Last updated on July 18th, 2023
Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
USAA Military Affiliate American Express® Card
USAA Military Affiliate American Express® Card
- 10.9% to 25.9% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Regular Purchase APR
- 10.9% to 25.9% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Balance Transfer APR
- 10.9% to 25.9% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Cash Advance APR
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- 2,500 bonus points credited to your account with your first purchase
- Collision damage waiver coverage pays for physical damage and theft to most rental vehicles
- Identity theft resolutions services provides assistance should you become the victim of identity theft
- Extended warranty extends your manufacturers or U.S. store brand warranties for up to one year
- Regular Purchase APR: 10.9% to 25.9% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for the first 12 months from account opening
- Balance Transfer APR: 10.9% to 25.9% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: 3% of the amount of each transfer (maximum fee per transfer $200)
- Cash Advance APR: 10.9% to 25.9% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: 3% of the amount of each cash advance (maximum fee for each convenience check: $200). Fee waived when transferring funds electronically to a USAA deposit account
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $35
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $35
At a Glance
The USAA Military Affiliate American Express® Card lets cardholders show their military pride while supporting the affiliate group of their choice. In addition to the 0% intro APR for 12 months on balance transfers and convenience checks that post within the first three months, this card offers rewards and travel benefits. USAA is a credit union not only for members of the U.S. armed services, but also for their family.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Are in the U.S. military or are related to someone in the U.S. military
- Want to pay down a balance
- Want no annual fee
- Want no foreign transaction fees
USAA Military Affiliate American Express® Card Review
The USAA Military Affiliate American Express® Card is a unique rewards credit card that allows U.S. service personnel – past and present – to show their military pride with every purchase. Applicants have over 50 military organizations from which to choose. These organizations include the U.S. Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marines, Navy, and veterans’ affairs groups.
Better Rewards Than the Visa Version
The USAA Military Affiliate American Express® Card is a rewards credit card, and it is decent at this task. This is especially true when comparing the card with the Visa Signature version. That card earns just a single point for every dollar spent, which is significantly lower than many other rewards cards. T
The Amex card offers much better value, with 2X points on gas and groceries and a single point for all other purchases. This earning rate is on par with the USAA® Rewards™ Visa Signature® Card. Points never expire, and there is no cap. Points can be redeemed for gift cards, cash, brand-name merchandise, and air travel.
0% Intro APR for 12 Months and Low Rates After That
USAA likes to give its members exceptional value for money – and that is the case when it comes to the introductory APR with both Military Affiliate credit cards.
New accounts with the Amex card enjoy 0% intro APR for 12 months on balance transfers – and a great low rate after that. That rate is considerably lower than most other credit cards in the market, though it only applies to those with the very best credit scores.
Those with average credit scores won’t enjoy a great interest rate. Average credit will get you an APR significantly higher than what you’d expect from a credit card of this type, with rates rising well into the mid-20s.
USAA makes up for these disparate interest rates by offering healthy credit limits. Credit limits will vary significantly depending on the credit score and history of each applicant. Still, most users report that they receive larger limits with the USAA Military Affiliate Cards than other similar products from different issuers.
Other Card Features
Other features of note include:
- No annual fee
- No foreign transaction fees
- Extended warranty protection
- Identity theft resolution services
Should You Apply for the USAA Military Affiliate American Express® Card?
Overall, the USAA Military Affiliate American Express® Card is a decent rewards card that offers better value than its Visa Signature sibling. The 2X reward points on gas and groceries are the biggest highlight, followed closely by 12 months of 0% intro APR on balance transfers.
Where the Amex version falls short, however, is globally. The Visa payment network is significantly bigger than American Express, meaning the Visa card offers more excellent value abroad. For America-based troops and veterans, however, the USAA Military Affiliate American Express® Card is a solid rewards credit card worth considering.