Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
- $10 Belk Reward for every 1,000 points
- 20 Exclusive savings events each year
- Receipt free returns
- Bonus rewards events
- Cardholder savings day of the month
- Early access to in-store promotions and events
- Regular Purchase APR: 25.49%
- Cash Advance APR: 29.99%
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 3% of the transaction amount in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $39
- Take a hike with an award-winning landscape photographer – Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 – See Details
- Immerse yourself in the world of Italian food and wine – Offer Expires on January 24, 2031 – See Details
- Save as you shop at London Designer Outlet – Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 – See Details
- Achieve home office harmony with a Feng Shui session – Offer Expires on January 24, 2031 – See Details
- Take a flawless makeup masterclass at Cosmetics à la Carte – Offer Expires on June 30, 2021 – See Details
- Learn to DJ like an expert – Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 – See Details
- Shop like a celebrity with LookStyler – Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 – See Details
- Upgrade your stay in Belfast and see the city in style – Offer Expires on March 31, 2021 – See Details
- Master gin and tonics with tips from two expert restaurateurs – Offer Expires on May 28, 2021 – See Details
- Get a taste of the pirate’s life with Miami Children’s Museum – Offer Expires on January 22, 2031 – See Details
- View All Deals –
At a Glance
The Belk Rewards Mastercard® is a retail rewards card built to accommodate even Belk’s biggest spenders. It offers an upgradeable rewards system based on the cardholder’s spending habits, with extra points for everyday purchases like gas and groceries.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Frequently shop at Belk stores and can qualify for the card upgrades to maximize rewards
- Want a retail card that also earns points on gas and grocery purchases
- Plan to take advantage of the discounts and coupons exclusive to cardholders
Belk Rewards Mastercard® Credit Card Review
Not to be confused with the store-only Belk Rewards Card, the Belk Rewards Mastercard® can be used to make purchases and earn points just about anywhere. While the majority of points awarded will come from Belk purchases, you’ll also earn 2X points at gas stations and grocery stores. Combine this with 1X points on all other spending and exclusive Belk discounts, and you have a Belk lover’s dream rewards card.
Applying for the Belk Rewards Mastercard®
Before we get into the rewards, it’s important to point out that even if you apply for a Belk Mastercard, that may not be the card Belk gives you. This is because the application you fill out applies to both the store-only Belk Rewards Card, and the Mastercard version. While these cards come with the same perks (including upgrades), only the Mastercard can be used outside of Belk stores. Therefore, that’s the card that offers the most flexibility and bang for your buck. Unfortunately, that means applying for this card is a bit like playing Russian roulette – you won’t know which one you’ll get until you apply. The rule of thumb is, the better credit history you have, the more likely you are to get the card you want. It’s also possible to start out with the store card and work your way up to the Mastercard with responsible use.
Earning Basic Belk Rewards
If you do happen to receive the Mastercard version of this credit card, you’ll hit the ground running when it comes to earning rewards. As with most great retail credit cards, you don’t just earn points on purchases from the associated store – which would be 3 points per dollar in this case. The Belk Mastercard also allows you to earn points on gas, groceries, and other daily items. In particular, you can earn 2 points per dollar spent at gas stations and grocery stores. This includes service stations, bakeries, supermarkets, but not warehouses and wholesale stores. You’ll also collect 1X points on all other purchases, in addition to these exclusive cardholder perks:
- 20 exclusive savings days
- Returns with no receipt required
- Events where you can earn bonus rewards
- Cardholder savings day of the month
- Early access to new promotions and store events
In addition, you qualify for certain sign up bonuses on the day your account opens. This includes 1,000 bonus points for your first purchase (worth 10 Belk Dollars), and 20% off most Belk merchandise.
Belk Mastercard® Rewards Upgrades
Once you’ve had your Belk credit card for about a year, you become eligible for a card upgrade. Belk offers 2 upgrade levels depending on your yearly level of spending, though this only includes your store purchases. (Note that just as Belk can upgrade your rewards card, it can also downgrade your account as your yearly spending habits change.) Each level improves upon the perks you get from the basic card, starting with the reward rate:
|Card Level||Belk Rewards||Required Belk Spending|
|Belk Premier Rewards Card||4X points||$600 – $1,499|
|Belk Elite Rewards Card||5X points||$1,500+|
The Belk Premier Rewards Mastercard comes with all the exclusive benefits of the basic rewards card, with a few other additions. This includes a birthday coupon, use of the Belk Rewards Flex Pay Plan, and access to invite-only premier savings days. Likewise, the Belk Elite Rewards Mastercard gets all that, plus free shipping on Belk items, a 20% off sale day of your choice each quarter, and 4 invite-only savings days. To qualify for these upgrades, your account must also be in good standing and you can’t be more than 2 payments past due – not that you’d want to be. While it’s fairly easy to achieve and maintain the upgrades on your Belk Mastercard, you want to make sure not to spend more than you can handle. This card comes with pretty high APRs and late fees, and these can quickly cancel out any savings you earn.
How to Use Your Belk Rewards
Once you collect enough points with your Belk Rewards credit card, you’ll start to automatically redeem them for Belk Reward Dollars. Every 1,000 points earned is equal to 10 Belk Reward Dollars, and they’re always issued in this increment of 10. Any leftover points transfer over to the next billing cycle. There’s no cap to the amount of points you can collect overall, but note that they expire 1 year from the day you earn them. You can receive no more than 100 Belk Reward Dollars per billing cycle, and they will arrive in the mail within 2 to 3 billing cycles. To redeem them, you’ll need to shop with your Belk card either in-store or on belk.com within the timeframe specified, and present the rewards at checkout. One of the best parts about this system is that you have the ability to combine your rewards with other promotions for additional savings. However, if you don’t use the full value of your Belk Reward Dollars on your transaction, you forfeit the remaining balance.
Should You Apply for the Belk Rewards Mastercard® Credit Card?
If you’re a frequent shopper at Belk – and I mean a frequent shopper – then this card may be a no-brainer for you. The tiered rewards system allows you to earn rewards based on your own spending habits, and there’s almost no end to the extra discounts. At the highest level, you can take advantage of at least 25 exclusive savings days throughout the month. This means you save almost every time you’re in the store. However, unless your Belk’s biggest fan, this is likely not the best option. It has punishingly high APRs and late fees that can gut your credit score if you fall behind on your payments. And given that this card encourages large amounts of retail spending, that can be a dangerous game to play.