Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on August 4th, 2021
Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card
Earn 75,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs)
- Earn 75,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets
- With Status Boost, earn 10,000 MQMs after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion Status
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Regular Purchase APR: 15.74% to 24.74% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR: 25.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee: $250
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
At a Glance
If Delta is your airline of choice when planning trips for work or leisure, then you’ll enjoy the benefits available to you through the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Often book flights on Delta airlines and want to maximize your miles earning
- Want 50,000 bonus miles for making $3,000 in purchases in the first three months
- Enjoy convenient travel benefits like priority boarding and in-flight discounts on food and drink
- Want discount lounge access
Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card Review
When you regularly travel, whether it’s for business or pleasure, wishing to have an airline rewards business card that maximizes miles earned makes all the sense in the world. And that includes getting as many bonus miles as possible. The Platinum Delta SkyMiles card from American Express makes it a way for travelers to amass a considerable number of miles, which are applicable towards flights, hotels, seat upgrades, and much more.
Introductory SkyMiles Offer
The Platinum Delta SkyMiles card from American Express comes with a very enticing welcome offer. New accounts can earn 75,000 bonus SkyMiles after making just $3,000 in purchases on their new card in the first three months of account opening. Even better, cardholders can also earn an extra 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) once they hit that $3,000 spend requirement.
The 10,000 bonus MQMs is enough to reach halfway to Silver Medallion status in the Delta Air Line SkyMiles Program. This bonus is therefore an excellent way to supercharge the journey to frequent flyer elite status – all for a modest $1,000 per month initial spend.
How to Earn & Redeem SkyMiles
Platinum Delta SkyMiles cardholders earn 3X SkyMiles on purchases made directly with Delta. This is a significant improvement over older versions of the card, which only received 2X in the same category. Holders also earn 3X miles on vacation bookings through Delta Vacations.
The Platinum SkyMiles Card also gets double miles (2X miles for every $1 spent) on purchases at U.S. supermarkets and at restaurants worldwide. The latter also includes takeout and delivery. This enhanced rate is double what the previous version offered, making the Platinum Card a quality option for those who like to dine out (or eat in). Every other purchase with the card earns a single mile per dollar spent.
There is no cap or limit on the number of miles a person can receive. Miles are redeemable not only on Delta but also on 30 additional airline partners via SkyTeam.
Beyond the ability to quickly rack up SkyMiles, cardholders can also take advantage of an impressive array of members-only benefits. These benefits include a complimentary domestic main cabin round-trip certificate. This reward is available upon renewal of the card each year. Members also get their first checked bag free when flying with Delta.
The Platinum Delta SkyMiles benefits also include main cabin priority boarding on all flights with either Delta or one of its 30 partner airlines, access to the Delta Sky Club for the cardholder and up to two guests at an exclusive rate of $39. Holders also get 20% in in-flight savings in the form of a statement credit, and baggage insurance protection. This last benefit provides coverage for lost, stolen, or damaged checked items.
There is also a statement credit for dining. Cardholders can earn up to a total of $165 in dining statement credits in portions of $15 per month (see terms).
For more information on the Delta SkyMiles loyalty program, check out:
Should You Apply for the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card?
The Platinum Delta SkyMiles card features a hefty $250 annual fee. Still, its impressive bonus miles and traveler protections make it a solid choice for the frequent flier. Those considering the Platinum Delta SkyMiles card should always weigh the benefits the card provides, with its limitations, however. While accepted at over 1.6 million places in the U.S., the acceptance of American Express abroad, as compared to Visa or Mastercard, is limited.
Overall, the Platinum SkyMiles is a robust, high-quality card for those who plan to make use of it every day. SkyMiles are a valuable commodity, and the Platinum SkyMiles Card earns them in droves. The card offers significantly more value for money than the Delta SkyMiles Gold American Express Card.