Eagle Scout Visa Rewards Credit Card
Earn Up to 3% Cash Back
- Regular Purchase APR 15.24% to 25.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 15.24% to 25.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 27.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
- Credit Needed Excellent , Good
- Intro Purchase APR 1.99% for 6 months from account opening date
- Processing Network Visa
- Support the National Eagle Scouts of America with every purchase
- No annual fee
- Earn unlimited cash back
- Earn 3% cash back at coffee shops and fast food restaurants, and with ridesharing services
- Earn 2% cash back on gas and dining (restaurants)
- Earn 1% cash back on all other eligible purchases
- Intro Purchase APR: 1.99% for 6 months from account opening date
- Regular Purchase APR: 15.24% to 25.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 1.99% for 6 months from account opening date
- Balance Transfer APR: 15.24% to 25.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each balance transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 27.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: 27.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Foreign Transaction Fee: Up to 2% of the transaction amount in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Complimentary EZ Mini Crunchies (60g) when you spend S$120 - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- 10% off museum entry - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Save up to 55% on London theater tickets - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Save an extra 10% on Tower of London access tickets - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Save 5% with Alamo® at participating locations - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Save 5% with Enterprise Rent-A-Car® at participating locations - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Save an extra 5% on The Paris Explorer Pass - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Save an extra 5% on The London Explorer Pass - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Save an extra 5% when you purchase your Go Barcelona Pass - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- Save an extra 5% when you purchase your Go Bangkok Pass - Offer Expires on December 31, 2020 - See Details
- View All Deals -
At a Glance:
The Eagle Scout Visa® Rewards Credit Card offers unlimited cash back rewards and savings for anyone who wishes to show their support for the National Eagle Scouts of America (NESA). Cardholders will see a portion of each purchase donated to the NESA, along with flexible reward redemption options and the opportunity to earn cash back from every eligible purchase.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Want to support the National Eagle Scouts of America
- Would like to earn unlimited cash back from every purchase
- Would like the flexibility to redeem their cash back for a variety of great rewards
- Regularly use rideshare services, frequent coffee shops, and/or enjoy fast food often
- Want a rewards credit card that doesn’t charge an annual fee
Eagle Scout Visa® Rewards Credit Card Review
For those who have achieved Scouting’s highest rank, the Eagle Scout Visa® Rewards Credit Card is a great way to show off that Scouting spirit while earning cash back rewards from everyday purchases.
A Scout is Always Prepared… For Cash Back Rewards
The Eagle Scout Visa® Rewards Credit Card is designed to showcase the pride Eagle Scouts feel for their accomplishments, and for those who support them. Like a Scout, the card is trustworthy, loyal and helpful – so helpful that is rewards cardholders with cash back from every purchase they make. There is no cap to the amount of cash back that can be earned, and cardholders earn cash back at several different rates. These rates are based on the spending categories in which purchases are made; here’s how they break down:
3% Cash Back on Coffee, Fast Food, and Rideshares: Each time a cardholder swipes on fast food, coffee, and rideshares they earn 3% cash back. Those who add their Eagle Scout Visa to their mobile wallet can easily maximize their rewards each time they use a rideshare service, too. This could also be a “life hack” of sorts for who enjoy Starbucks and frequently pay with their Starbucks app.
2% Cash Back on Gas and Restaurants: 2% cash back awaits for purchases at the gas pump, and for restaurant purchases. If you regularly spend money on gas for your daily commute, or enjoy dining out often, this perk is an incentive to use your Eagle Scout Visa to make those purchases. After all, a homecooked meal is great – but earning 2% back certainly is appetizing when you’re enjoying dinner at a nice restaurant at the end of a long workday.
1% Cash Back on Every Other Purchase: Every eligible purchase made with the Eagle Scout Visa Credit Card earns 1% cash back. Cardholders who use their card for everyday purchases will earn cash back from a purchase as large as a new couch or as small as a pack of gum. Most transactions are eligible for cash back; however, cash advances, balance transfers, convenience checks, money orders, and gambling charges do not qualify for rewards.
Support the NESA with the Eagle Scout Visa® Rewards Credit Card
Cardholders also help to support the National Eagle Scouts of America each time they swipe, since Commerce Bank donates a portion of proceeds from each purchase to NESA. This is perfect for the Eagle Scout who wants to give back to the organization that helped mold them into the person they are today. For former Eagle Scouts (or Boy Scouts), or family of Eagle Scouts, this is a particularly rewarding way to endorse the NESA program.
How to Redeem Rewards from the Eagle Scout Visa® Rewards Credit Card
Rewards from the Eagle Scout Visa are earned as a cash-back percentage of the net total of each purchase. Each percentage point converts to 1 reward point, which can then be redeemed for a variety of great rewards. This means that a purchase at a coffee shop, fast food joint or with Uber would earn the equivalent of 3 points. Purchases at the pump or other restaurants would earn the equivalent of 2 points, and all other purchases would earn 1 reward point.
