Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card
Earn up to 40,000 Bonus Miles
- Regular Purchase APR 15.74% to 24.74% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 15.74% to 24.74% variable on balance transfers requested within 60 days of account opening
- Cash Advance APR 25.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee $250
- Credit Needed Excellent , Good
- Processing Network American Express
- Earn 40,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion Qualification Miles after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months
- Earn a $100 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months
- With Status Boost, earn 10,000 MQMs after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion Status
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSAPreCheck
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight
- Receive a 20% savings in the form of a statement credit after you use your Card on eligible Delta in-flight purchases of food, beverages, and audio headsets
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Regular Purchase APR: 15.74% to 24.74% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 15.74% to 24.74% variable on balance transfers requested within 60 days of account opening
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 of 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 25.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: 29.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee: $250
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
At a Glance
If Delta is your airline of choice when planning trips for work or leisure, then you’ll enjoy the benefits available to you through the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Often book flights on Delta airlines and want to maximize your miles earning
- Want 70,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles for making just $2,000 in purchases in the first three months
- Enjoy convenient travel benefits like priority boarding and in-flight discounts on food and drink
- Want discount lounge access
Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card Review
When you regularly travel, whether it’s for business or pleasure, wishing to have an airline rewards business card that maximizes miles earned makes all the sense in the world. And that includes getting as many bonus miles as possible. The Platinum Delta SkyMiles card from American Express makes it a way for travelers to amass a considerable number of miles, which are applicable towards flights, hotels, seat upgrades, and much more.
An Impressive Signup Bonus
Members can earn 70,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after spending $2,000 in purchases in the first three months, as well as a $100 statement credit after making a Delta purchase (also within the first three months.
Thanks to the Annual Status Boost™ feature, there’s the potential to earn an additional 10,000 MQMs after making $25,000 in purchases within a calendar year and – on top of that – another 10,000 bonus miles and 10,000 MQMs after making $50,000 in purchases in a calendar year.
How to Earn & Redeem SkyMiles
Platinum Delta SkyMiles cardholders earn 3X SkyMiles on purchases made directly with Delta. This is a significant improvement over older versions of the card, which only received 2X in the same category. Holders also earn 3X miles on vacation bookings through Delta Vacations.
The Platinum SkyMiles Card also gets double miles (2X miles for every $1 spent) on purchases at U.S. supermarkets and at restaurants. This enhanced rate is double what the previous version offered, making the Platinum Card a quality option for those who like to dine out (or eat in). Every other purchase with the card earns a single mile per dollar spent.
There is no cap or limit on the number of miles a person can receive. Miles are redeemable not only on Delta but also on 30 additional airline partners via SkyTeam.
Beyond the ability to quickly rack up SkyMiles, cardholders can also take advantage of an impressive array of members-only benefits. These benefits include a complimentary domestic main cabin round-trip certificate. This reward is available upon renewal of the card each year. Members also get their first checked bag free when flying with Delta.
The Platinum Delta SkyMiles benefits also include main cabin priority boarding on all flights with either Delta or one of its 30 partner airlines, access to the Delta Sky Club for the cardholder and up to two guests at an exclusive rate of $39. Holders also get 20% in in-flight savings in the form of a statement credit, and baggage insurance protection. This last benefit provides coverage for lost, stolen, or damaged checked items.
Should You Apply for the Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card?
The Platinum Delta SkyMiles card features a hefty $250 annual fee and an APR on par with other similar airline rewards cards. Still, its impressive bonus miles and traveler protections make it a solid choice for the frequent flier. Those considering the Platinum Delta SkyMiles card should always weigh the benefits the card provides, with its limitations, however. While accepted at over 1.6 million places in the U.S., the acceptance of American Express abroad, as compared to Visa or Mastercard, is limited.
Overall, the Platinum SkyMiles is a robust, high-quality card for those who plan to make use of it every day. SkyMiles are a valuable commodity, and the Platinum SkyMiles Card earns them in droves. The card offers significantly more value for money than the Delta SkyMiles Gold American Express Card.
Keep in mind, however, that the Platinum SkyMiles Card isn’t the same as the Platinum American Express Card. The Delta SkyMiles Platinum American Express card is a credit card, while the Platinum card is an Amex charge card.