SDCCU Cash Rewards Visa Platinum
Earn Unlimited Cash Back Rewards
- Earn unlimited 1% cash back
- Cash rewards automatically post to your account each month
- Free online banking
- $500,000 Travel Accident Insurance, Auto Rental Insurance
- Regular Purchase APR: 9.99% to 19.99%, based on creditworthiness
- Balance Transfer APR: 13.99% to 23.99%, based on creditworthiness
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $1 or 2% of the amount of each balance transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 13.99% to 23.99%. based on creditworthiness
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $1 or 2% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 2% of the transaction amount in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $10
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $20
- Spoil your pup with a FREE upgrade to BarkBox. - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Save 10% on all Afternoon Tea orders - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Save 10% on The Berlin Pass - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Complimentary EZ Mini Crunchies (60g) when you spend S$120 - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- 10% off museum entry - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Save up to 55% on London theater tickets - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Save an extra 10% on Tower of London access tickets - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Save 5% with Alamo® at participating locations - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Save 5% with Enterprise Rent-A-Car® at participating locations - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Save an extra 5% on The Paris Explorer Pass - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- View All Deals -
At a Glance
The SDCCU Cash Rewards Visa Platinum, from the San Diego County Credit Union, is a no-frills cash back rewards credit card. Featuring a low, competitive APR and unlimited rewards, it’s not as flashy as some of the other cash back credit cards on the market – but its simplicity is part of its draw.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Live in San Diego, Riverside, or Orange County
- Would like to earn unlimited cash rewards from everyday purchases
- Want a credit card that does not charge an annual fee
- May carry a balance and want to save money in between billing cycles thanks to a low APR
- Would like a credit card with Visa® benefits like travel accident insurance and auto rental insurance
SDCCU Cash Rewards Visa Platinum Review
For Californians who are looking for a cash back credit card, the SDCCU Cash Rewards Visa Platinum card is a great place to start. It’s a no-frills credit card that offers cardholders the opportunity to enjoy cash rewards from every purchase.
Who Can Qualify for the SDCCU Cash Rewards Visa Platinum?
In order to apply for the SDCCU Cash Rewards Visa Platinum card, you must be a member of SDCCU. Potential cardholders should be aware: if they do not live in the Southern California area and bank with San Diego County Credit Union, odds are this card will not be a good fit. A credit card from a national issuer, or from a bank or credit union in your own geographic location, will likely be a better option.
Earn Unlimited Cash Back
Using the SDCCU Cash Rewards Visa Platinum card, cardholders can earn 1% cash back from every purchase. Whether you’re buying a new couch or a computer, groceries for the week, or a pack of gum at the corner store, you’ll receive 1% cash back from each eligible purchase. Transactions such as balance transfers, cash advances, overdraft transfers, convenience checks, unauthorized and disputed charges, and fees like finance charges, late payment fees, balance transfer fees, and maintenance fees, do not qualify for cash rewards.
Best of all, there is no limit to the amount of cash rewards that can be earned. Unlimited cash back is a great way to start saving money while learning the ropes of credit card rewards programs, especially when it’s coupled with the perks that San Diego County Credit Union offers cardholders. Cash rewards automatically post to your billing statement as a credit each month. There’s no need to redeem them yourself, which simplifies the process even further – and eliminates the chance that your cash rewards could expire. Cardholders must keep their account in good standing in order to qualify for and receive cash back rewards. Delinquent payments, multiple returned items (fraudulent card use) and over-the-credit-limit status can all result in your eligibility for the cash rewards program to be suspended, or even terminated.
Enjoy a Low APR and Save Money with the SDCCU Cash Rewards Visa Platinum
Carrying a balance One of the best features of the SDCCU Cash Rewards Visa Platinum card is its low APR for purchases and balance transfers. Credit union credit cards are known for having competitive and low interest rates, and this offering from SDCCU is no different. It weighs in with an APR approximately 6 percentage points below the national average, which makes it a great choice for anyone who may carry a balance in between statements. Although carrying a balance isn’t ideal, it’s something millions of Americans do every day. After all, life happens and other expenses sometimes take priority.
Carrying a balance with a card that has a low interest rate like the SDCCU Cash Rewards Visa Platinum can go a long way towards saving money from interest charges. Cardholders can save even more money thanks to the absence of an annual fee. Since this credit card is a simple example of a cash back rewards credit card with no real bells and whistles aside from 1% cash rewards and a low interest rate, it wouldn’t make sense for cardholders to pay an annual fee to use it. In other words, the terms and benefits might not outweigh an annual fee; the lack of a fee, however, means that the SDCCU Cash Rewards Visa Platinum can be a good choice for someone who is just beginning to explore the world of credit card rewards.
SDCCU Cardholder Perks
In addition to a low APR and 1% cash back rewards, the SDCCU Cash Rewards Visa Platinum card also features several great benefits from San Diego County Credit Union and Visa®. Cardholders have access to free online banking, which grants them the ability to monitor spending, make payments quickly and easily, and quickly report fraudulent activity. In addition to budgeting tools, the online portal also allows cardholders to view their FICO® score for free. There are several Visa® perks that accompany the Cash Rewards Visa Platinum from SDCCU. While Visa Signature cards tend to feature more travel-oriented protections, this card offers the following:
- $500,000 Travel Accident Insurance (in case of accidental death or dismemberment while abroad)
- Auto Rental Insurance (when the card is used to pay for a rental vehicle while traveling)
- Visa Zero Liability – 100% protection from unauthorized use of your credit card
Should You Apply for the SDCCU Cash Rewards Visa Platinum from San Diego County Credit Union?
Ultimately, the SDCCU Cash Rewards Visa Platinum Card Is a great example of a pared-down, basic cash back credit card. It’s a great introduction to the world of cash back rewards, since it features a simplified cash rewards program that applies to virtually every purchase a cardholder can make. Additionally, since rewards are automatically applied to each billing statement, it eliminates the guesswork when it comes to how to redeem points or cash. This is also useful because cash rewards that are automatically applied to each monthly balance will never expire after being earned.
On the other hand, there are plenty of cash back credit cards that may be more attractive for folks who want a little more “razzle dazzle” when it comes to the rewards they can earn. Some cash back cards, like the Discover it® Cash Back Card, offer cash back not only for purchases but also as a sort of introductory bonus. Discover sweetens the deal by matching the cash back you’ve earned at the end of your first year; unfortunately, this card does not.
Although Discover is one of the only issuers that offers twice the rewards by matching cashback in this way, other cards have their own incentives and perks. There are a variety of cash back credit cards on the market that offer beefed-up cash rewards. Earning 1% back on every eligible purchase is a good starting point, but those considering applying for the SDCCU Cash Rewards Visa Platinum should consider other, more lucrative offers as well.
Credit cards like the Bank of America® Cash Rewards Credit Card and the Zerocard offer up to 3% cash back; the Capital One® Savor® Cash Rewards Credit Card offers up to 4% cash back, and the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express features a whopping 6% for some spending categories. Many rewards credit cards from national issuers like Chase have interest rates that can be nearly double that of this offering from SDCCU. Student cards, and secured cards have even higher standard interest rates, too.
Although credit union cards tend to have lower APRs, applicants are fairly limited when it comes to choosing a credit union card, as they’ll need to find one in their immediate area; typically, to use a credit union credit card, you must be a member of that credit union.