Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
- Bad Credit, No Credit? No Problem
- Reports to Major Credit Bureau
- Fast and Easy Application
- No Employment or Credit Check
- Regular Purchase APR: 0%
At a Glance
The Merit Platinum Card is a basic store card offer from Horizon Financial Services. The Merit Card perfect for consumers seeking to establish or rebuild their credit score. This card features a no interest on purchases, a credit limit of $750, and no credit check.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Have poor credit or no credit history at all
- Want a store card without a credit or employment check
- Want additional perks, like credit monitoring or roadside and legal assistance
Merit Platinum Merchandise Card Review
The Merit Platinum Card is an unsecured store card for exclusive use with Horizon Outlet. The Horizon Outlet is an online store with a huge array of products, including toys, clothing, and gifts.
The card requires no credit check or an employment check. However, one thing Horizon does require, is an active U.S. credit card, debit card, or checking or savings account.
As with other Horizon products, the Merit Card’s spending limit is $750 – a healthy credit limit that dwarfs the starting limits with other catalog cards like the Fingerhut Card.
7-Day Free Trial
One of the unique features of Horizon Services is that they offer a “risk-free” 7-day trial period. During this period, new cardholders can use their Merit Platinum to make purchases at the Horizon Outlet. If they don’t like the experience, they can cancel – and only have to pay the value of the goods they buy.
Once the $14.95 monthly subscription is paid, cardholders receive access to Horizon Services perks and benefits, including:
- My Privacy Protection: Users receive access to unlimited privacy protection when using their card within Horizon’s online portal.
- My Roadside Protection: Members have access to up to three service calls or towing requests per year (up to 15 miles, and not to exceed the operator cost of $50) free of charge.
- Credit Hawk: Cardholders receive 24/7 credit monitoring access through Credit Hawk.
- My Universal RX: Cardholders get unlimited access to up to 40% in discounts at participating local pharmacies
- My Legal Assistance: Cardholders receive one free 30-minute consultation with a specialized legal professional in your area (excluding criminal defense).
- Regular reporting to the major credit bureaus
Monthly Membership Fee
As mentioned, the Merit Platinum Card features a monthly subscription fee of $14.95. This monthly charge equates to a $179.40 annual fee.
The membership fee auto debits monthly and shows on bank statements as Merit Platinum Merchandise Card Services. Cardholders can cancel their Merit account at any time by calling Horizon Member Services at 1-800-251-6144.
Should You Apply for the Merit Platinum Card?
Overall, the Merit Platinum Card is an excellent option for anyone seeking to boost their FICO score or establish credit for the first time. Although it does not function like a traditional credit card, it does provide the credit building platform users need – in addition to a credit line at the Horizon Outlet.
There are no credit checks or employment checks, meaning you will not see a hard inquiry hit your credit report after applying. Remember, even with secured credit cards, there is no guarantee of approval – so if you’re struggling with your credit, the Merit Platinum Card may be a wise first step in the credit building journey.