People with no credit history find it tough to get credit because lenders aren’t sure how big of a risk extending credit to them will pose. One of the first scenarios in which people without a credit history face difficulty is applying for a credit card. After all, this is the entry point to the world of credit for many. When facing this figurative brick wall, some might turn to secured credit cards as a simple route towards good credit. For those who don’t have the money for a deposit, however, there are still plenty of quality unsecured cards for those with no credit history.
What Is “No Credit History?”
No credit history is not the same thing as bad credit. Bad credit means that your credit score is damaged, perhaps as low as in the 300s. No credit history, on the other hand, means you have no recent credit history. Having no credit score means you have not borrowed money in any form within the last seven years. Of course, you may also fall into that category if you never had a credit card or loan.
The Best Credit Cards for No Credit That Aren’t Secured Cards
Just because you have no credit history doesn’t mean you can’t get a good unsecured credit card – it just means your options will be smaller. One of the best offers available is the First Access Solid Black VISA® Credit Card. A full-fledged Visa credit card, the Solid Black Card isn’t just easy on the eyes. The card also features monthly reporting to all the major credit bureaus (Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion), so cardholders can build a good credit score with on-time payments.
- Reporting monthly to all three major credit reporting agencies
- All credit histories considered for this no security deposit credit card
- Perfect credit not required for approval; we may approve you when others won't
- Easy and secure online application
- Get the security and convenience of a full-featured, unsecured Visa® credit card - accepted at millions of merchant and ATM locations nationwide and online
- $300 credit limit (subject to available credit)
- Regular Purchase APR: See Terms
- Cash Advance APR: See Terms
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: See Terms
- Annual Fee: See Terms
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: See Terms
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: See Terms
- 20% off + Free Shipping on Fanatics.com orders of $49+ - Offer Expires on April 15, 2021 - See Details
- Stay 3, Pay 2 - Offer Expires on April 30, 2021 - See Details
- Stay 3, Pay 2 - Offer Expires on December 22, 2021 - See Details
- Save 10% on Select Regularly Priced Jewelry - Offer Expires on February 03, 2022 - See Details
- Save 10% and complimentary daily breakfast for two with Preferred Hotels - Offer Expires on March 31, 2022 - See Details
- Save $25 in the US with 1-800-GOT-JUNK? - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- Save 15%* off the Merchandise Value** of your purchase with promotion code VISA38 - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- Save 15%* off the Merchandise Value** of your purchase at Harry & David - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- Troon® Golf for Visa Infinite - Offer Expires on January 26, 2022 - See Details
- Sonoma Wine Tastings 2:1 Offer with a Visa Signature or Visa Infinite Card - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- View All Deals -
The Reflex Mastercard® from Celtic Bank is another excellent option for those new to credit. The card offers pre-qualification, so you can find out your approval odds before you apply. Once approved, cardholders gain access to an initial credit limit ranging from $300 to $750 that they can use anywhere in the world Mastercard is accepted. Even better, with a minimum of six on-time payments, they may receive an increase to their credit limit.
- See if you’re Pre-Qualified with no impact to your credit score
- Free access to your Vantage 3.0 score from TransUnion* (When you sign up for e-statements)
- Monthly reporting to the three major credit bureaus
- Use your card at locations everywhere Mastercard® is accepted
- Regular Purchase APR: See Terms*
- Cash Advance APR: See Terms*
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: See Terms*
- Annual Fee: See Terms*
- Foreign Transaction Fee: See Terms*
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: See Terms*
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: See Terms*
- Take a hike with an award-winning landscape photographer - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- Immerse yourself in the world of Italian food and wine - Offer Expires on January 24, 2031 - See Details
- Save as you shop at London Designer Outlet - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- Achieve home office harmony with a Feng Shui session - Offer Expires on January 24, 2031 - See Details
- Take a flawless makeup masterclass at Cosmetics à la Carte - Offer Expires on June 30, 2021 - See Details
- Learn to DJ like an expert - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- Shop like a celebrity with LookStyler - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- Upgrade your stay in Belfast and see the city in style - Offer Expires on March 31, 2021 - See Details
- Master gin and tonics with tips from two expert restaurateurs - Offer Expires on May 28, 2021 - See Details
- Get a taste of the pirate's life with Miami Children's Museum - Offer Expires on January 22, 2031 - See Details
- View All Deals -
What’s the Easiest Unsecured Credit Card to Get with No Credit History?
What if you are still struggling to find an unsecured card for no credit, however? While no credit card application has a guarantee of success, there are two offers that provide the best approval odds for those looking for a credit card. The card in question is the Group One Platinum Card.
These card options aren’t credit cards like your typical Visa or Mastercard. Instead, they offer an unsecured $750 line of credit towards purchases on the Horizon Outlet portal. The Horizon Outlet offers a huge number of products, gifts, goods, and more, so the card does offer excellent value. Plus, both cards report to the leading credit agencies, so paying on time will help you advance to another unsecured credit card in no time. It may also help you raise your credit score.
- $500 credit limit
- No employment or credit check to apply
- Reports activity to major credit bureau
- Fast and easy application
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: $20
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: $25
Who Can Benefit from an Entry-Level Credit Card?
Credit card offers for no credit history, like the ones above, are ideal not only for those who have never borrowed money in the past, but also for college students with little credit card experience. Student cards feature lower credit thresholds, but not all students will qualify. In these instances, students who don’t have the money for a secured card, or a co-signer, can get an entry-level or starter card, such as the Reflex or First Access, and build up their credit score.
Related Article: Looking for a Secured Credit Card? Here Are Top Picks to Consider