| Last updated on February 5th, 2024
In-Depth Review: My Buick Rewards Card
0% Intro APR on Purchases
New My Buick Rewards Cardholders can earn a 15,000-points welcome bonus when they use their new card to make at least $1,000 in purchases on the card within 90 days of account opening. Judging value with auto rewards credit cards can be difficult, given the costly award option many consumers select (a new car). Still, 10,000 points provide roughly the equivalent of 10% cash back, so it offers some solid value.
How to Earn Rewards
The My Buick Rewards Mastercard offers up to 7X total points on Buick purchases, including service, parts, and accessories purchased at participating Buick dealerships and service centers. That 7X points tally is impressive and provides excellent value if you are planning on getting a new Buick vehicle – be it a purchase or lease.
The Buick credit card also earns 4X points for every dollar spent on eligible purchases outside of Buick. That earning rate is exceptional – but only if you plan to use the card and spend towards the ultimate prize – a new Buick vehicle. There’s no limit to how much you can earn and redeem in rewards, so it allows you build a sizable pot of points that you can later exchange for something special.
Automatic Gold Tier Status
Perhaps the biggest perk of the My Buick Rewards Mastercard is that it grants you automatic Gold Tier status in the GM loyalty program. The gold tier is the middle tier of the My Buick Rewards program and offers a quality selection of benefits:
|How to Unlock a New Tier
|3-year total spend on a new, eligible GM vehicle
|$0 to $44,999
|$45,000 to $109,999
|Combined spend on paid, eligible GM service, eligible accessories or parts, and OnStar and Connected Service Plans
|$0 to $1,499
|$1,500 to $2,499
|Yearly spend on My GM Rewards Mastercard
|Automatic Gold Tier
|Account is Closed; 5 Years of Inactivity
How to Redeem Points in the My GM Rewards Program
Redeeming points with My Buick Rewards is straightforward. Cardholders can redeem unlimited points toward an eligible new Buick vehicle purchase or lease. They can also select a pre-owned Buick vehicle, with the ability to redeem up to $1,000 toward purchasing a Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, or Cadillac Certified Pre-Owned vehicle.
Other redemption options include points towards paid GM Certified Service, GM Genuine Parts and ACDelco Parts, eligible accessories, OnStar and Connected Services plans, GM Financial and Protection Plans, and SiriusXM® subscriptions. Gold and Platinum rewards members can also redeem points towards gift cards from various eligible merchants, stores, restaurants, and more at a 1% redemption rate.
Estimated Points Breakdown
Below is a breakdown of the estimated costs of a new 2023 Buick Encore GX MPV at the $27,195 manufacturer’s recommended price (MSRP). This breakdown shows how much you can expect to earn when using your My Buick Rewards Card to purchase the car:
- $27,195 new vehicle MSRP (1X points per $5 of the MSRP) = 5,439 points via My Buick Rewards loyalty program, a $54.39 cash value
- $450 on auto insurance (4X points) using the card = 1,800 points, an $18 cash value
- $500 on vehicle maintenance (7X points) using the card = 3,500 points, a $35 cash value
- $1,235 in taxes and fees (4X points) = 4,940 points, a $49.40 cash value
- Buick Protection Plan = 2,500 points, a $25 cash value
- $300 OnStar Essentials plan (4X points) = 1,200 points, a $12 cash value
- Total: 22,079 points, a $220.79 cash value
Other Card Features
The My Buick Rewards Card also brings along Mastercard World Elite benefits. Mastercard World Elite® is the premier Mastercard product tier, offering the pinnacle of protections and perks, including:
|Zero Liability Protection
|Cell Phone Protection
|Mastercard Global Services
|ID Theft Protection
|Mastercard Travel Services
|Mastercard Hotel Stay Guarantee
|Hello Fresh Savings
Other notable features of the card include no annual fee and no foreign transaction fees – both excellent benefits.
Auto Rewards Card Comparisons
Not sure if the My Buick Rewards Card is right for you? Here’s how it compares to two competitors:
My Buick Rewards Card™
Toyota Rewards Visa®
|Earn up to 7X points on GM purchases, including service, parts, and accessories at participating dealerships, and 4X points on eligible purchases outside of GM
|Earn 5% back on FCA US purchases, 2% back on gas and travel purchases, and 1% back on all other purchases
|Earn 3X points at Toyota dealerships, 2X on gas, dining, and entertainment, and 1X on all other purchases
|15,000 points and 0% intro APR offer
|$100 back after spending $1,000 in first 90 days
FAQs About GM and Goldman Sachs
- Goldman Sachs purchased the GM credit card portfolio from Capital One in a deal worth over $2 billion.
- No. There is no limit on the total number of rewards a My GM Rewards member can redeem.
- No. GM points never expire as long as the credit cardholder’s account is open and active. Non-GM credit cardholders’ points may expire, depending on their loyalty status.
- Managing your My GM Rewards account is easy. You can manage your GM Financial Account through the GM Financial App or online by going to www.gmfinancial.com and signing into My Account. From there, you can make a payment, access billing statements, update your profile and communication preferences, and even message with Customer Experience agents.
- Marcus by Goldman Sachs can pull from any of the three major credit bureaus (Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion), but most datapoints point to TransUnion being the most commonly used company.
Should You Apply for the My Buick Rewards World Elite Mastercard?
While the 7X total points per dollar can turn heads, is the My Buick Rewards Card worth the hype? The answer may be a strong yes if you are a loyal Buick customer. Buick (and other GM brand) customers can benefit from the card’s high rewards-earning rate and GM-focused redemption options.
Browse Other Card Offers:
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards.com's reviews, articles, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author(s). These opinions do not reflect those of any card issuer or financial institution, and editorial content on our site has not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless noted otherwise. Further, BestCards.com lists credit card offers that are frequently updated with information believed to be accurate to the best of our team's knowledge. However, please review the information provided directly by the credit card issuer or related financial institution for full details.