Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on September 9th, 2021
SDCCU Visa Platinum with Fly Miles Plus
Earn Up to 2,000 Bonus Points
- Regular Purchase APR 9.99% 12.99%, 14.99%, or 19.99%, based on creditworthiness
- Balance Transfer APR 13.99%, 16.99%, 18.99%, or 23.99%, based on creditworthiness
- Cash Advance APR 13.99%, 16.99%, 18.99%, or 23.99%, based on creditworthiness
- Annual Fee $0 for the first 12 months. After that, $35
- Credit Needed Excellent , Good
- Processing Network Visa
- Get 1,000 bonus points for signing up
- Get 1,000 bonus points for enrolling in the Fly Miles Plus Reward Program
- Annual fee waived each year you spend at least $6,000
- Earn up to 120,000 points in one year per enrolled card
- Regular Purchase APR: 9.99% 12.99%, 14.99%, or 19.99%, based on creditworthiness
- Balance Transfer APR: 13.99%, 16.99%, 18.99%, or 23.99%, based on creditworthiness
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $1 or 2% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 13.99%, 16.99%, 18.99%, or 23.99%, based on creditworthiness
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $1 or 2% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Annual Fee: $0 for the first 12 months. After that, $35
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 2% of the transaction amount in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $10
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $20
At a Glance
In the credit card world, ultra low APRs and rewards don’t often mix. However, the SDCCU Visa Platinum with Fly Miles Plus offers members of this credit union the best of both worlds. They’ll get the low, low rates of the basic Visa Platinum card, while also cashing in on travel rewards with every purchase. Each dollar spent will earn 1 point, on top of bonus rewards offered just for signing up.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Work or live in either San Diego, Riverside, or Orange County
- Plan to enroll in the Fly Miles Plus Reward Program for extra bonus points
- Are able to spend at least $6,000 per year to waive the annual fee
SDCCU Visa Platinum with Fly Miles Plus Credit Card Review
If you’re in the market for a low rate rewards card, the Visa Platinum with Fly Miles from San Diego Credit Union is hard to beat. As with the regular SDCCU Visa Platinum, you’ll get a low, non-variable APR on purchases, cash advances, and balance transfers, but with the addition of 1 point per dollar spent on all purchases. This isn’t a massive rewards rate, but it’s significant for what you could easily consider a balance transfer credit card. If you qualify for membership with this credit union and want a card that covers all of your bases, this could be the card you’re looking for.
Cancel Out the Annual Fee
With most rewards cards, you have to decide if the benefits offered will offset the annual fee (if there is one). In the case of the SDCCU Visa Platinum with Fly Miles Plus, however, you can eliminate the fee just by spending. The Fly Miles rewards program for the card comes with an annual fee of $35, which is already automatically waived in the first year. After that, all you need to do is spend at least $6,000 each year and SDCCU will waive the fee again. At $500 per month, this a fairly manageable condition. Even if you can’t meet that, $35 is on the lower side of typical annual fees so it won’t set you back much each year.
Earn 120,000 SDCCU Fly Miles Toward Travel and More
Unlike some of the best travel credit cards which allow for unlimited earnings, this SDCCU credit card caps rewards at 120,000. This might seem restrictive initially, but upon further inspection it’s unlikely this cap will affect most cardholders. Since you’ll earn 1 point per dollar spent, this means you’ll have to spend a pretty unrealistic $10,000 per month to max-out your rewards. While many travel cards have earnings scales that reward more for particular categories, this card gives you flexibility. You’ll earn the same 1 point per dollar for all purchases, which makes it easy to calculate how much you need to spend before you can start to redeem. The SDCCU Visa Platinum with Fly Miles Plus even gives you two easy opportunities to earn bonus points right off the bat. First, you’ll automatically receive 1,000 points just for getting the card. Then, you’ll receive an additional 1,000 points when you sign up for the Fly Miles Plus Rewards Program. This second bonus is basically automatic as well, since you’ll need to sign up for the rewards program to cash in your miles.
Spending Your SDCCU Credit Card Points
As with earning, this card is pretty flexible when it comes to redeeming your SDCCU Fly Miles. How you spend your points helps to determine their value, so it’s important to consider this when making your decision. Overall, you can redeem your points for any of the following:
- Cash deposits into an associated SDCCU savings account
- Gift cards and merchandise in the Fly Miles store
- Airline tickets
- Hotel stays and car rentals
- Cruises and other vacation packages
- Must-see attractions and events
To redeem for a cash deposit, you’ll need a minimum of 6,000 points saved up. Similarly, gift cards and items in the Fly Miles store start at around 3,000 points. Though the card’s terms and conditions don’t really specify, generally miles are worth the most when redeemed for travel. SDCCU provides an elaborate breakdown of point values when redeemed for airline tickets in the Fly Miles Plus reward program website. Rewards start with a $100 discount when you cash in 10,000 points, which gives your miles an average value ($.01) compared to other starter travel cards. For perspective, you’ll need to spend at least $10,000 to redeem for this $100 discount.
Should You Apply for the SDCCU Visa Platinum with Fly Miles Plus?
This is a pretty basic card as far as rewards go, with lots of flexibility on how you can earn and redeem your miles. However, the fact that the SDCCU Visa Platinum with Fly Miles Plus complements these rewards with competitively low APRs is what sets this credit card apart. These features enable the card to transition you from paying off a large balance to earning rewards toward your next vacation with ease. If you want higher rewards, the trade-off will likely be higher APRs and an annual fee.