| Last updated on October 16th, 2023
Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Credit Card
Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Credit Card
- 21.49% to 28.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Regular Purchase APR
- 21.49% to 28.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Balance Transfer APR
- 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate Cash Advance APR
At a Glance
The Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Credit Card is – unsurprisingly – a bold rewards card option for fans of Marriott Bonvoy hotel properties. Not only can you earn points on travel, this card also rewards you for being a loyal Marriot guest. You’ll earn free stays faster when you use this card for everyday purchases, and there’s no limit to the number of points you can accumulate.
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- Limited Time Offer! Earn 60,000 Bonus Points after you spend $2,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening
- Pay no annual fee with the Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Credit Card from Chase®!
- Earn up to 14X total points per $1 spent at over 7,000 hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy® with the Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Card.
- 2X points for every $1 spent on other travel purchases (from airfare to taxis and trains).
- 1X point for every $1 spent on all other purchases.
- Receive 15 Elite Night Credits annually, qualifying you for Silver Elite Status. Restrictions apply.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Earn unlimited Marriott Bonvoy® points and get Free Night Stays faster.
- Regular Purchase APR: 21.49% to 28.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 21.49% to 28.49% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: Up to 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- You already have, or plan to enroll in, a Marriott Bonvoy™ membership to maximize rewards
- You can anticipate spending enough in the first three months as a cardholder to satisfy the threshold needed to earn a sizable bonus points award
- You want a travel rewards card with no annual fees or foreign transaction fees
- You will take advantage of the 15 Elite Night credits to reach or surpass Silver Elite status
Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Credit CardTerms & Conditions
Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Credit Card Review
If you’re looking for a way to unlock more benefits when you stay with Marriott Bonvoy hotels, the Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Credit Card from Chase could be the card for you. With this card, you earn 3 points per dollar spent with this hotel rewards group, along with 2 points for all your other travel expenses and 1 on everyday purchases.
You’re also eligible for a noteworthy introductory bonus when you meet the spending requirement, plus 15 Elite Night credits. The best part? Your points don’t expire as long as you keep your membership active, so you can ensure you’re always getting the most out of your accommodations.
Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Credit Card Rewards
When you register for the Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Credit Card and spend $2,000 on purchases in the first three months, you’ll earn a special sign up bonus of 60,000 points. This is a much easier spending requirement to meet than that of similar rewards cards.
Along with the bonus, you can earn points on individual purchases throughout the year. As with other hotel cards, you earn the most points when you book rooms with the card’s sponsor. However, this rewards program isn’t limited to Marriott-brand properties; Marriott Bonvoy covers a wide variety of hotels, such as the following:
|Marriott Hotels & Resorts
|Courtyard by Marriott
|Homes & Villas by Marriott
For every $1 spent at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels, you’ll earn 3x points. Earn 2 points per dollar spent when you spend on other travel purchases like airfaire, taxis and trains, and 1 point for every dollar on all other purchases with your Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Credit Card.
Award Night Stays
As long as you keep your membership account active, you don’t have to worry about your points expiring. To maintain your account, every 24 months you’ll need to either use your Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Credit Card to make a purchase, book a stay at an eligible hotel or redeem some of your points.
You can cash in your rewards for a free night’s stay at the Marriott Bonvoy hotel of your choice, though the amount of points you need will vary depending on the hotel, season, and redemption option you choose. For example, certain hotels during off peak times require as few as 5,000 points per night on standard rate rooms. As a bonus, when you book 4 nights with points you get the 5th night free.
You can also opt for PointsSaver stays, which are hotels that currently offer discounted rates and therefore require fewer points to book. If you don’t want to wait to use your points or use them all at once, you can also use the Cash + Points option to get a discount and pay the rest yourself.
Credit Card Comparison
Marriott Bonvoy Bold®
Citi Custom Cash℠ Card
Sam’s Club® Mastercard®
|Earn 3 points for every $1 spent at hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy®, 2 points on trae, and 1 o other purchases.
|Earn 5% cash back on purchases in your top eligible spend category each billing cycle, up to the first $500 spent, 1% cash back thereafter. Also, earn unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases.
|Earn 5% cash back on gas anywhere Mastercard is accepted (on first $6,000 per year, then 1%), 3% on Sam's Club purchases for Plus members (Club members earn 1% cash back) 3% back on dining, and 1% on everything else.
|No annual fee
|No annual fee
|No annual fee
Other Ways to Redeem
While redeeming for free nights usually provides the most value, it’s not your only option. In fact, for a co-branded hotel card, the Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Credit Card offers a wide variety of redemption opportunities.
For instance, you can also transfer your points to partnered airline loyalty programs, though this is generally at a 3:1 ratio. If you choose this option, watch out for transfer bonus promotions to get the best deal.
