Last updated on July 31st, 2023
Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
The American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card
The American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card
- 18.49% to 26.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Regular Purchase APR
- 0% for 12 months from account opening date Intro Purchase APR
At a Glance
The American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card is a no-annual-fee business and cash back card from American Express and earns a flat 2% cash back on all purchases which are applied as a statement credit. It is best suited as a supplementary business card to use when an expenditure won’t earn rewards with another card.
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- 0.0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable rate based on your creditworthiness and other factors as determined at the time of account opening. APRs will not exceed 29.99%
- Earn 2% cash back on all eligible purchases on up to $50,000 per calendar year, then 1%. Cash back earned is automatically credited to your statement.
- From workflow to inventory to floor plans, your business is constantly changing. That's why you've got the power to spend beyond your credit limit with Expanded Buying Power.
- Just remember, the amount you can spend above your credit limit is not unlimited. It adjusts with your use of the Card, your payment history, credit record, financial resources known to us and other factors.
- No Annual Fee
- Terms Apply
- Intro Purchase APR: 0% for 12 months from account opening date
- Regular Purchase APR: 18.49% to 26.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: If eligible, either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 2.7% of the transaction amount in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $39
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: $39
- You need a card that can handle large, unexpected business expenses regardless of the credit card limit
- You want cash back earnings applied towards your credit card balance
- You want complimentary employee cards with cash back earning potential
- You want rewards points on everyday business purchases on the card
American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card Review
The American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card is a straightforward cash back business credit card that earns 2% back on all purchases (up to $50,000 per year). After reaching $50,000 in purchases, cash back is reduced to 1% on eligible purchases (1X points per dollar), but all cash back earnings are credited to your statement as a statement credit.
The card has no annual fee, offers 0% APR for purchases for the first 12 months from the date of account opening (after that your APR will be a variable rate based on creditworthiness), and what the American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card lacks in the way of free accounts and memberships that the American Express premium business cards offer, it makes up for in ease of use. Businesses with yearly expenditures over $50,000 have far more lucrative business card options than this one and should look elsewhere.
Who Can Benefit from the American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card?
Designed with small business owners in mind, the strongest feature of the American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card is the expanded buying power. This Amex feature allows for purchases beyond the set credit limit – and without any fees. How does this work? Call a customer representative or check the ‘Spending Ability’ button on your account to request temporary approval to make purchases above your credit limit.
Even better, you’ll still earn 2% cash back on those purchases as well. This perk is particularly handy for new businesses that are notorious for having a number of large upfront costs (renting office space, outfitting offices with furniture and tech, installing software, etc.). Paired with the zero-interest introductory offers, this card is well equipped to handle to accommodate unexpected business expenditures quite well.
Business Management Tools
This card also comes with several handy account and spending management tools – a necessity for business owners who will need to monitor the spending on complimentary employee cards. Spend Manager and QuickBooks access will allow you to keep track of receipts and transcripts across all company cards, making end-of-year expenses reviewing a breeze.
Vendor Pay from Bill.com will enable businesses to use their American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card to pay vendors that typically require checks or other non-electronic forms of payment. Not only does it simplify paying for the services and goods that keep your business running but it ensures that you never miss out on an opportunity to earn that 2% cash back.
Should You Apply for the American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card?
Overall, the American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card isn’t strong enough to be a business’ primary credit card but would make a great in-between business card. Use it to supplement cash back rewards for purchases that don’t fall into other rewards categories (i.e. dining or office supplies).
Business owners who don’t want to deal with multiple point redemption options will find this card easy to use – as the automated statement credit allows the earning and redemption of rewards without a second thought.
As a cash back business credit option, the American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card is standard to other business credit cards that offer a flat cash back rate on earnings and have no annual fee. As such, the one major downfall of this Amex business card is the lack of a welcome offer (which many of the other cards do offer). In direct comparison to those like the Ink Business Unlimited℠, the American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card does little to incentivize choosing this card over the other nearly identical options.
The American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card is a fine option if you are already ingrained within the American Express ecosystem, but otherwise, you may as well pursue a business credit card that offers a strong welcome offer, like The Blue Business Plus® Credit Card from American Express, which earns 2X Membership Rewards Points per dollar spent. Other business credit cards to consider include Chase’s Ink cards, including the Chase Ink Business Cash and the Ink Business Unlimited – both excellent cash back options.