Cardholders can redeem their points for their choice of rewards, including:
- Cash back, in the form of a statement credit. In order to redeem cash-back rewards, a cardholder must have a minimum of 2,500 points.
- Gift Cards to hundreds of online retailers
- Merchandise from your favorite brands
- Airline ticket credits from participating airlines
Cardholders have three years from the calendar quarter in which rewards are earned to redeem before they expire. While this means that redeeming rewards for a small cash back credit or a smaller merchandise item is easy, those who wish to make a large redemption must remember that there is an expiration date, and plan accordingly.
Competitive Interest Rates and Fees
The Eagle Scout Visa® Credit Card from Commerce Bank does not charge an annual fee, so the savings from cash back (and other rewards) are not offset by any extra charges. An average, competitive interest rate also helps cardholders save; the APR for purchases and balance transfers for this card sits just below the national average interest rate for cardholders with good credit.
The Eagle Scout Visa also offers a special introductory APR period. Cardholders can take advantage of a 1.99% APR, for both purchases and balance transfers, during the first six months their account is open. This introductory APR will appeal to anyone who is planning to use their card right away for a large purchase, like a television – but it will particularly stand out to anyone who holds debt on another credit card and wishes to pay it down while saving money. With proper planning, cardholders can still save money by transferring their balance to a card with a low APR even if that low APR only lasts for six months.
Although this interest rate of 1.99% is not quite as appealing as an APR of 0%, it still presents the opportunity for significant savings when it’s compared to the standard interest rates that apply to the existing balance on another card. Therefore, an introductory APR of 1,99% makes the most sense for cardholders who have a smaller balance to pay down, since a larger balance would incur higher interest charges.
Manage your Eagle Scout Visa® Rewards Card:
Logging into your online credit card account is easy, convenient, and fast. Cardholders who wish to monitor their spending can enjoy a free online portal that provides access to the following perks and utilities:
- Receive alerts about suspicious card activity
- Cash Back Access – view and redeem your reward points for cash bacnk and more
- Set up autopay – never miss a payment by creating recurring payments
- Sign up for E-Statements
- Add an authorized user
- Special Connections™ – Use your credit card to access cash from your other accounts at the ATM, or in store.
Should You Apply for the Eagle Scout Visa® Rewards Credit Card from Commerce Bank?
For Eagle Scouts and individuals who want to contribute to the National Eagle Scouts of America with each purchase they make, the Eagle Scout Visa® Rewards Card is a great fit. It offers cash back rewards for everyday spending and gives back to the community at the same time. It also gives cardholders who plan ahead the opportunity for satisfactory savings. It can be a lucrative credit card offer for anyone who uses it every day. Eagle Scouts should always be prepared, however – and that means doing their due diligence to find the best card for their financial needs.
While the Eagle Scout Visa is certainly a worthy option, it’s virtually identical to its sister card, the Boy Scouts of America Visa® Credit Card. In fact, the only difference between the two is that the Boy Scouts Visa donates money to BSA, while the Eagle Scout Visa donates to NESA.
If you’re more interested in cash back rewards and less interested in a contribution to either of these groups, you might consider looking at other types of cash back credit cards. When considering a different card, take a look at how it’s set up. Things like the length of an introductory APR period – as well as the amount of the introductory APR – can play a big role in whether a card is a good fit for you.
Take the introductory APR of the Eagle Scout Visa, which weighs in at 1.99%. While this will help cardholders save money during the first six billing cycles, many credit cards offer a longer (or at the least, comparable) introductory APR period which has a lower APR. Most cards with an intro APR charge 0% for the duration of that introductory period. It’s not a significant difference, but it certainly adds up over time – and every penny counts.
If you use the Eagle Scout Visa to carry a balance of $1,000 for all six months of the introductory APR, you’d pay $20 each billing cycle. This adds up to $120 in interest charges even before the standard APR is applied to the remaining balance. A card that charges an intro APR of 0% like the Cash Magnet® Card from American Express would incur $0 in interest charges during the same time frame. The Cash Magnet Card also features an introductory period that lasts for a whopping 15 months – more than double that of the Eagle Scout Visa. The longer the intro APR period lasts, the more opportunity there is for savings, so keep this in mind when shopping for a new credit card.
Prospective cardholders should also weigh the pros and cons of the standard APR – there are certainly options that offer similar benefits, while bumping up savings thanks to a low APR. Another factor to consider is the signup bonus, or lack thereof.
The Eagle Scout Visa Rewards Credit Card will appeal most to Eagle Scouts and their family members who wish to support the organization. For those who do not fall into that group, there are numerous cash back credit cards to choose from.