Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on March 1st, 2022
NASW Visa® Rewards Credit Card
NASW Visa® Rewards Credit Card
Enjoy 1.99% APR for the First 6 Months
- Regular Purchase APR 15.49% to 25.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 15.49% to 25.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 25.49% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
Credit NeededBestCards.com uses a variation of FICO Score 8, which is one of many different types of credit scores. A financial institution may use a different score when deciding whether to approve you for a credit card.Excellent , Good
- Intro Purchase APR 1.99% for 6 months from account opening date
- Processing Network Visa
- No annual fee
- 3% back on fast food, coffee shop, and rideshare purchases
- 2% back on gas and restaurants
- 1% back on all other purchases
- Intro Purchase APR: 1.99% for 6 months from account opening date
- Regular Purchase APR: 15.49% to 25.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 1.99% for 6 months from account opening date
- Balance Transfer APR: 15.49% to 25.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 25.49% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: 27.49% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 1% of each transaction in U.S. dollars; 2% of each transaction made in currencies other than U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
Browse these credit card deals and thousands of other offers by becoming a Bestcards Member.Join today!
At a Glance
The NASW Visa® Rewards Credit Card helps social workers across the U.S. save money with every purchase. The card earns an impressive amount of cash back on everyday purchases – all for no annual fee.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Are a current member of the National Association of Social Workers
- Frequently use their credit card for quick bites to eat or coffees
- Plan to carry a balance or have a small balance to pay down
- Don’t want to pay an annual fee
NASW Visa® Rewards Credit Card Review
The National Association of Social Workers (NASW) is the world’s largest membership organization of professional social workers. The NASW Visa Rewards Card provides the 120,000-strong membership of the group with cashback rewards on every purchase.
Introductory APR on Purchases and Balance Transfers
Like other Commerce Bank cards, the NASW Visa® Rewards comes with a special six-month introductory APR on purchases and balance transfers. New accounts enjoy 1.99% APR for the first six months. While this low APR isn’t 0% intro APR, it still offers exceptional value for those who have an existing credit card balance they want to pay down.
The intro APR offer also provides real value for those who plan to carry a balance (or already do) but have a credit card with a higher-than-average APR. The regular interest rates with the card are unspectacular but competitive. While the average APR is approximately one-percent higher than the national average, that is still better than offers from other banks. This makes the NASW Visa Rewards a decent option for carrying a balance. This value is further enhanced thanks to the cash back rewards it offers with every purchase.
How to Earn 3% Cash Back
The NASW Visa® Rewards Card earns 3% cash back on three unique categories of purchases. Cardholders earn 3% back on purchases at coffee shops, fast food restaurants, and bookings through rideshare apps like Uber or Lyft.
Social workers lead hectic lives. The nature of their work often pulls them in many different directions. These everchanging situations leave little time for rest, so earning 3% back on the breaks they can get is always pleasant. Whether it’s a quick latte or a lunch on the go, the NASW Visa Rewards lets members earn rewards on their breaks.
Earn 2% Back on Gas and Dining
Part of being on the go is filling up the tank – and the NASW Visa Rewards offers excellent value here as well. The card earns 2% back on gas station purchases, letting social workers save some extra money between visits or on their daily commute.
The card also earns 2% back on all other dining purchases. Unfortunately, restaurant purchases only earn 2% back and not 3%, like fast food. That said, the 2% back on dining places the card on par with the Gas & Restaurants Credit Card from Discover, which earns 2% back on both gas and dining on up to $1,000 in combined purchases per quarter– also for no annual fee.
Earn with Every Other Purchase
Every other purchase with the NASW Visa Rewards Card earns 1% back. That means no matter what’s purchased, NASW members earn cash back. Even better, there is no cap to the amount of cash back earnable. This unlimited cash back applies to all categories, including the 3$ and 2% back tears.
How to Redeem Rewards
Cash back rewards are calculated as points. This means that 1% cash back equals 1X points per dollar spent. Points apply to the Commerce Bank rewards program, with 2.500 points the minimum required for redemptions.
There are several redemption options available. These include:
- Cash back, with 2,500 points equal to $25 in statement credit
- Travel, including airfare
- Gif cards from major retailers
- Merchandise from top brands
- Gift points to family or friends
- BP fuel rewards
While BP rewards are popular, points are only valid at select BP locations. Rewards do not carry over after a redemption, with a maximum redemption of 20 gallons. This means to get the most value, you must get the full 20 gallons of fuel – otherwise, you lose the points required for redemption.
Other Card Features
Beyond the rewards and decent introductory APR offer, there really isn’t much to talk about with the NASW Visa® Rewards. The card charges a foreign transaction fee of up to 2%, which is frustrating for those who either plan to travel abroad or use their card for making purchases in foreign currencies. The card also charges a penalty APR. While penalty APRs aren’t uncommon, they are still frustrating. Fortunately, Commerce provides a 60-day window in which to make payments before assessing the penalty.
Should You Apply for the NASW Visa® Rewards Card?
No annual fee rewards cards like the NASW Visa® Rewards are ideal as an everyday tool. That’s because they offer rewards on the types of things people spend heavily on – even if they don’t recognize it. Rewards on gas are something everyone can enjoy, but the real value comes from getting the most out of busy lives. And social workers have those.
3% back on coffee shops, fast food, and ride shares makes the card a valuable addition busy schedule, including rushing to – or from – cases. The 2% back on dining means that no matter where you eat, you’ll be rewarded.
Ultimately, the NASW Visa® Rewards is a niche rewards card that serves that unique base very well. The card earns rewards in a variety of places and offers a satisfactory APR. With the addition of no annual fee, you get an everyday purchasing tool that works well on the go, when the chance for a break presents itself – and everywhere in between.