Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on March 8th, 2021
Alaska Airlines Visa® Credit Card
40,000 Bonus Miles + Alaska’s Famous Companion Fare™
- Regular Purchase APR 15.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 15.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 18.99% to 28.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee $75
- Credit Needed Excellent , Good
- Processing Network Visa
- 3X miles per dollar spent on Alaska Airlines purchases
- 1X miles per dollar spent on all other purchases
- Annual Alaska’s Famous Companion Fare® on account anniversary
- Free checked bag on Alaska Airlines flights for up to six other guests on the same reservation
- Enjoy 50% off Alaska Lounge day passes
- 20% back on in-flight purchases
- No foreign transaction fee
- Regular Purchase APR: 15.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 15.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 18.99% to 28.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: Up to 29.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee: $75
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $29
At a Glance
The Alaska Airlines Visa® Credit Card offers plenty of introductory and ongoing perks starting with an impressive signup bonus 50,000 miles plus Alaska’s Famous Companion Fare™. Although mile earning potential is limited, cardholder benefits are substantial make this a must-have card for frequent Alaska Airline customers.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Travel on Alaska Airlines at least twice a year
- Want to save on Alaska Airline lounge access
- Want the annual Companion Fare™ pass (only eligible to cardholders)
- Will spend $2,000 within 90 days of opening the account
Alaska Airlines Visa® Credit Card Review
The Alaska Airlines Visa® is a great airline rewards card – and not just those who reside in the 49th state. With over 900 destinations worldwide, Alaska Airline Visa cardholders have an opportunity to boost their already impressive mile-earning capabilities towards one of the most lucrative U.S based airline rewards programs.
What immediately sets this card apart from other airline cards is the generous signup bonus that includes exclusive access to their companion fare pass as well as a number of cost-saving passenger benefits. Unfortunately, the Alaska Airlines Visa has limited earning potential and is really only useful for purchases directly with Alaska Airlines. While this carrier doesn’t need to be your primary airline – this card will offer little value to those who don’t travel with them at least once a year.
The Alaska Airlines credit card has an annual fee of $75, a cost that is easily recoverable for those who fly on Alaska Airlines even just a few times per year. There is no introductory APR, but the card boasts a generous signup bonus of 50,000 miles and the Companion Fare when you spend $2,000 within the first 90 days – quite a steal compared to Southwest Airline’s companion pass which requires either 110 trips or 110,000 points.
Cardholders can earn an unlimited 3X miles for every dollar spent on Alaska Airline purchases, and 1X miles for every dollar spent elsewhere. Miles never expire as long as your account is active and in good standing. While earning potential is limited to Alaska Airlines flight purchases, this card has even greater earning potential for their phenomenal rewards program.
In terms of airline perks, the Alaska Airline Visa performs well for a card with such a moderate annual fee. The first checked bag is free for you and up to six guests on the same reservation (normally $30 each, that’s up to $180 in savings on baggage fees). For those who enjoy the luxurious things in life, the Alaska Airlines Visa also offers 50% off day passes at any Alaska Lounge, another exclusive cardholder perk, which is a savings of $25 per lounge visit (regularly $50 each). In-flight, cardholders can enjoy a 20% rebate on inflight purchases including food, beverages, and Wi-Fi in the form of a statement credit.
Arguably the Alaska Airlines Visa® Credit Card’s most enticing feature is it’s Famous Companion Fare™ program grants discounted flights to take a fellow traveler along with you, for only $121, which you can continue to enjoy the Famous Companion Fare™ perk each account anniversary.
For more information on the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan loyalty program, check out:
Should You Apply for the Alaska Airlines Visa® Credit Card?
Overall, the Alaska Airlines Visa® airline rewards credit card has plenty of practical benefits that would provide long term value to cardholders. Those on the western side of the United States might have more opportunities to make use of the carrier’s affordable flights – but regardless of your location, anyone who flies on Alaska Airlines at least twice a year will be more than able to make it worth the $75 annual fee.
The limited earning potential doesn’t provide enough incentive to make the Alaska Airlines Visa® your main credit card, or even your designated travel card. Instead, use it to earn the $2,000 signup bonus and afterward, only pull it out of your pocket for direct Alaska Airline purchases.