Last updated on April 11th, 2023
Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
USAA Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® Card
USAA Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® Card
- 11.65% to 28.65% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Regular Purchase APR
- 11.65% to 28.65% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Balance Transfer APR
- 11.65% to 28.65% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Cash Advance APR
At a Glance
The USAA Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® Card offers cardholders low rates on purchases, balance transfers, and cash advances. They can also take advantage of no foreign transaction fees, no annual fee, and no penalty APR. USAA is a credit union geared not only towards memerbs of the U.S. armed forces, but also to their families – making the USAA Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® a great basic rewards card for a wide-ranging group of individuals.
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- Pay no foreign transaction fees when you travel outside the U.S.
- Get free collision damage waiver coverage to pay for physical damage and theft to most vehicle rentals
- Extend your manufacturer's or U.S. store-brand warranties
- No annual fee
- Regular Purchase APR: 11.65% to 28.65% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% Introductory APR through your 02/01/2024 billing cycle
- Balance Transfer APR: 11.65% to 28.65% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: 3% of the amount of each transfer
- Cash Advance APR: 11.65% to 28.65% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: 3% of the amount of each cash advance. Fee waived when transferring funds electronically to a USAA deposit account
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $35
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $35
- You're in the U.S. military or are related to someone in the U.S. military
- You want low rates for purchases, balance transfers, or cash advances
- You want no annual fee
- You want no foreign transaction fees
USAA Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® CardTerms & Conditions
USAA Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® Card Review
The USAA Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® Card is a low APR credit card that lives up to its billing. From USAA, the card offers the issuer’s lowest rate possible – and one of the lowest APRs on the market today.
An Exceptionally Low APR
Cardholders interested in low rates for purchases, balance transfers, and cash advances will get great value from the USAA Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® Card. Today, the card’s base interest rate is among the lowest on the market, with rates currently just below the seven-percent thresholds.
Of course, those low rates only apply to the very best credit scores. Those with good credit (a FICO score in the high 600’s) can expect less-than-stellar interest rates that rise as high as the mid-20s. The card doesn’t offer anything worthwhile versus other cards available from other major banks for those receiving such an offer.
Other Card Features
While the low APR is the key talking point, other features are worth noting with the Rate Advantage Visa Platinum. The card lacks fees for a variety of standard charges, including no:
- Annual fee
- Foreign transaction fee
- Penalty APR
- Over-the-credit-limit fee
Beyond the lack of fees, the card also enjoys the basic Visa benefits from a Visa Platinum credit card. These perks and protections include Visa Roadside Dispatch, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, and Visa’s Zero Fraud Liability service.
Should You Apply for the USAA Rate Advantage Visa Platinum® Card?
Overall, the Rate Advantage Visa Platinum Card is an excellent low APR credit card for a very select few. The best credit scores can anticipate an APR on purchases and balance transfers beyond their wildest dreams, but those with good credit might find themselves with a card that doesn’t live up to the “rate advantage” name.
The lack of any 0% intro APR periods (either on purchases or balance transfers) also hurts the card, but again, those with excellent credit probably won’t mind too much – especially if their interest rate is well below 10% every day. Those seeking 0% intro APR might have better luck with cards like the Chase Slate Edge, the Citi
Simplicity® Card and Citi® Diamond Preferred® Card.
The information related to Citi Simplicity Card and Citi Diamond Preferred Card has been collected by BestCards.com and has not been reviewed or provided by the issuer or provider of this product or service.