Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on October 31st, 2022
Extra Debit Card
Extra Debit Card
Earn Rewards With 0% Interest
- Every purchase can help build your credit. At the end of every month, purchases made with the Extra Debit Card are tallied up and reported to credit bureaus
- 0% interest
- Connects with your bank account
- Earn rewards points everywhere. Earn up to 1% in points for everyday purchases like rideshares, coffees and your phone bills
- Plans start at $7/month (based on annual subscription)
- Annual Fee: See Terms
- Foreign Transaction Fee: See Terms
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: See Terms
- Minimum Deposit Required: See Terms
Browse these credit card deals and thousands of other offers by becoming a Bestcards Member.Join today!
At a Glance
Ideal for Those Who:
- Don’t want a credit check
- Want a debit card that reports to Experian and Equifax every month
Extra Debit Card Review
Building credit with no credit check is made a breeze thanks to the Extra Debit Card. The card, from Extra and Evolve Bank & Trust (Member FDIC), helps build credit with regular payments while also providing up to 1% back in points on everyday purchases** like rideshares, coffee, or even cell phone bills.
Details About the Extra Debit Card
Debit cards with additional functions are a fast-growing segment in the payment card industry, with Extra one of the more popular examples of the breed. Signing up for the Extra program couldn’t be easier:
- First, sign up by connecting your bank account to Extra
- Extra will assign you something called “Spending Power,” which related to your bank balance
- Your spending power is equal to your credit limit
- Make purchases with the Extra Card like you would with any debit card, and Extra will “spot you” the cost
- Extra automatically repays itself via your connected bank account
- Every month Extra reports user spending to the major credit bureaus (Experian and Equifax), helping you build credit over time
Extra automatically repays itself daily, so the total utilization rate resets every 24 hours. Thanks to this unique feature, you never have to worry about having to stay below a particular utilization threshold.
No Credit Check Required
Because the Extra Card is a debit card product, there is no credit check to apply for the card. Credit cards require a credit check (or hard inquiry) when applying because lenders are taking a financial risk on the applicant – even with secured credit cards.
On the other hand, debit cards are tied to assets in the applicant’s checking account, meaning that there is no risk to the bank – users simply spend their own money. In this regard, debit cards offer greater accessibility than credit cards – along with the reduced risk of falling into credit card debt which can negatively affect your credit score.
Because Extra pays itself back every day, the card features no interest charges – a great feature. In this regard, the card acts like a charge card, with the caveat that Extra takes care of repayments – saving you time and money.
Earn Rewards on Purchases
Enrolling in rewards with Extra comes with an additional fee but provides quality rewards points on eligible purchases. Extra cardholders can earn 1% back for every dollar spent on purchases. Extra may also feature special promotions where cardholders can earn bonus points – increasing the chances of scoring the best awards in the store.
Rewards points have an approximate value of up to $0.01 (one cent per point) depending on the redemption option. Redemption options (through the Extra Rewards Store) include Apple products, gift cards, and other top-quality consumer products and goods.
Extra Program Cost
Most debit programs feature no monthly fees or annual fees. This is because they operate through your local bank and offer the usual services people have grown accustomed to. Extra differs because it provides the additional service of helping you build your credit and works with your bank account (Extra works with over 10,000 banks through Plaid).
The Extra program costs either $149 a year for Credit Building or $199 a year for Credit Building + Rewards.
Other Card Features
Other notable features of the Extra Card include:
- Mastercard Zero Fraud Liability protection
- Mastercard Global Service customer support
- ID Theft Protection
- Mastercard Airport Concierge access (additional charges may apply)
Also worth noting is that the Extra Debit Card currently cannot be used to make purchases made outside of the United States.
Extra Debit Card FAQs
Here are some commonly asked questions about Extra, the Extra Debit Card, and the answers:
- Signing up for Extra requires the following information:
- 18 years of age, or older
- You must have an SSN or ITIN number
- A US address where you can receive your Extra Card (P.O. boxes are not valid)
- A U.S.-based bank account
- Extra uses Plaid, which provides fully-encrypted, safe access to over 10,000 banks in the U.S. and Canada.
- Spend Power is the amount you can spend on your Extra Card at any time. It’s based on your current balance and how long you’ve been a member.
- Think of Extra as an added layer of security; they handle disputes and fraud cases internally, so no need to get your bank involved.
Extra Debit Card Ratings
How does the Extra Debit Card Card stack up? Here are a selection of expert reviews for the card and Evolve Bank & Trust- the card’s issuer:
What is the Extra Card like to live with? Before deciding if the card is right for you, here’s what our readers and members think about the card and company:
Should You Consider the Extra Debit Card?
Debit card options are continuing to evolve, with better products hitting the market seemingly every month. The Extra Debit Card is one such dynamic product.
The card offers the spending capabilities of a debit card with some of the advantages of a credit card – all with no credit check required. Add to that basic rewards and you have a versatile card that won’t break the bank. The Extra program is available in all 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia.
Browse Other Card Offers:
*Extra is a technology company. The Extra Debit Card is issued by Evolve Bank & Trust, Member FDIC, pursuant to a license from Mastercard USA. Extra reports on time and late payments, which may negatively impact your credit score. Credit scores are independently determined by credit bureaus based on a number of factors, including your other financial transactions. Extra reports to Experian® and Equifax®. Please refer to extra.app/policies for additional details.
**With Extra’s Annual Credit Building + Rewards Plan