Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on March 25th, 2021
Earn 5% on First $5,000 Spent and Unlimited 2% Thereafter
- Regular Purchase APR 15.24%, 18.24%, or 24.24% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 15.24%, 18.24%, or 24.24% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 24.9% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
- Credit Needed Excellent
- Intro Purchase APR 0% for 12 months from account opening date
- Processing Network Mastercard
- Earn 5% on the first $5,000 spent every year, then 2% unlimited earnings on purchases thereafter
- Up to $250 in statement credits for in-dealership purchases
- Unlimited earning and redeeming
- Earnings never expire
- Combine BuyPower® Card earnings with existing vehicle offers
- Intro Purchase APR: 0% for 12 months from account opening date
- Regular Purchase APR: 15.24%, 18.24%, or 24.24% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 15.24%, 18.24%, or 24.24% variable based on creditworthiness and Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR: 24.9% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: 31.15% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $38
- Take a hike with an award-winning landscape photographer – Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 – See Details
- Immerse yourself in the world of Italian food and wine – Offer Expires on January 24, 2031 – See Details
- Exclusive tableware and home d?cor items from porcelain – Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 – See Details
- Go on a guided truffle-hunting expedition in the Motovun Forest – Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 – See Details
- Embark on a journey through the city of the Iron Throne – Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 – See Details
- Discover Agra beyond the Taj Mahal on a virtual tour – Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 – See Details
- Play the Hidden Network of Private Courses – Offer Expires on December 31, 2022 – See Details
- Marvel at a celebrity stylist’s star-studded fashion collection – Offer Expires on June 01, 2021 – See Details
- Embark on a virtual trip to the Banaras’ ghats, Sarnath, and more – Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 – See Details
- Get a glimpse into India’s history through the Gujarati thali – Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 – See Details
- View All Deals –
Please Note: This review is in the process of being updated by the BestCards team
At a Glance
Saving up for a new vehicle can be sped up significantly when you use the BuyPower® Card from Capital One. Every year, you’ll earn 5%back on your first $5,000 in purchases, and then an unlimited 2% on all purchases afterward to use towards the lease or purchase of a new General Motors vehicle.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Are planning on purchasing a Chevrolet, Buick, GMC or Cadillac for your next vehicle
- Will spend at least $5,000 on this card per year
- Do not want to pay annual fees, transfer fees, or foreign transaction fees
BuyPower® Card Review
The BuyPower® Card is particularly strong auto rewards card if you’re a prospective new owner of a Chevrolet, Buick, GMC or Cadillac, as every purchase will earn either 5 or 2% back to put towards a new vehicle. But it isn’t just new car buyers who get to have all the fun. Current GM drivers will still find themselves nicely rewarded with an annual $250 in statement credit for in-dealership purchases just for being a cardholder. The statement credit includes the purchase of a vehicle as well as accessories, parts, service, and even subscription extras.
While the card does not offer bonus categories, it features a competitive earning rate that makes it a viable addition for your regular credit card lineup. You may not want to set aside your cash back rewards cards for this one, but it is a handy card to have on hand for the purchases that popular rewards categories tend to miss, such as utilities or superstore purchases (i.e. Target, Walmart).
Other outstanding features of the BuyPower® Card include no annual fees or foreign transaction fees, and World Elite Mastercard® Benefits that include a $1 million travel accident insurance policy. This GM consumer card is issued by Capital One and as such, requires applicants to have Excellent credit scores.
Earning GM BuyPower Rewards
Sadly, there is no signup bonus or introductory offer to kickstart new cardholders’ GM earnings but the strength of the card’s regular earning structure is rewarding enough to offset that slight drawback. Plus, without bonus categories to pigeonhole your card’s functionality, this card has the flexibility to cover all those in-between purchases your other rewards cards don’t cover.
Earn 5% back on all purchases up to the first $5,000 and 2% on all purchases, paving the way for some serious GM savings. Maxing out the 5% earnings would net $1,350 per year, and then the 2% back (comparable to some of the best flat rate cash back credit cards out there) would result in a return that’s none too shabby.
One of the greatest strengths of this card compared to other auto cards is that the BuyPower card isn’t reliant on trips to the dealership. No need to stop seeing your family’s trusted mechanic just to score a purchase bonus. GM cardholders will have a lot more freedom to maximize their earnings in a way that matches their existing buying habits.
When this strong earning potential is paired with the fact that GM BuyPower earnings never expire, this all adds up to the BuyPower card being powerful tool for earning thousands of dollars towards the down payment for a new vehicle just through everyday purchases. These earning can also be combined with current offerings or even employee discounts.
Should You Apply for the BuyPower Card?
If you’re a loyal Chevrolet, Buick, GMC or Cadillac driver, you can’t go wrong with owning the GM BuyPower® Card. Whether you anticipate buying a new vehicle in the next year or next 10 years, this card has a strong setup that will provide a consistent and strong value year after year.
BuyPower card earnings can only be used towards obtaining a new GM vehicle – but since they don’t expire, you have the luxury of waiting until you’ve accumulated enough to cover the total purchase price, or you can simply use what you have towards a down payment.