Capital One® Walmart Rewards™ Card
Earn Unlimited 5% Back in Walmart Stores for the First 12 Months
- Regular Purchase APR 17.99%, 23.24% or 26.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 17.99%, 23.24% or 26.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 26.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
- Credit Needed Excellent , Good
- Processing Network Mastercard
- Unlimited 5% back at Walmart.com including Grocery Pickup and Delivery
- Unlimited 2% back at Walmart stores and at Walmart and Murphy USA Fuel Stations
- Unlimited 2% back at restaurants and on travel
- Unlimited 1% back everywhere else Mastercard® is accepted
- Points never expire
- No annual fee
- No foreign transaction fee
- Regular Purchase APR: 17.99%, 23.24% or 26.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 17.99%, 23.24% or 26.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: 3% of each transfer at the promotional APR. None for balances transferred at the regular transfer APR
- Cash Advance APR: 26.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $39
At a Glance
Capital One has partnered with one of the world’s top retailers to bring shoppers the Capital One® Walmart Rewards™ Card. Boasting up to 5% back on Walmart purchases (including those from the online site, the Walmart app, Walmart delivery services, and Walmart gas stations) shoppers can enjoy additional savings on already low prices and redeem their earnings towards future purchases, statement credits, gift cards, or travel.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Primarily shop at Walmart for your groceries or household items
- Shop frequently, but not enough to warrant a wholesale club membership
- Want rewards for travel and dining
- Have a good or excellent credit score
- Prefer a Walmart credit card to a store card or a Walmart MoneyCard debit card
- Want a card with no annual fee
Capital One® Walmart Rewards™ Card Review
The Capital One® Walmart Rewards™ Card gives Walmart shoppers competitive buying power within the Walmart brand as well as impressive flexibility in points redemption. Every purchase will earn between 1-5% in points that can be redeemed at checkout, as a statement credit, for gift cards, or for travel. Having no annual fee, the Walmart Credit Card makes for a compelling retail card for anyone who shops at Walmart on an even occasional basis and fills a gap that popular rewards categories have excluded.
How to Earn Rewards
Surprisingly, the Capital One® Walmart Rewards Mastercard does not offer a signup bonus – but it’s far from a deal-breaker. Since the many rewards cards exclude Walmart from their bonus categories, the card still stands to offer significant rewards to Walmart shoppers.
- 5% back at Walmart.com (includes Grocery Pickup and Delivery)
- 2% back in Walmart stores & Walmart and Murphy USA fuel stations
- 2% back on restaurants and travel
- 1% back on everything else
During the first 12 months of opening an account, cardholders could earn 5% back in-store when paired with Walmart Pay. At first glance, it would seem that this intro offer is simply an incentive to push Walmart’s electronic payment system. However, a closer look at the Walmart Rewards credit card bonus categories reveals that cardholders will only earn 2% back on in-store purchases – which is the method that the majority of shoppers use.
How to Redeem Rewards
The emphasis on online shopping and the card’s multiple redemption options gives the Walmart Card from Capital one a striking similarity to the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card. Both cards have no annual fee or a foreign transaction fee. If you were having difficulty choosing between the credits from these two retail giants, they certainly aren’t making it easy.
Like Amazon, Walmart.com offers next-day delivery – but one potential area where Walmart has Amazon beat is the availability of in-store pickup. Not only does it offer a workaround for the sub-par 2% back for in-store Walmart purchases; it also gives shoppers the option to retrieve their necessities within a few hours thanks to their hundreds of brick-and-mortar locations.
When it comes to points redemption, both merchants allow points to be used towards future purchases, a statement credit, gift cards, and travel at an individual point value of $0.01 (100 points = $1). Points never expire as long as your account is active.
Should You Apply for the Capital One® Walmart Rewards™ Card?
The few caveats of the card (the lack of a signup bonus) are minor compared to the potential the card has, allowing shoppers to finally earn rewards where they already shop on a regular basis. In-store purchases will only have the premier earning potential during the first 12 months of opening an account so cardholders will want to make Walmart their go-to store for grocery and household item purchases before the 5% earnings expire.
This card is great for those shopping for families, keeping an office stocked, or anyone else who makes frequent purchases – but lacks the volume to justify a membership to wholesale clubs like Costco or Sam’s Club.