.
Here is how the Bevy Card stacks up with the Bonvoy Brilliant Card, the other premium Bonvoy credit card from American Express:
Other Card Features
Other notable features of the Marriott Bonvoy Bevy Credit Card include no foreign transaction fees, complimentary in-room, premium internet access while staying at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels, and American Express benefits and consumer protections. These include car rental loss and damage insurance, Global Assist hotline access, comprehensive fraud protection, and more.
Since Bevy is an American Express credit card, cardholders can take advantage of Amex’s Plan It. The Plan It program allows Amex cardholders to split up large purchases over time and pay them back at a fixed, monthly fee – with no interest. Plans can start with purchases as low as $100, making this feature a great way to pay down travel purchases over time.
FAQs About the Marriott Bonvoy
Here are some of the most commonly asked questions regarding the Marriott Bonvoy loyalty program, along with the answers:
- Marriott is the common name not only for a chain within the Marriott portfolio, but also for the chain as a whole. Marriott Bonvoy, on the other hand, refers to the chain’s loyalty program.
- Bonvoy points expire after 24 months without qualifying activity.
- You can contact Marriott customer service representatives at 1-800-535-4028.
Should You Apply for the Marriott Bonvoy Bevy Credit Card?
The Marriott Bonvoy Bevy Card from American Express is something of a letdown. The reason for the disappointment is that the card is exactly the same as the Marriott Bonvoy Bountiful from Chase. While that is frustrating, the Bountiful is overpriced versus the Bonvoy Boundless, which features an annual fee $155 lesser than the Bevy or Bountiful.
The Boundless earns 1X less than the Bevy or Bountiful on stays with Bonvoy partners, but with a $155 difference in the annual fee. Sure, the Bevy offers 4X on dining and groceries and 1,000 bonus points per eligible stay, but that is limited to US dining, meaning it isn’t worth $155 more for the dedicated traveler.
Ultimately, the Bevy is ideal for the Marriott Bonvoy fanatic or business traveler who spends most of their time traveling within the US prefers the American Express experience versus Chase, and can’t justify the $650 annual fee with the ultra-premium Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant.