Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on November 9th, 2021
Capital One Venture X Card
Earn 100,000 Bonus Miles
- Regular Purchase APR 16.99%, 20.99% or 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 16.99%, 20.99% or 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 23.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee $395
- Credit Needed Excellent , Good
- Processing Network Visa
- No foreign transaction fees
- Receive up to $300 in statement credits when booking through Capital One Travel
- Earn unlimited 10X miles on hotels and rental cars booked through Capital One Travel
- Earn 5X miles on flights booked through Capital One Travel
- Earn unlimited 2X miles on all other purchases
- Get 10,000 bonus miles (equal to $100 towards travel) every year, starting on your first anniversary
- Priority Pass Select
- Regular Purchase APR: 16.99%, 20.99% or 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 16.99%, 20.99% or 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: 3% of the amount of each transferred balance that posts to your account at a promotional APR that we may offer you. None for balances transferred at the Transfer APR.
- Cash Advance APR: 23.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is greater
- Annual Fee: $395
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
At a Glance
The Capital One Venture X Rewards Card provides huge travel perks, impressive miles on every purchase, and more – for a $395 annual fee. New accounts also enjoy 100,000 miles after making $10,000 in purchases in the first six months.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Travel often, and want a card that provides lounge access, elite status, and more
- Plan on issuing cards to multiple authorized users
- Plan on spending at least $10,000 on the card in the first six months
- Don’t want to pay foreign transaction fees
Capital One Venture X Visa Infinite Credit Card Review
The Capital One Venture X is an exciting, ultra-premium travel credit card from Capital One. The card, a Visa Infinite credit card, is the bank’s most ambitious credit card, featuring up to 10X miles on select travel bookings, up to $300 in annual travel credits, lounge access, and more – for a $395 annual fee.
Earn Up to 10X Miles on Capital One Travel Bookings
As an ultra-premium travel credit card, the Venture X has tough competition. Capital One, however, isn’t backing down, pricing the card below rivals like the Chase Sapphire Reserve while offering equally impressive rewards.
The Venture X Visa Infinite earns up to 10X Venture miles on eligible purchases. The miles breakdown with the card is as follows:
- 10X miles on hotels and rental cars booked via Capital One Travel
- 5X miles on flights booked via Capital One Travel
- 2X miles on all other purchases
While the emphasis on Capital One Travel bookings is frustrating, the bank’s travel portal utilizes the Hopper platform, making it easy to secure the best price on travel bookings. Prioritizing bookings made through Capital One’s proprietary booking platform isn’t something unique to the Venture X either. Both Chase and Amex offer their best earning potential through proprietary booking services – so the Venture X’s rewards strategy isn’t out of the ordinary.
Perhaps the most impressive earning rate with the Venture X is the 2X miles on all other purchases. Double miles on base purchases are an excellent rate – on par with the $95 annual fee Capital One Venture.
Impressive 100,000 Miles Sign-Up Bonus
The Venture X is impressive enough, but the card’s introducer bonus offer takes things to a new level. New accountholders earn 100,000 miles after meeting minimum spend requirements. Those spend requirements, $10,000 on purchases within the first six months, are steep – but provide an excellent goal for the type of frequent traveler that would benefit most from the card.
Capital One Rewards have a value of one cent per mile/point, giving this introductory mile bonus an approximate cash value of $1,000 (or 10% cash back). Other experts value Capital One miles higher (as high as 1.7 cents/pt.), so the actual value of the welcome offer may provide even greater value. This bonus offer is on par with cards with significantly higher annual fees, with the Platinum Card from American Express the most notable competitor.
10,000 Mile Anniversary Bonus
Cardholders also enjoy a 10,000-mile bonus for every account anniversary. This bonus is a $100 value just for keeping the Venture X open.
How to Redeem Venture Miles
As mentioned, Capital One Venture miles have a value of approximately 1.4 cents per point (using the flat rate 1 cent for cash back and the much higher 1.7 cent value for transferring to select airlines, like Air Canada’s Aeroplan). Therefore, this median valuation is based upon the typical redemption options through the rewards program, which is travel. Travel options include flights, hotels, cruises, and rental cars booked through the Capital one Rewards portal.