Marriot Bonvoy offers the unique opportunity to gift or donate your points as well. This means you can pass your points onto a family member or friend’s account, or submit a donation to participating nonprofits. Other ways to spend your points include:
- Shopping in the Marriott online store for home goods, electronics and other items
- Upgrading your hotel stay with spa visits, room service and access to other amenities
- Booking experiences with Marriott Moments, for things like tours, tickets to events, and fine dining
- Gift cards with major retailers
Overall, your best option for getting the most value will almost always be booking free or discounted nights. However, it doesn’t hurt to keep an eye out for promotions or give back to your favorite charitable organizations.
Reach Marriott Bonvoy Silver Elite Status
If you already have a Marriot Bonvoy membership, this card can take your current points and perks to a whole new level – the Silver Elite level in particular. Typically, you need to book at least 10 nights a year in order to reach and maintain Silver Elite status. With the Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Credit Card, you receive 15 Elite Night credits each year to help you jump to that tier with ease.
These credits are put toward building your membership status, not toward free hotel stays, as the name might imply. This means if you already have Silver Elite Status, this bonus could boost you up to the next tier. Silver Elite status comes with a wealth of great benefits, including but not limited to:
- Additional point earnings when you book a room
- Exclusive room rates
- Late priority checkout when available
- An exclusive customer service line
- Complimentary Wi-Fi
To receive these credits, you need to have or create a membership account and link it to your credit card. You’ll get your first 15 credits within 60 days of opening the account. Then, an additional 15 credits will be added to your account each year by Mar. 1. It’s important to note each member is only eligible for this bonus once per year, so if you have other cards that offer this benefit, you won’t receive double credits.
Marriott Bonvoy Credit Card Comparison
Not sure which Bonvoy credit card is right for you? Here are how Marriott’s personal credit cards from Chase and American Express stack up:
Marriott Bonvoy Bold®
Marriott Bonvoy Boundless®
Marriott Bonvoy Bevy™
Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant®
|Earn 3X points at hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy®, 2X points on eligible travel purchases and 1X points on all other purchases
|Earn 6X points at hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy®, 3X points on gas, groceries, and dining (up to $6,000/year), and 2X points on all other purchases
|Earn 6X at hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy, 4X at restaurants worldwide and U.S. supermarkets (up to $15,000 in combined purchases per calendar year, then 2X points), and 2X points on all other eligible purchases
|Earn 6X points at hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy®, 3X points on U.S. dining and flights booked with airlines, and 2X points on all other purchases
Extra Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Credit Card Benefits
This card also gives you access to the great perks available through many other cards from Visa. Benefits like trip and baggage delay reimbursement can help sooth common travel emergencies. Overall, the coverage includes:
- Up to $3,000 per person in reimbursement for lost luggage
- Up to $500 per claim in purchase protection for stolen or damaged items
- $100 a day for essentials when your bag is delayed up to 5 days
- Up to $500 per ticket in reimbursement for trip delays over 12 hours
Keep in mind that there are restrictions to this coverage. For instance, purchase protection only lasts up to 120 days from the purchase date, and each account can reimburse a maximum of $50,000.
On a brighter note, your Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Credit Card includes 24-hour access to the Visa Signature® Concierge. This service can help you book reservations to top restaurants and events. A newer feature to include in your evaluation of this card is contactless pay, which allows you to pay without swiping or inserting the chip.
FAQs About the Marriott Bonvoy
Here are some of the most commonly asked questions regarding the Marriott Bonvoy loyalty program, along with the answers:
- Marriott is the common name not only for a chain within the Marriott portfolio, but also for the chain as a whole. Marriott Bonvoy, on the other hand, refers to the chain’s loyalty program.
- Bonvoy points expire after 24 months without qualifying activity.
- You can contact Marriott customer service representatives at 1-800-535-4028.
Should You Apply for the Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Credit Card?
If your go-to reservation is usually one of Marriott Bonvoy’s 7,000 properties, it’s hard to see a downside to this card. It can help you boost any membership points and benefits you currently have to give you a taste of VIP treatment.
If you’re aiming for Lifetime Silver Elite status, all you need to do remain an Elite Silver member– in other words, keep your Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Credit Card active – for at least 5 years and stay a minimum of 250 nights. This makes locking in all of the Silver Elite rewards basically effortless.
The APRs and other fees are pretty average for a rewards card, so as long as you pay your statements on time there shouldn’t be any unwanted surprises. On top of that, no foreign or annual fees means that when you’re abroad you’ll easily earn points while saving money.
However, it may be worth it to compare the Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Credit Card with similar options available in this rewards program if you’re a more avid traveler. For example, the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ Card boosts your loyalty rewards to a whopping 6 points per dollar, and 2 points for all other purchases.
As long as you cash in on the 1 free night a year, this card basically pays the annual fee itself. In the end, which card is right for you will depend on just how often you’ll check into your favorite Marriott Bonvoy spots.
Browse Other Credit Card Offers:
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards.com's reviews, articles, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author(s). These opinions do not reflect those of any card issuer or financial institution, and editorial content on our site has not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless noted otherwise. Further, BestCards.com lists credit card offers that are frequently updated with information believed to be accurate to the best of our team's knowledge. However, please review the information provided directly by the credit card issuer or related financial institution for full details.