Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on January 18th, 2022
AARP® Travel Rewards Mastercard® from Barclays
AARP® Travel Rewards Mastercard® from Barclays
Earn a $100 Cash Back Bonus
- Regular Purchase APR 19.74%, 23.74% or 28.74% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 19.74%, 23.74% or 28.74% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 29.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
Credit NeededBestCards.com uses a variation of FICO Score 8, which is one of many different types of credit scores. A financial institution may use a different score when deciding whether to approve you for a credit card.Excellent
- Processing Network Mastercard
- No annual fee
- No foreign transaction fees
- Earn 3% cash back on travel purchases and 2% back on restaurant purchases
- 0% introductory APR on balance transfers for 15 months from account opening date
- Regular Purchase APR: 19.74%, 23.74% or 28.74% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for 15 months from account opening date
- Balance Transfer APR: 19.74%, 23.74% or 28.74% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 29.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $39
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $39
Browse these credit card deals and thousands of other offers by becoming a Bestcards Member.Join today!
At a Glance
The AARP® Travel Rewards Mastercard® from Barclays is a versatile rewards credit card for individuals over the age of 50. The card offers up to 3% cash back on travel purchases and features no foreign transaction fees, an introductory APR offer, and no annual fee.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Are a new or existing AARP member
- Prefer a travel card over everyday cash back rewards
- Have an existing credit card balance to pay down at a lower interest rate
- Prefer a credit card without an annual fee
AARP® Travel Rewards Mastercard® from Barclays Review
The AARP® Travel Rewards Mastercard® from Barclays is a no-annual-fee travel rewards credit card designed to helps seniors save when exploring the globe – or dining out.
How to Earn Rewards
The AARP® Travel Rewards Card closely resembles other travel cards in that it earns cash back in the usual travel-centric categories. Cardholders earn 3% cash back on airfare, hotel stays, and car rentals. The card also earns 2% back on dining purchases, making it a helpful tool both abroad and down the street at your favorite bistro. All other purchases earn an unlimited 1% back.
How to Redeem Rewards
Redeeming cash back with the AARP® Travel Rewards Mastercard® from Barclays is very easy. Cardholders simply visit BarclaysUS.com and choose their award option from the selection:
- Airfare with leading airlines
- Hotel stays with the biggest names in the industry, plus boutique hotels and resorts
- Cash back as statement credits or deposits into linked external bank accounts
Cardholders also can use their cash back to pay the cost of their AARP membership dues. Accounts can redeem their rewards for an AARP membership – either for themselves or as a gift – with options starting at $16.
Rewards never expire, and there are no limits to the total amount of cash back earnable with the card.
Introductory APR Offer on Balance Transfers – Then a Decent Rate After That
New accounts also enjoy a 0% introductory APR for 15 months on balance transfers made within 45 days of account opening. The introductory APR offer is an excellent addition to the card, especially given the promotional period’s length. This makes the card something of a direct competitor to other similar products, including Chase’s impressive Chase Slate Edge Visa.
Once that promotional period on balance transfers ends, the regular APR is very competitive, but not spectacular. The average APR for a travel rewards card is around 16%, so the AARP Travel Card fits perfectly within the range. However, it will not turn heads.
Still, if you have an existing credit card balance, 15 months offers plenty of time to pay off that debt with no interest charges.
balance transfers (and purchases) isn’t exceptional, it is similar to the average APR for comparable cards. Still, if you have an existing credit card balance, 15 months is plenty of time to pay off that debt with no interest charges.
Special AARP Charitable Contributions
The AARP credit cards from Barclays offer unique AARP charitable contributions. Barclays donates $10 to the AARP Foundation for every new account, plus 1% of eligible purchases to the foundation.
Other Card Features
Other notable card features include:
- No annual fee
- Mastercard $0 Fraud Liability Protection.
- Mastercard ID Theft Protection
- Global Services emergency assistance access
Should You Apply for the AARP® Travel Rewards Mastercard® from Barclays?
The AARP® Travel Rewards Mastercard® from Barclays is an excellent travel card for older adults who want to be active AARP members while also getting rewarded every day for their purchases. The card’s travel categories, which earn an unlimited 3% back, are not groundbreaking. They do, however, provide the type of value users want when booking travel. The added bonus of no foreign transaction fees makes the card even more useful.
The 2% back on dining is a great feature, especially as it allows the card to be useful every day with delivery services, takeout, and restaurant dining included in the category.
Overall, the AARP® Travel Rewards Mastercard® from Barclays is a quality option for AARP members to consider when choosing their next credit card. Barclays consistently produces some of the better rewards credit cards on the market, and this one is no different.