| Last updated on November 23rd, 2023
USAA Rewards™ American Express® Card
USAA Rewards™ American Express® Card
- 14.9% to 30.9% variable based on creditworthiness Regular Purchase APR
- 14.9% to 30.9% variable based on creditworthiness Balance Transfer APR
- 14.9% to 30.9% variable based on creditworthiness Cash Advance APR
At a Glance
The USAA Rewards™ American Express® Card is designed to reward cardholders who use it for everyday things such as gas, groceries, and dining out. Once enough rewards points are earned they can be redeemed for cruises, airline tickets, gift cards, or cash.
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- Unlimited Points — 3X points for dining out, 2X points on gas and groceries, and 1X points for every dollar spent on other purchases
- No annual fee
- Added Protection — We help give you peace of mind with: Experienced support if your identity is stolen, extended warranties on your purchases, and travel accident and baggage delay insurance
- Pay no foreign transaction fees when you travel outside the U.S.
- Regular Purchase APR: 14.9% to 30.9% variable based on creditworthiness
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% Introductory APR through your 02/01/2024 billing cycle
- Balance Transfer APR: 14.9% to 30.9% variable based on creditworthiness
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: 3% of the amount of each transfer
- Cash Advance APR: 14.9% to 30.9% variable based on creditworthiness
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: 3% of the amount of each cash advance. Fee waived when transferring funds electronically to a USAA deposit account
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $35
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $35
- You're in the U.S. military or are related to someone in the U.S. military
- You frequently dine out or spend money on gas
- You want a card with no annual fee
- You want no foreign transaction fees
USAA Rewards™ American Express® Card Review
The USAA Rewards™ American Express® Card is an excellent rewards credit card that offers quality perks for USAA members. The card provides an exceptionally low rate on purchases and balance transfers, unlimited points, and no annual fee.
Accelerated Points on Select Categories
The Amex Rewards Card is one of the most lucrative rewards cards in the USAA portfolio of credit products. Cardholders who use their USAA Rewards™ American Express® Card can earn 3x points for dining out, 2x points on gas and groceries, and 1x points for all other purchases. They then choose what they want to redeem these points for, whether be flights, cruises, cash, or gift cards.
The Rewards Amex Card also comes with the same 2,500 bonus points offer that the Military Affiliate Cards from USAA also feature. New accounts earn an instant 2,500-point bonus (worth up to $25) just for making the first purchase using the card.
An Excellent APR – for Some
The purchase and balance transfer APR with the USAA Rewards™ American Express® Card vary considerably. Those with excellent credit scores can expect an interest rate under 10% – more than 4% lower than the national average for such a credit score. On the other end of the spectrum, the APR rises to around 26% – making the card less favorable for those with less than perfect credit scores.
Special Military APR for Active Deployment
USAA prides itself on its commitment to U.S. military personnel and their families, and their credit card offerings are no different. The USAA Rewards™ American Express® Card is like other USAA offers in that it provides a special fixed APR for military members on active duty, deployment, or permanent station change (PCS).
USAA credit card customers enjoy an impressive 4% APR on balances owed when they begin active duty. Even better, this 4% APR offer extends until the cardholder pays off their balance, or they celebrate their first anniversary of ending their active duty tour.
The special APR for active-duty personnel also applies to all existing balances for up to 12 months should the account holder experience deployment or a permanent station change.
Other Card Features
Other Card Features of note include
- Identity theft resolution services
- Auto rental coverage
- Travel accident insurance
- Trip cancellation and trip interruption insurance
- Baggage delay reimbursement
- Extended warranty on U.S. manufacturer’s warranties
Should You Apply for the USAA Rewards™ American Express® Card?
The USAA Rewards™ American Express® Card is another great rewards card from USAA. Like other cards in the portfolio, the card earns accelerated rewards on dining, gas, and groceries – and offers a small but easily attainable signup bonus. The addition of no annual fee, no foreign transaction fees, and the special 4% active deployment/PCS interest rate for 12 months is also nice.
Overall, the card is an excellent option to consider – particularly if you are on active duty, have excellent credit, and want a card that offers everyday value.
Browse Other USAA Credit Card Offers
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards.com's reviews, articles, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author(s). These opinions do not reflect those of any card issuer or financial institution, and editorial content on our site has not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless noted otherwise. Further, BestCards.com lists credit card offers that are frequently updated with information believed to be accurate to the best of our team's knowledge. However, please review the information provided directly by the credit card issuer or related financial institution for full details.