Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
- Get the savings plan that helps build credit today
- Start with a Credit Builder Account that reports monthly payments to all 3 major credit bureaus
- Sample product: A $539.00 Credit builder account, paid 12 times over one year would have a monthly payment of $48.00, and an Annual Percentage Rate of 15.97%. Please refer to www.self.inc/pricing for the most recent pricing options
- Regular Purchase APR: 23.99%
- Annual Fee: $25
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $15
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $15
- 20% off + Free Shipping on Fanatics.com orders of $49+ - Offer Expires on April 15, 2021 - See Details
- Stay 3, Pay 2 - Offer Expires on April 30, 2021 - See Details
- Stay 3, Pay 2 - Offer Expires on December 22, 2021 - See Details
- Save 10% on Select Regularly Priced Jewelry - Offer Expires on February 03, 2022 - See Details
- Save 10% and complimentary daily breakfast for two with Preferred Hotels - Offer Expires on March 31, 2022 - See Details
- Every 4th Night Free + Premium Benefits in Brooklyn - Offer Expires on February 28, 2021 - See Details
- Every 4th Night Free + Premium Benefits in New York - Offer Expires on February 28, 2021 - See Details
- Every 4th Night Free + Premium Benefits in West Hollywood - Offer Expires on February 28, 2021 - See Details
- Save $25 in the US with 1-800-GOT-JUNK? - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- Save 15%* off the Merchandise Value** of your purchase with promotion code VISA38 - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- View All Deals -
At a Glance
The Self Visa® Credit Card is a secured credit card that pairs with an existing Self Credit Builder Account. The card has no formal approval process. Instead, hopeful consumers simply need to open a Self account and save over $100 to fund the secured Visa account.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Are serious about raising their credit score
- Already have a Self Credit Builder Account
- Don’t mind the $25 annual fee
- Plan to pay their card balance in full every month
Self Visa® Credit Card Review
The Self Visa® Credit Card is a secured credit card from leading fintech, Self. While the card isn’t available for direct applications, opening a Self Credit Builder Account and making on-time payments will guarantee you the credit building secured card – and the purchasing power of the visa network.
How to Get a Self Visa® Credit Card
The Self Visa® Credit Card approval process is a little different than other secured credit card accounts. Because Self is a credit builder startup, the process involves a potential applicant getting their hands dirty with the company and growing their credit portfolio.
This process begins with opening a Self Credit Builder Account. Self’s Credit Builder Account is a unique loan product where individuals with no credit history or poor credit open a loan account to “pay off” the loan into a certificate of deposit (CD) account.
Once the account holder makes three monthly payments on time – and has more than $100 in their CD account, they can select to open a Self Visa® Credit Card account. They can choose their initial deposit level (at least $100) and order their secured card.
There are no credit checks, meaning there is no impact on a person’s credit score to open the account. Because there are no credit checks and no formal application process, no one can be denied the Self Visa Secured Card. Opening the account, however, does require a $25 annual fee.
Build Good Credit with On-Time Payments
Building credit is difficult without the correct tools. Fortunately, the Self Secured Visa makes the practice much easier.
The Self Visa reports to the major credit bureaus every month. This regular reporting to Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion allow users to quickly raise their credit score through a series of on-time payments.
Payment history accounts for 35% of a FICO Score. Because this one critical factor accounts for over a third of a person’s FICO Score (the scoring model used by 90% of all lenders), paying on-time can help raise a credit score significantly within six months to a year. According to Self, responsibly using the Secured Visa touches upon over 75% of the major factors that impact a person’s FICO score.
Chance at Credit Limit Increases Over Time
Because the card is linked to a Self Credit Builder Account, cardholders can increase their secured card credit limit as they continue to build their FICO Score with on-time payments. As their Credit Builder Account grows, that money can be moved towards the credit line with the Self Visa® Credit Card.
One of the biggest downsides of the Self Secured Visa is the less-than-stellar APR on purchases. That rate is approximately five-percentage points higher than the national average of 18%.
Fortunately, avoiding interest is as easy as paying the balance in full every month. But, if you plan to carry a balance, expect a larger than normal interest charge. This charge won’t be excessive, just more than the average consumer would expect.
Visa Protections and Benefits
The Self Visa also provides holders with the basic benefits and protections from a Visa credit card. These features include Roadside Dispatch, Visa’s Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Zero Fraud Liability coverage, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Self Credit Builder and Self Visa
Because the Self Visa is a unique way to establish a good credit history, there are many questions that often arise from interested consumers. Here are some of the most commonly asked questions about Self, as well the answers:
Since the Self Visa is a secured credit card, you set the credit limit. Opening a Self Secured Visa account requires a Self Credit Builder account. Once that account has a minimum of $100, you can open a Self Credit Card account.
No. Self does not permit Self Secured Cardholders to use their card for cash advances.
The Self Card features an annual fee of $25, which is very reasonable when compared with other secured credit cards for building credit.
Self Visa Credit Cardholders can contact Self through their website, via the company’s live chat, or by calling 1-877-883-0999.
Yes! For those ready to rebuild their credit – or establish a strong credit history for the first time – the Self Credit Builder account and Self Secured visa are excellent tools for learning sound financial habits.
Should You Apply for the Self Visa® Credit Card?
The Self Credit Builder Account and associated Secured Visa® Credit Card are an excellent combination for quickly building a positive credit history. Because the two accounts work together seamlessly, meeting the minimum requirements and paying on-time doubles the impact on your credit score.
While the Self Visa isn’t a spectacular credit card (the APR is below average, and the $25 annual fee isn’t great), it comes with no hard inquiries on your credit report and no fears of rejection. Because of this, it is one of the best options available for credit repair.