Huntington Bank Voice Low Rate
Enjoy a Great, Low APR
- Regular Purchase APR 9.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 9.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 23.99% to 28.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
- Credit Needed Excellent , Good
- Processing Network Mastercard
- No annual fee
- No penalty APR
- Get an extra day to pay if you miss a payment with Late Fee Grace
- No foreign transaction fee
- Regular Purchase APR: 9.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for 12 months on transfers made within 90 days from account opening date
- Balance Transfer APR: 9.99% to 23.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 23.99% to 28.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each advance, whichever is greater
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $38
At a Glance
The Voice Low Rate Card from the Huntington Bank is a balance transfer and low APR card that simply can’t escape the shadow of its Rewards Card sibling. The card benefits from 0% intro APR on balance transfers for the first 12 months, no balance transfer fees, and a regular APR that is 2% lower than what comes with the Rewards Card. The card also features no foreign transaction fees and no annual fee.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Want a low APR and nothing else
- Have excellent credit and plan on carrying a balance
- Don’t want to pay fees for balance transfers, foreign transactions, or annual membership
Huntington Bank Voice Low Rate Card Review
The Huntington National Bank offers two Voice Credit Cards: The Rewards Card and the Low Rate Mastercard. The Low APR version of the Voice Card features many of the same perks as the Rewards Card but lacks the 3X points. It makes up for this with a lower interest rate on purchases and balance transfers, but whether that is enough to make this card worth it remains to be seen.
A 2% Lower APR
The major selling point of the Voice Low Rate Card is a regular APR that is two percentage points lower than those found with the Voice Rewards. This lower rate varies based on the creditworthiness of the applicant, but for those with exceptional credit, the typical interest rate for both purchases and balance transfers will be under 12%.
The average APR for a low interest rate card is typically around 14.5%, while the national average APR for those with excellent credit is about 16%. The Voice Low APR Card easily vaults over both figures, providing those with the top credit scores an ideal tool for carrying a balance or paying down existing credit card debts.
0% Intro APR on Balance Transfers
The great APR with the card is further enhanced by a special introductory rate of 0% on balance transfers for the first year. The only catch is that this special rate only applies to transfers completed within the first 90 days of opening an account – but that is standard fair for most cards.
This potent combination of 0% introductory APR on balance transfers plus a great regular rate after that is further boosted by no balance transfers fees. This trifecta makes the Voice Low APR Card an excellent option for a balance transfer credit card.
Other Nice Features
The 2% lower interest rate is the major selling point of this card, but several other perks and features add a little more spice to Huntington’s recipe. Cardholders not only receive the typical benefits of Mastercard’s Global Service and liability protection but also late fee grace courtesy of Huntington. This perk gives holders an extra day to make their payments, so they don’t have to worry about a late payment fee for being forgetful.
It’s Not All Smooth Sailing However
So far, the Huntington Bank Voice Card sounds pretty good – and that is true for those with excellent credit scores.
For those with less-than-stellar credit, however, the story isn’t as rosy. Like the Voice Rewards Card, those with credit scores in the 600s can expect a sky-high interest rate that could reach as high as 25%. While this is lower than the 27% that Rewards cardholders with good or fair credit might experience, it is still perilously high – and that’s not what you want in a “low APR” credit card.
Should You Apply for the Huntington Bank Voice Low APR Card?
If you have a great credit score and want a balance transfer card to help you pay down existing credit card debts, the Low Rate Card from Huntington Bank is a very solid choice. If you don’t have a credit score above 730, however, look elsewhere.
If your credit score isn’t great, the offers for low APR cards will never be great. The only redeeming feature for this card would be the 12 months of 0% APR on balance transfers, but unless you can afford to pay down the entire balance in a year, there are longer promotional periods elsewhere.
The Citi Simplicity Card, for instance, offers a 0% intro APR period on balance transfers for a whopping 21 months, making it a much better option for paying down a balance. The regular APR will likely be as high as with the Voice Card, but given the extended intro period, there chances of paying off a balance are much greater – all for no annual fee.
Overall, the Voice Low Rate Card from Huntington makes sense for those who are keen to bank with Huntington but prefer a slightly lower rate than rewards customers get. For everyone else though, the Voice Reward Card is a much better option, as the chance to earn 3X points trumps a slightly lower interest rate almost every time.