Last updated on May 11th, 2023
Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Sportsman's Warehouse Explorewards Visa®
Sportsman's Warehouse Explorewards Visa®
- 19.99% or 28.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Regular Purchase APR
- 26.99% Balance Transfer APR
- 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate Cash Advance APR
At a Glance
If you’re the type that loves to get your hands dirty and rough it in the great outdoors, the Sportsman’s Warehouse Explorewards Visa® would be a great fit. Earn unlimited points at Sportsman’s Warehouse, gas stations, campgrounds, and home improvement stores; then redeem them for Sportsman’s Warehouse gift cards.
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- 5X points per dollar spent at Sportsma's Warehouse
- 2X points per dollar spent at gas/fuel stations
- 2X points per dollar spent at campgrounds
- 2X points per dollar spent at home improvement stores
- 1X points per dollar spent everywhere else
- Unlimited earning
- Rewards do't expire
- No annual fee
- Regular Purchase APR: 19.99% or 28.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 26.99%
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each balance transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 3% of each transaction in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $41
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $41
- You live in the Western U.S. or Alaska
- You want rewards for home improvement or camping
- You will spend $500 within the first 4 months of opening the card
- You want a card with no annual fee
Sportsman's Warehouse Explorewards Visa®Terms & Conditions
Sportsman’s Warehouse Explorewards Visa® Review
Earn up to 5X points with Sportsman’s Warehouse Explorewards Visa®, the brand-new no-annual-fee credit card from the largest outdoor specialty store in the Western U.S and Alaska. Issued by Comenity Bank, this card is ideal for outdoorsy types, this retail card also offers bonus points for purchases at gas stations, campgrounds, and home improvement stores. Points can be redeemed for top-quality gear and clothing from Sportman’s Warehouse via eGift Cards.
New cardholders can kickstart their earnings with the Explorewards Visa® by earnings 5,000 points (a $50 value) after spending $500 outside of Sportsman’s Warehouse within 120 days of opening an account – that’s one more month than most other credit cards allow to qualify for a signup bonus. Afterward, cardholders will have the opportunity to partake in cardholder-exclusive sales and special offers.
In terms of long-term earning potential, the Explorewards Visa® has well-designed categories that are specific to outdoor-related activities:
- 5X points on Sportsman’s Warehouse purchases
- 2X points on gas stations
- 2X points at campgrounds
- 2X points at home improvement stores
- 1X points for all other pictures
Even if you already have a set lineup of credit cards, the specificity of its rewards means it runs little risk of overlapping with your current rewards cards (and avoids the conflict of having to choose which card to use for what).
The card features unlimited earning in all categories and cardholders can choose when they redeem their points. Each point has an individual value of $0.01 and won’t expire as long the account has activity every 12 months. There is one drawback of the Explorewards Visa® — but it’s tiny. Points can only be redeemed for Sportsman’s Warehouse gift cards, which will leave those who love cash back with no luck. However, it’s easy to overlook the limited redemption options as there are virtually no other point redemption restrictions beyond that.
There is no minimum amount of points required for redemption, nor is there a maximum number of points that can be redeemed at one time (you could redeem for a 1 cent gift card if you felt inclined to do so). Even better is that there is no limit on how many gift cards (or their worth), that could be applied to a single purchase. If you’re drawing close to the 1-year mark of inactivity but aren’t in need of outdoor gear, feel free to redeem however many (or few) points you have since eGift Cards never expire.
Should You Apply for the Sportsman’s Warehouse Explorewards Visa?
Overall, the Sportsman’s Warehouse Explorewards Visa® credit card is a strong retail card geared towards hunting, fishing, camping, boating and other outdoor activities. In terms of redemption, this card is very similar to the Bass Pro Shops® CLUB Card / Cabela’s CLUB® Card but features a stronger signup bonus and many more opportunities to earn bonus points outside of store purchases.
If being able to have an in-store shopping experience is important, you may be better off choosing the Bass Pro Shops or Cabela’s credit card. These competing outdoor brands have double the brick-and-mortar locations of Sportsman’s Warehouse (95 compared to Bass Pro Shops’ 171) and includes locations in Canada. If you’re located in the Western United States or primarily shop for outdoor gear online, the Explorewards Visa® is the more lucrative option between the two.