Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on January 14th, 2022
Barclays View™ Mastercard®
- Regular Purchase APR 13.99% to 25.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 13.99% to 25.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 25.24% to 26.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
Credit NeededBestCards.com uses a variation of FICO Score 8, which is one of many different types of credit scores. A financial institution may use a different score when deciding whether to approve you for a credit card.Excellent
- Processing Network Mastercard
- Earn 3X points on restaurant purchases (including takeout and delivery)
- Earn 2X points on internet, select streaming, phone and TV services
- Earn 2X points on grocery store purchases (excluding Target® & Walmart®)
- Earn 1X points on all other purchases
- Periodic offers for up to 18 months special financing
- Regular Purchase APR: 13.99% to 25.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 13.99% to 25.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 25.24% to 26.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 0% to 3% of each transaction in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
Browse these credit card deals and thousands of other offers by becoming a Bestcards Member.Join today!
At a Glance
The Barclays View Mastercard is a basic rewards credit card that serves as a refresh to the old Barclaycard Financing Visa. The card offers enhanced rewards on dining, grocery, and streaming service purchases and 1X points on all other purchases – all for no annual fee.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Want a credit card with everyday value and basic reward categories
- Subscribe to streaming servcies
- Need access to special financing periods on select purchases
- Don’t want to pay an annual fee
Barclays View Mastercard Review
The Barclays View Mastercard is a versatile rewards card that provides up to 3X points on purchases, special introductory financing, and more – all for no annual fee. The card is a replacement for the Barclaycard Financing Visa, a popular low APR card that helped finance purchases with major brands like Apple.
How to Earn Rewards
The Barclays View offers quality value on everyday purchases. The card earns 3X points on all dining purchases, including services like takeout and delivery via apps like UberEATS, GrubHub, DoorDash, Delivery Dudes, and more. That rate is comparable to other versatile cards, like the Chase Sapphire Preferred, or even a cash back card like the Chase Freedom Flex or Freedom Unlimited.
The View also earns 2X points on grocery store purchases, though this category is somewhat limited. Like other comparable cards, the groceries category excludes “box stores” – i.e., large department stores that also sell groceries, like Target, Walmart, and others. Fortunately, the View also earns 2x on streaming services, including a vast assortment of popular streaming options:
- Apple TV
- Apple Music
- CBS All Access
- Direct TV
- ESPN Plus
- Fubo TV
- NFL Game Pass
- NFL Sunday Ticket
- NHL TV
- Sirius XM
- Sling TV
- YouTube Premium
- YouTube TV
All other purchases with the card earn a single point per dollar spent, with no limit on the total number of points earnable. Points never expire as long as the account is open and in good standing.
How to Redeem Rewards
Barclays’ rewards program is undergoing a refresh, thanks to a renewed emphasis on proprietary rewards cards versus co-branded cards with major airlines, resorts, and other brands. Fortunately, this new refresh is offering greater redemption value to Barclays View Mastercard members.
Cardholders can redeem their points for several options, including cash back (as a direct deposit to an associated U.S. bank account), statement credits to offset the card bill or gift cards towards purchases with leading brands.
It should be noted that the company does not list travel as a redemption option. This option (or lack therefor) is certainly a letdown – and one Barclays would be wise to rectify.
Special Financing Options
The Barclaycard Financing Visa (also previously known as the Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards) was, at its heart, a card that provided special interest rates on select purchases. With the shift to a new rewards card, there was a fear that the new Barclays View Mastercard would lose the Barclaycard’s initial lure.
Fortunately, Barclays is keeping some features of the old Financing Visa. The Barclays View Mastercard offers limited-time offers to let cardholders enjoy deferred interest financing on purchases at select electronics retailers, like Apple, Best Buy®, and more, based on their account eligibility.
Other Card Features
Other notable features of the Barclays View Mastercard include:
- No annual fee
- EMV chip and contactless payment technology
- Zero fraud liability
- Mastercard ID Theft Protection
- Mastercard Global Services access
Should You Apply for the Barclays View Mastercard?
Overall, the Barclays View Mastercard is a nice improvement on the old Barclaycard Financing Visa. The previous card offered special financing and basic points but only allowed redemptions for gift cards. On the other hand, the new card provides much greater value on everyday purchases and a more comprehensive range of award options.
The 3X on dining is a great feature, as is the 2X on groceries. The 2X points on streaming offer excellent value – especially for those who regularly use expensive services like NFL Sunday Ticket, MLB.tv, or TV services like Hulu, Fubo, and others.
The fact that Barclays is continuing the special financing feature of the Barclaycard is another great perk – and one that won’t make existing cardholders feel ripped off by an unforeseen product change.