Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on January 27th, 2022
Park National Bank Visa Signature® College Real Rewards Card
- Regular Purchase APR 15.99% to 24.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 15.99% to 24.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 27.49% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
Credit NeededBestCards.com uses a variation of FICO Score 8, which is one of many different types of credit scores. A financial institution may use a different score when deciding whether to approve you for a credit card.Poor
- Intro Purchase APR 0% for 6 months from account opening date
- Processing Network Visa
- Earn 1.5 points for every eligible net $1 you spend
- Earn unlimited points that do not expire for five years
- Earn 2,500 bonus rewards points just for using your new card for the first time
- Zero Fraud Liability
- Enjoy 0% APR for the first six billing cycles on purchases and balance transfers
- Intro Purchase APR: 0% for 6 months from account opening date
- Regular Purchase APR: 15.99% to 24.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for 6 months from account opening date
- Balance Transfer APR: 15.99% to 24.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 27.49% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Foreign Transaction Fee: Up to 3% of the transaction amount in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $41
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $41
Browse these credit card deals and thousands of other offers by becoming a Bestcards Member.Join today!
At a Glance
The Park National Bank Visa Signature® College Real Rewards Card is a student credit card that stands out from its peers thanks to a rewards program that allows first-time cardholders to build their credit file while earning rewards that can be redeemed for a variety of enticing perks.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Are looking for a way to establish their credit
- Would like to earn attractive rewards while building a credit profile
- Are attending college or university, or have not yet used a credit card and would like a credit card that does not charge an annual fee
- Want to earn rewards points for making everyday purchases
- Would like a card that offers a special bonus just for making a purchase for the first time
Park National Bank Visa Signature® College Real Rewards Card Review
An excellent opportunity for any student who wishes to establish their credit, the Park National Bank Visa Signature College Real Rewards Card is designed to reward everyday spending with unlimited points. This, when combined with a flexible rewards redemption program that features multiple options guaranteed to appeal to every taste – and no annual fee – culminates in a credit card offer that will be difficult to pass up for anyone who needs to establish their credit.
How to Earn Points with the Park National Bank Visa Signature® College Real Rewards Card
The Visa Signature® College Real Rewards Card from Park National Bank could be considered the valedictorian of student credit cards. It features a simple-yet-lucrative rewards system that sets it apart from most other cards like it thanks to the flexibility it offers on redeeming rewards points that have been accrued while the cardholder is establishing a credit history.
Earning points is as easy as swiping your card. Cardholders will earn 1.5 points for each dollar they spend on eligible net purchases. This rate equates to 1.5% cash back, meaning that 1 point equals 1 cent. There are no limitations on spending categories, which means that students who use their card on campus will discover that making school purchases can be rewarding. The same applies to everyday spending, too. Whether buying books for the semester, grabbing lunch at the quad with friends, or buying movie tickets and popcorn to unwind after a big exam, points are awarded for every qualifying purchase. Points are even accrued for the things you might buy regularly, including groceries and gas. So using this card regularly will help to maximize the amount of rewards that can be earned with it.
As an incentive to apply, cardholders can earn 2,500 bonus points simply for making their first purchase. This bonus redeems at a value of $25 as a cash deposit (if you have an open Park National Bank savings or checking account), or as a statement credit of $25.
An Introductory APR for Students
The Park National Bank Visa Signature College Real Rewards Card offers an introductory APR period of 0% interest for the first six billing cycles for purchases and balance transfers. This is a feature that is not commonly available for student credit cards, and can be particularly useful for college students who need to buy expensive items like textbooks for the semester, since they can charge their books to their credit card and pay it down over time, rather than in one lump sum.
This feature is also useful if students have previous debt, as they can transfer their balance to their new card and pay it down without worrying about interest charges until the introductory period has concluded.
