Last updated on May 23rd, 2023
Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Hilton Honors American Express Card
Hilton Honors American Express Card
- 20.74% to 29.74% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate Regular Purchase APR
- 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate Cash Advance APR
At a Glance
With the Hilton Honors American Express Card, you can earn thousands of Hilton Honors Bonus Points after meeting a manageable spending requirement within your first three months of membership. Coupled with that impressive welcome offer is the ability to earn 7X Hilton Honors Bonus Points per dollar spent on direct Hilton hotel and resort purchases, 5X points on eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets, and gas stations, and 3X points per dollar on all other eligible purchases.
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- Earn 70,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points and a Free Night Reward after you spend $1,000 in purchases on the Card in the first 3 months of Card Membership
- Earn 7X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases charged directly with hotels and resorts within the Hilton portfolio
- Earn 5X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. supermarkets, and at U.S. gas stations
- Earn 3X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for all other eligible purchases on your Card
- No Foreign Transaction Fees. Enjoy international travel without additional fees on purchases made abroad
- Enjoy complimentary Hilton Honors Silver status with your Card. Plus, spend $20,000 on eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year and you can earn an upgrade to Hilton Honors Gold status through the end of the next calendar year
- No Annual Fee
- Terms Apply
- Regular Purchase APR: 20.74% to 29.74% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR: 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- You often rent rooms at Hilton properties when you travel and want to earn a huge welcome bonus in Hilton Honors Points after making eligible purchases within the first three months of being a card member
- You want to earn 7X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for direct Hilton purchases, 5X points on select travel purchases, and 3X points on all other eligible purchases
- You do not want to pay annual fees or foreign transaction fees with their hotel rewards card
- You want complimentary Hilton Honors Silver status
Hilton Honors American Express CardTerms & Conditions ,
Hilton Honors American Express Card Review
Having the Hilton Honors American Express Card in your pocket means that you have access to essential Hilton Honors benefits and lucrative rewards in one package.
How to Earn Rewards
The Hilton Honors Card is the entry-level card in the American Express/ Hilton Honors partnership. Despite that, cardholders earn accelerated rewards that are sure to please:
- 7X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases charged directly with hotels and resorts within the Hilton portfolio
- 5X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. supermarkets, and at U.S. gas stations
- 3X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for all other eligible purchases on your Card
Those lucrative rewards are great for anyone that prioritizes their rewards for award nights. Despite that, the points totals are a bit misleading. Hotel rewards points tend to offer lower value than cash back, so the 5X on dining, gas, and groceries is likely less lucrative than the gas rewards with cards like the Costco Anywhere Visa® Card by Citi or even a flat-rate, unlimited cash back card like the Freedom Unlimited.
How to Redeem Points
The easiest way to redeem Hilton Honors points is by booking free night stays with participating Hilton properties. While Hilton claims that reward nights start as low as 5,000 points, most free nights usually cost between 30,000 and 40,000 points.
The exact rate of points required for booking a free night depends on the category of the hotel, the time of proposed booking (whether off-peak or peak season), the room is booked, and the location of the property. Silver, Gold, and Diamond Elite members also receive a complimentary 5th night free when they book standard rewards stays of five consecutive nights or more.
To book rewards nights, you’ll need to book the stay via the Hilton website or through the mobile app, and check the box labeled “Use Hilton Honors Points.”
Other redemption options include:
- Shopping: Honors points are redeemable towards merchandise through the dedicated Hilton Honors Shopping Mall, for gift certificates with some of the largest merchants in the world, or shopping with Amazon.
- Share or Pool Points: Hilton also allows members to either share their points with loved ones through gifting or pooling points with friends or family to help reach expensive redemption goals.
- Points Transfers: Hilton Honors points also transfer to the frequent flyer rewards programs of over 40 different airlines.
Related Article: The Ultimate Hilton Honors Program Guide
Complimentary Silver Status
As a Hilton Honors American Express Cardholder, you also receive complimentary Hilton Honors Silver status and all the travel perks that come with it, as well as the chance to upgrade to Gold status after spending $20,000 on eligible purchases on your card in a calendar year. Other benefits of this card include no foreign transaction fees, Return Protection of up to $1,000 in a calendar year on eligible purchases, and select vehicle rental loss and damage insurance.
Hilton Credit Card Comparison
Hilton issued four co-branded credit cards with American Express – three personal cards and one small business credit card. Here’s how the three personal credit card offers compare:
Hilton Honors Card
Hilton Honors Surpass®
Hilton Honors Aspire®
|Rewards||7X points at participating Hilton hotels and resorts; 5X points at U.S. restaurants, U.S. supermarkets, and U.S. gas stations; and 3X points on all other eligible purchases||12X points at participating Hilton hotels or resorts; 6X points at U.S. restaurants, U.S. supermarkets, and U.S. gas stations; and 3X points on all other eligible purchases||14X points on eligible purchases within the Hilton portfolio, 7X points on qualifying travel purchases made directly with airlines or eligible rental car companies or Amextravel.com, 7X points at U.S. restaurants, and 3X points on all other eligible purchases|
|Free nights||N/A||Spend $15k in a calendar year||Account anniversary and/or after spending $60k in a calendar year|
|Lounge access||N/A||10 visits||Unlimited visits|
Hilton Honors cardholders also get amazing member benefits for which American Express is best known. These benefits include:
|Extended Warranty||Return Protection||Car Rental Loss & Damage Insurance||Amex Concierge|
|Purchase Protection||Zero Fraud Liability||Trip Delay Insurance||Amex Offers|
The Amex benefits begin with Purchase Protection, which covers accidental damage or theft to select purchases (up to 120 days after the occurrence and up to $1,000 per instance; $50,000 per the calendar year cap) and Pay it Plan It®, American Express’ two different options for paying down your balance. Cardholders have the option of splitting up large purchases into smaller, more manageable payments or simply paying off their balance each month.
American Express members also get free 2-day shipping on eligible purchases from an ever-growing online network of over 100 retailers with Shoprunner and exclusive access to ticket presales for the hottest concerts and events in town through Entertainment Access®. What’s more, Hilton Honors American Express Cardmembers can earn up to $55 in dining statement credits – up to $5 per month. This offer appeals to customers’ appetites and allows them to continue earning rewards, especially if they are unable to travel and book with Hilton.
Here is what people are saying about American Express as a bank and credit card issuer:
|BestCards||Better Business Bureau||TrustPilot|
Should You Apply for the Hilton Honors American Express Card?
What then, should you make of the Hilton Honors American Express Card? When it comes to no annual fee co-branded hotel cards, the card is likely towards the top of the pile. While the card is a “starter” card in name, it’s valued far exceeds its humble position. The huge amount of points available , the 7X points per dollar spent with Hilton, 5X points on gas, groceries, and restaurants in the U.S., and the value of Amex rewards points make this a co-branded hotel card to carefully consider – no matter your budget.
For those looking for more general rewards card, the Citi Premier® Card and Chase Sapphire Preferred feature $95 annual fees and more versatile rewards.