| Last updated on September 28th, 2023
GM Extended Family Card
GM Extended Family Card
- 19.74% to 29.74% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Regular Purchase APR
- 19.74% to 29.74% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Balance Transfer APR
- 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate Cash Advance APR
- 0% for the first 9 months Intro Purchase APR
At a Glance
Earn 1% in rewards points on all purchases towards the purchase of a new Chevrolet, GMB, Buick, and Cadillac or redeem for cash back in $50 increments. Earnings from the GM Extended Family Card can be combined with GM Employee or Supplier discounts.
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- No annual fee
- Get $100 in Earnings to redeem at GM when you spend $1,000 in your first 3 months
- 1% Earnings on all purchases
- 0% Intro APR on purchases for first 9 months
- Intro Purchase APR: 0% for the first 9 months
- Regular Purchase APR: 19.74% to 29.74% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 19.74% to 29.74% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR: 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- You're an employee or supplier of General Motors
- You have family members whose spending could help expedite earning accumulation
- You regularly upgrade to newer vehicles or plan to purchase one in seven years
- You want a credit card with no annual fees
GM Extended Family Card Review
The GM Extended Family Card is available exclusively for GM employers, suppliers, and their family members. Ideal for the loyal GM-vehicle lover who also happens to be in the market for a new vehicle, this card gives its cardholders extra buying power towards the purchase or lease of a Chevrolet, GMB, Buick, or Cadillac. With no annual fee, this card offers an uncapped 1% in rewards points on all purchases with the option of combining their card earnings with their GM Employee discounts. (Not a GM Employee? Check out the GM BuyPower® Card, which is available to everyone).
Earning GM Rewards on Top of Employee Discounts
The GM Extended Family Card will earn you a meager $1 towards a for every $100 spent. Since it also lacks a new signup bonus or introductory APR, the employee discount will be doing the heavy lifting for any purchase savings. To put it in perspective, you would have to spend over $3 million with this auto credit card to have enough for 2019 Chevrolet Silverado (employee discount not included).
How to Redeem Rewards
Points expire every 7 years, which may limit the potential earnings one might find themselves with before they’re forced to use or lose them. Fortunately, if a cardholder doesn’t find themselves in the market for a new car, truck, or SUV during that time frame, the GM Extended Family Card also has the option to redeem earnings for cash.
Earnings can be redeemed for amounts in $50 increments, which are then distributed via check and mailed to the cardholder (typically within 15 days of the request). The manual nature of the redemption process makes it clear that the principal intent of this card is for cardholders to redeem their earnings towards the acquisition of a new vehicle. Alternatively, GM makes the redemption process for a vehicle relatively straightforward. All GM dealers are said to participate, and cardholders can use earnings towards partial or down payments if they’re short the full amount in credit card earnings.
Should You Apply for the GM Extended Family Card?
Simply put, the card’s 1% isn’t particularly appealing. It helps that the GM Extended Family Card allows authorized users to earn points towards the primary cardholders’ account – exponentially increasing the earning potential of the card. Still, the lack of bonus rewards for category-specific purchases means that a substantial amount of spending is required to achieve significant earnings.
This auto rewards card was designed for a specific niche with very specific rewards – unless you’re buying a new vehicle every seven years, you’ll probably be better off with a credit card rewards program that can amplify your earnings more quickly.
Browse Other Credit Card Offers:
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards.com's reviews, articles, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author(s). These opinions do not reflect those of any card issuer or financial institution, and editorial content on our site has not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless noted otherwise. Further, BestCards.com lists credit card offers that are frequently updated with information believed to be accurate to the best of our team's knowledge. However, please review the information provided directly by the credit card issuer or related financial institution for full details.