Huntington Bank Voice Rewards
Earn 3X Points in Your Chosen Category
- Regular Purchase APR 11.99% to 25.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 11.99% to 25.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 23.99% to 28.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
- Credit Needed Excellent , Good
- Processing Network Mastercard
- No annual fee
- Select from one of 10 categories to earn 3X points in
- Change your chosen category every quarter
- Regular Purchase APR: 11.99% to 25.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for 12 months on transfers made within 90 days from account opening date
- Balance Transfer APR: 11.99% to 25.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 23.99% to 28.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each advance, whichever is greater
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $38
At a Glance
The Huntington Bank Voice Rewards Card is one of two Voice Credit Cards from Ohio-based lender, The Huntington National Bank. The card earns 3X points on the first $2,000 in purchases made in a category of the cardholder’s choosing. There are ten categories to select from, which can be swapped out every quarter. The card also features 0% intro APR for a year on balance transfers made within the first 90 days, no balance transfer fees, and no foreign transaction fees.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Want the freedom to change their reward category every quarter
- Plan to carry a balance and have excellent credit
- Have good credit and plan to pay their entire balance off every month
- Don’t want to pay an annual fee or foreign transaction fees.
Huntington Bank Voice Rewards Card Review
The Huntington Bank Voice Rewards Card is an enticing rewards credit card that offers excellent value for it’s no annual fee but can come back to bite those who aren’t careful.
Earn 3X In Your Chosen Category
Huntington allows Rewards Voice Cardholders to earn up to 3X points on every purchase they make. The catch? The first $2,000 (or 6,000 points) in purchases in a chosen category earn 3X points, while every other purchase earns a flat rate 1X points per dollar spent.
Voice Cardholders have a choice of ten different categories in which they can earn triple points:
- Gas stations
- Travel and entertainment
- Discount and warehouse stores
- Grocery stores
- Utilities and office supply stores
- Electronics stores
- Department, apparel, and sporting goods stores
- Auto parts stores
- Home improvement stores
Change Your 3X Category Every Quarter
Many rewards cards either lock you into set categories where you can earn multiple points per dollar spent on purchases, while others have a rotating set of categories where additional points are earned each quarter. The two most prominent examples of the latter are the Chase Freedom and the Discover It Cash Back.
The Rewards Voice Card has a nice twist in that it not only allows cardholders to choose their preferred category to earn 3X points but lets them change their categories every quarter if they want. Think you’ll spend more on travel come the holiday season? Choose travel and entertainment as your 3X category. Or, perhaps you want to make some much-needed home repairs in the summer? In that case, maybe choose home improvement stores is the right way to go.
Of course, you could always just set and forget your bonus category, but the fact you can adjust your rewards to fit your expected spending habits is a nice perk that other issuers should consider.
What Are Voice Points Worth?
Points earned with the card are applicable towards rewards in the Voice Rewards Program, with a variety of redemption options from which to choose. These redemption options include gift cards, cash back, travel, and merchandise.
Voice Rewards points have a cash value of one cent ($0.01) per point, which is on par with the valuations of most rewards programs.
Interest Rates Vary Wildly Based on Creditworthiness
The purchase and balance transfer APRs of any card will differ based on the applicant’s creditworthiness, but that is taken to the extreme with the Voice Card. If you are considering applying for a Huntington credit card and plan to carry a balance on it, make sure that you have exceptional credit.
Both the Rewards Voice Card and the Low Rate Voice Card come with highly competitive interest rates on both balance transfers and purchases (along with a special 0% intro APR offer on balance transfers). In both instances, these rates are far below the national average and make the cards solid choices for carrying balances. But these rates are reserved for people with excellent credit scores.
For those at the lower end of the credit range, the APR with this card is high, to say the least – and extortionate to be blunt. Those who sneak in under the acceptance threshold can expect an interest rate above 27%, which is higher than what you’d find on many secured credit cards or unsecured cards for individuals with poor credit.
Should You Apply for the Huntington Voice Rewards Card?
The Huntington Rewards Voice Card is an excellent option for those who have excellent credit and want a card that offers flexible rewards. The choice of ten categories to earn triple points in is a very nice feature, as is the ability to change categories every quarter if desired.
More pleasant perks include the great low APR on purchases and balance transfers, which make the card ideal for carrying a balance and financing larger purchases over time. The balance transfer pretentions of the card are further enhanced by the special 0% intro APR period for the first year on transfers conducted within the first 90 days of opening an account.
If, however, you don’t have excellent credit (or even very good credit) and plan to carry a balance, be very wary before applying for this card. If you can’t afford to pay down balances transferred over within the first 12 months, interest payments can quickly become unwieldy due to the sky-high APR for those with credit scores in the 600s.
That’s not to say those with good credit scores should be deterred, however. If they plan to pay their balance in full each month, the value present in the Voices Card is exceedingly enticing – and certainly worth applying for.
For those scared away by the interest rates, or maybe just looking for another option to consider, read our comprehensive review of the U.S. Bank Cash+ Visa Signature, which offers 5% cash back on the first $2,000 in purchases in two categories of your choosing, plus 2% back on gas and groceries – all for no annual fee.