Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on April 5th, 2021
- Earn 80,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion Qualification Miles after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months
- With Status Boost(TM), earn 15,000 MQMs after you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to four times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck
- Enjoy your first checked bag free
- Compimentary access into the Delta SkyClubs for you when travelling on a Delta flight
- Regular Purchase APR: 15.74% to 24.74% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR: 25.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: 29.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee: $550
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- 33% off a monthly subscription - Offer Expires on December 31, 2021 - See Details
- 50% off for up to 12 months - Offer Expires on January 03, 2022 - See Details
- Spend $125 or more, get $25 back. Up to 2 times (total of $50). - Offer Expires on May 07, 2021 - See Details
- Spend $25 or more, get $5 back - Offer Expires on May 07, 2021 - See Details
- Spend $100 or more, get $30 back - Offer Expires on June 20, 2021 - See Details
- Spend $150 or more, get $30 back - Offer Expires on April 29, 2021 - See Details
- Spend $50 or more, get $10 back - Offer Expires on May 01, 2021 - See Details
- Spend $250 or more, get $50 back - Offer Expires on April 30, 2021 - See Details
- Spend $75 or more, get $15 back - Offer Expires on May 09, 2021 - See Details
- Spend $100 or more, get $25 back - Offer Expires on May 01, 2021 - See Details
- View All Deals -
At a Glance
Frequent patrons of Delta airlines will find a lot of advantages when using the Delta Reserve® Credit Card. That’s because the card offers a wide variety of perks that more than make up for its $550 annual fee.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Travel often and will benefit from luxury perks
- Plan to use all of the card’s benefits and perks to justify the $550 annual fee
- Are a current SkyMiles frequent flyer
- Don’t want to pay foreign transaction fees
Delta Reserve® Credit Card Review
The Delta Reserve Credit Card from American Express is an excellent co-branded airline rewards card from Amex and Delta Airlines.
How to Earn Miles
For those that love to fly with Delta, the Reserve Card is a good but not great option. The card earns 5X miles on all purchases made directly with Delta, and 1X miles on all other purchases. Those looking for luxury probably won’t mind too much. Still, for the mile-centric traveler, there might be better value elsewhere.
How to Redeem Miles
Fortunately, there is no cap on the total number of miles earnable. Plus, SkyMiles don’t expire. Miles are applicable towards flights, seat upgrades, car rentals, merchandise, gift cards, and much more.
Like other SkyMiles credit cards, the Delta Reserve offers access to Delta’s Status Boost. Spending $30,000 in purchases receives 15,000 Miles Qualification Miles (MQMs). This award is redeemable up to four times per year, jumpstarting a SkyMiles member towards further elite statuses.
Even better, spending $25,000 on purchases a year result in a Medallion Qualification Dollar (MQDs) Waiver. This feature waives the spending requirements for ultra-elite statuses, providing a one-two punch for cardholders that want to experience the very best when they fly with Delta.
Complimentary Lounge Access
Amex bills the Delta Reserve Card as the “Ultimate Travel Experience. This boast bears some truth thanks to the addition of complimentary lounge access. This work includes access to the Delta SkyClub as well as the exclusive Centurion Lounge. For those that want to relax while they travel, this is an excellent option that’s tough to beat.
Other Travel Perks
- Annual Companion Certificate: Cardholders receive a domestic first-class, comfort+, or main cabin round-trip companion fare each year on card renewal.
- TSA Precheck: Cardholders receive a statement credit for TSA Precheck or Global Entry application fees.
- Priority Upgrade: Reserve cardholders have upgrade priority over other Medallion members within the same fare class.
- First Checked Bag Free: First bag free on all Delta flights.
- Dining Statement Credit: Holders can earn up to a total of $220 in dining statement credits in portions of $20 per month
- Priority boarding
- 20% In-flight savings
- Trip delay insurance
- Trip cancellation insurance
- Car rental loss and damage coverage
- AMEX Global Assist Hotline
- No foreign transaction fees
For more information on the Delta SkyMiles loyalty program, check out:
Should You Apply for the Delta Reserve® Credit Card?
The Delta Reserve Card from American Express is an airline reward card geared toward the serious frequent flyer. The annual fee of $550 more than pays for itself. Complimentary access to Delta’s SkyClub, for instance, has a cash value that exceeds the annual fee. Further perks, such as a companion pass, priority boarding, and a free checked bag, add even more value for cardholders. If you frequently travel with Delta, the Reserve Card is an exceptional value. For everyone else, however, there are plenty of great travel rewards cards that come with a lower annual fee.