Redeeming Points with the Park National Bank Visa Signature® College Real Rewards Card
Cardholders earn unlimited points from their purchases, and those points do not expire for five years from the quarter in which they’re earned. To redeem the points you’ve earned, you’ll have the option to call the Rewards Center directly at 1-888-229-8864, or log in online. The online portal showcases some of the many options that rewards points can be exchanged for, including:
- Cash Back (as a statement credit or a cash deposit directly with Park National Bank)
- Merchandise from hundreds of brands
- Travel options – discounted hotels, airfare, car rentals, cruises and more
- Gift cards from popular retailers
Perhaps what stands out most about the Visa Signature College Real Rewards Card from Park National Bank is the variety of options that are available in exchange for points. This is unique, since most student cards are limited when it comes to earning rewards, and even more so when it comes to what those points can be exchanged for. For example, the Sallie Mae Ignite Card is coupled with a lucrative cash-back rewards program for students – but the rewards earned from using it cannot be applied towards merchandise, gift cards or travel. Similarly, the HSBC Cash Rewards Mastercard® Credit Card Student Account offers students who are looking to build their credit the chance to earn cash back rewards, but again, this card limits how those rewards can be redeemed to a statement credit. A student rewards credit card that offers travel and merchandise in exchange for points is a rarity.
Visa® Perks are for Students Too
It isn’t often that a student credit card comes with a full suite of Visa® protections and benefits. The Park National Bank Visa Signature College Real Rewards Card includes all of the premium cardholder perks that can be found with a non-student option, including:
- Extended warranty coverage
- Auto rental collision damage waiver coverage
- Zero fraud liability
- Travel assistance
- Fast cash access (ATM access)
- Cards accepted at millions of locations worldwide
- 24-hour cardmember service
- Verified by Visa protection
- Free extra card
What is the difference between the Visa Signature® Real Rewards Card and the Visa Signature® College Real Rewards Card from Park National Bank?
The Visa Signature College Real Rewards Card is one of several consumer cards issued by Park National Bank. If you look at the credit cards that are available, you might notice that they have a credit card with extremely similar terms – and a similar name – called the Park National Bank Visa Signature® Real Rewards Card. However, there are two primary differences between the student and the standard version of this card from Park National Bank:
- Park National Bank is more lenient when it comes to the income and creditworthiness required for the student iteration of the Real Rewards Card. This could also mean that a student applicant might need to have a co-signer to qualify, while the standard Real Rewards card permits potential cardholders to apply individually. However, the latter will have more stringent requirements for approval. These requirements will also affect the overall credit limit that is assigned to a new account, depending on income, credit score, and overall debt.
- The application page for the student card has a question that requires the applicant to list the school or university they are attending, and their expected year of graduation. This requirement is not present on the application for the non-College version of this card.
Should You Apply for the Park National Bank Visa Signature® College Real Rewards Card from Park National Bank?
The Park National Bank Visa Signature® College Real Rewards Card is a strong candidate for anyone who is looking to establish their credit and earn great rewards while doing so. However, choosing the right credit card for you typically boils down to personal preference, and this also applies to selecting a student card. In addition to personal taste, several factors will weigh in when making this decision. Ask yourself, “What are my financial goals? Do I want to earn points and rewards with this card? Will I budget well enough to make my payments on time so that I can build my credit score? Will I carry a balance?” It will be important to carefully consider the answers to these questions. Typically, college students have not yet established a credit profile, and while you might think your options are limited, there are a variety of student credit cards on the market.
The Wells Fargo Cash Back College Card is a comparable option to Park National Bank’s College Real Rewards Card in that it also allows flexibility when it comes to redeeming your cash rewards towards travel, gift cards, merchandise, and cash redemption. If you’d like a student card option that is slightly more rewarding, you might consider the Discover it® Student Cash Back Card. This card allows you to earn 5% in cash back from rotating categories that you pick each quarter, and it even rewards you for maintaining a GPA of 3.0 or higher, too.
With so many different options available, it may be hard to choose. If you feel a student card isn’t right for you – or if you have poor credit that you need to rebuild – a secured credit card is another good alternative.
All things considered, the Park National Bank Visa Signature College Real Rewards Card is a strong candidate for students who wish to build their credit, thanks to its competitive interest rates as well as no annual fee, unlimited point-earning potential, and the flexibility it affords cardholders when it comes to redeeming their rewards.
The Chase Freedom® Student Credit Card is another great student credit card to consider, as it offers cash back, a good grades discount, and no annual fee.