Rewards also transfer to a variety of Capital One airline and hotel partners. Current Capital One airline and hotel transfer partners are:
Air France/ KLM
TAP Air Portugal
Cardholders can also use their points towards various award options, including cash back, statement credits, gift cards, or shopping (including using points with Amazon).
Venture X Rewards Cardholders can also opt to use points through PayPal and its Pay with Rewards program. Pay with Rewards is PayPal’s flexible rewards platform that allows select credit cardholders to use their rewards points to make purchases anywhere in the world that PayPal is accepted. The program allows cardholders the ability to pay for purchases entirely with their points or partially with their rewards.
Capital One Venture X, Chase Sapphire Reserve, and Platinum Card from American Express Head-to-Head:
Sapphire ReserveVisa Infinite
3X points on groceries & global dining
3X points on travel
$300 travel credit
50% more points value through Ultimate Rewards
Priority Pass Select
The Platinum CardAmerican Express
5X points on flights booked directly with airlines
5X points on prepaid hotels through Amex
$200 airline and Uber credits
Gold status in Marriott and Hilton loyalty programs
American Express Global Lounge Collection
Capital One Venture XVisa Infinite
10X miles on hotels & rental cars booked through Capital One Travel
3X miles on flights through Capital One Travel
2X on all other purchases
Priority Pass Select and Capital One Lounge access
$300 travel credits each year
Hertz President’s Circle status
A Dizzying Assortment of Travel Perks
Any luxury travel card worth its salt needs to provide a level of comfort not found with cards with lower price points. Here, the Venture X shines. Luxurious travel perks start with airport lounge access.
Airport Lounge Access
Airport lounge access with the Capital One Venture X includes both Priority Pass Select and access to the Capital One Lounges. Priority Pass Select offers the cardholders (and up to two guests) complimentary access to over 1,300 airport lounges and restaurants worldwide. Cardholders also enjoy unlimited access to Capital One Lounges, which currently includes three locations:
- Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, Terminal D by Gate 22
- Dulles International Airport, Main Terminal
- Denver International Airport, Concourse A on the Mezzanine Level
Even more impressive, Capital One is offering lounge access to authorized users. This feature means that gifting an additional card (the first four are free of charge) and guests can also access Capital One Lounges and the vast Priority Pass Network.
The Capital One Venture X also comes with several travel statement credits. These credits include:
- Up to a $300 credit annually credit for bookings made on Capital One Travel
- Up to $100 in statement credits for either TSA PreCheck or Global Entry application fees every four years
- Limited time $200 in statement credits for vacation rental purchases like Airbnb and VRBO
Other Travel Features
Other notable travel perks with the Venture X include:
- Complimentary Hertz President’s Circle status for primary cardholders authorized users and account managers
- Rental car protection for the primary account holder
- Trip delay and cancellation/interruption reimbursement
- Lost luggage reimbursement
- No foreign transaction fees
Other Card Features
Other features with the card include the impressive collection of Visa Infinite protections and benefits, including:
- Infinite Concierge
- Visa Infinite Luxury Hotel Collection access
- Up to $500,000 in accidental death or dismemberment coverage for travel booked with the Venture X
- Roadside Dispatch
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver
- Cardholder Inquiry Services
- Zero Fraud Liability
Cardholders also enjoy access to Capital One Experiences, offering exclusive access to entertainment, sports, and dining events.
Should You Apply for the Capital One Venture X Card?
The Capital one Venture X Visa Infinite is an exciting offer in an extremely competitive marketplace. The card’s earning potential with the Capital One Travel portal is impressive – but not as impressive as the huge array of travel protections and benefits the card provides for a comparatively modest $395 annual fee.
The card offers lounge access, various travel protections, and TSA PreCheck credits for an annual fee $55 lower than the Chase Sapphire Reserve. The Sapphire also charges $50 per year for each authorized user, whereas the Venture X offers up to four free additional cards at no extra cost. The Venture X’s welcome bonus is equally competitive with the Reserve (although Chase does not provide an anniversary bonus to cardholders, while Capital One does – 10,000 miles).