Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on February 9th, 2022
BJ's Perks Elite® Mastercard®
BJ's Perks Elite® Mastercard®
5% Cash Back on BJ's Purchases
- Regular Purchase APR 17.99% or 27.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 26.99%
- Cash Advance APR 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
Credit NeededBestCards.com uses a variation of FICO Score 8, which is one of many different types of credit scores. A financial institution may use a different score when deciding whether to approve you for a credit card.Good
- Processing Network Mastercard
- Save 10¢ off per gallon at BJ's Gas®
- 5% cash back on most BJ's purchases
- 2% cash back on dining and non-BJ's gas stations
- 1% cash back for everything else
- No annual fee
- Requires BJ’s Perks Rewards® membership
- Regular Purchase APR: 17.99% or 27.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 26.99%
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of the balance transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 3% of the transaction amount in U.S. dollars.
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $41
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $41
Browse these credit card deals and thousands of other offers by becoming a Bestcards Member.Join today!
At a Glance
The BJ’s Perks Elite® Mastercard® allows shoppers to earn up to 5% back on purchases, which can then be used for savings at checkout (in addition to impressive savings of 10¢ per gallon at BJ’s gas stations). There is no annual fee, but you will need a Perks Rewards® membership in order to apply.
Apply for This Card if You:
- Are a BJ’s Perks Rewards® Primary Member ($110 membership)
- Annual spend $400 at BJ’s stores or $1,100 at BJ’s gas stations
- Want direct savings on gas purchases
- Want a card with no annual fee
BJ’s Perks Elite® Mastercard® Review
The BJ’s Perks Elite® Mastercard® credit card allows wholesale shoppers to save on their bulk purchases and fuels their love for cheap gas. The card offers 10¢ in savings at BJ’s gas and up to 5% cash back which can be redeemed at BJ’s stores for savings on future purchases. Even though the cash back earnings are limited to a single redemption method, the BJ’s credit card might still be worth having for the gas savings alone. The card offers no signup bonus (so no pressure to use outside of the retailer) but also has no annual fee.
Eligibility to apply for this card is restricted to BJ’s Perks Rewards® members, the highest tier of BJ’s membership, which costs $110. The ideal person to own the BJ’s Elite Mastercard would spend a minimum of $400 at BJ’s and/or $1,100 at BJ’s gas stations per year. In order to fully recoup the cost of the upper tier of BJ’s membership (i.e. the annual fee of the card), one would have to spend $2,200.
Earning BJ’s Rewards
Cardholders won’t have any difficulty earning cash back rewards to save at the BJ’s checkout. The BJ’s Perks Elite credit card will earn cash back in the following categories:
- 5% cash back on BJ’s purchases
- 2% cash back for dining and non-BJ’s gas stations
- 1% cash back for purchases made everywhere else
- 10¢ in savings at BJ’s gas
Although there are reward categories for purchases outside of the retailer, frequent BJ’s customers would be better off using this card for wholesale purchases and gas. There are plenty of other dining credit cards that offer higher rewards on dining and with more flexible rewards such as the Savor® Rewards from Capital One®.
Should You Apply for the BJ’s Perks Elite Mastercard?
For a retail credit card, the BJ’s reward program is better than most –cashable rewards are much easier to come by since there are no multiple conversions (which dilute the value of earnings) to get in the way. The primary limitation of this card, however, is that earnings (referred to as ‘awards’) can only be redeemed at BJ’s stores and in $20 increments. These awards are automatically generated once the minimum threshold has been reached – but will expire 6 months from the date they were earned (earnings themselves expire every 3 years).
Despite these limitations, the BJ’s Perks Elite card is a very rewarding card to have – especially for those who already find value in being a BJ’s Perks Rewards® Primary Member. There are two options for optimizing the BJ’s Elite credit card: either through earning rewards from BJ’s purchases or by recouping the cost of a membership through savings at the pump. Either way, this card most likely won’t impede on the earning potential of your current credit card lineup, making it easy to keep in your wallet – and even easier to justify applying for.