Last updated on May 19th, 2023
Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card
Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card
- 20.74% to 29.74% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Regular Purchase APR
- 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate Cash Advance APR
At a Glance
Companies with employees that frequently fly Delta for business may want to consider the excellent benefits available to them when using the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card.
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- Welcome Offer: Earn 60,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months of Card Membership
- Save 15% On Award Travel With TakeOff 15. Eligible Card Members now enjoy exclusive savings on Delta flights. Not applicable to partner-operated flights or to taxes and fees
- You can receive a domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Take a friend or family member when you fly Delta. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details
- Earn more miles on big purchases with 1.5 miles per dollar on single eligible purchases of $5,000 or more (that's an extra half mile per dollar), up to 50,000 additional miles per year. If your purchase qualifies for a category that has a higher mileage accelerator, only the higher accelerator will apply (ex. you would earn 3X miles on purchases made directly with Delta and hotels instead of 1.5X)
- Delta Sky Club® Access - Get access to Delta Sky Club(R) at a rate of $50 per person per visit for you and up to two guests while flying together on Delta
- With Status Boost®, earn 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to 2x per year getting you closer to Medallion Status
- Terms and limitations apply
- Regular Purchase APR: 20.74% to 29.74% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR: 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Penalty APR: 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee: $250
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $39
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: $39
- You fly Delta often for work
- You use your credit card to make large purchases
- You want convenient travel perks including in-flight purchase discounts, a free first checked bag, priority boarding, and more
- You don’t want to pay any foreign transaction fees
Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express CardTerms & Conditions ,
Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card Review
With the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card in employee wallets, companies can save money and make traveling easier every day. Amex’s premium airline business card provides exceptional travel perks, a generous welcome offer, and more – for a $250 annual fee.
New business card accounts enjoy a generous welcome offer of 60,000 Bonus SkyMiles after spending $3,000 in purchases on the new card within the first three months of membership. This welcome offer is an excellent value and very easy to reach for companies that plan to issue multiple employee cards. The offer’s value is around $600, a handy bonus should your company have any upcoming travel that needs financing.
How to Earn SkyMiles
The Delta SkyMiles® Gold Business American Express Card features a huge 5X miles per dollar on every eligible purchase with Delta. The card also offers miles on the types of purchases many businesses spend on frequently. The card earns 2X miles on the following business-centric categories:
- Per every eligible dollar spent on purchases made directly with Delta
- Eligible US purchases, including at restaurants, shipping providers, and on advertising purchases in select media
All other purchases earn 1X miles, with no cap on the total miles a company receives. Best of all, SkyMiles never expires so companies can accumulate an impressive haul on advertising and shipping costs.
Earn More On Large Purchases
Businesses that plan to spend heavily on their Platinum SkyMiles business card can enjoy even more SkyMiles on large purchases. Card members earn 1.5X miles on large purchases of $5,000 or more. This bonus only applies to the first 50,000 Bonus Miles an account earns in this category each year.
How to Redeem Miles
Miles apply to flights, seat upgrades, car rentals, merchandise, gift cards, and much more with Delta. Miles are also redeemable not only on Delta but also on 30 additional airline partners through the SkyTeam Alliance – here’s the full list of alliance partner carriers:
|Aeromexico||China Airlines||Garuda Indonesia||Air France||Saudia|
|Air Europa||China Eastern Airlines||Kenya Airlines||China Southern Airlines||TAROM|
|Aeroflot||Czech Airlines||LATAM||Korean Air||Vietnam Airlines|
|Aerolineas Argentinas||Delta Air Lines||KLM Royal Dutch Airlines||Middle East Airlines||XiamenAir|
|Air Europa||ITA Airways||Virgin Atlantic||Shanghai Airlines||JinAir|
Other ways businesses can redeem miles include seat and cabin upgrades through Delta, Delta gift cards, Delta Vacations or Experiences, and incidental fees when flying with Delta. Delta miles are redeemable for gift cards or purchases made through the Delta SkyMiles Shopping portal.
Related Article: The Ultimate Guide to Delta Air Lines SkyMiles
Delta SkyMiles Business Card Comparison
The Amex Delta Air Lines credit card portfolio is robust, with multiple options for both business and personal use. Not sure which SkyMiles credit card is right for you? Here is a head-to-head comparison of the Delta business credit cards from American Express:
SkyMiles® Gold Business
SkyMiles® Platinum Business
SkyMiles® Reserve Business
|Annual fee||$99 annual fee ($0 first year)||$250||$550|
|Rewards||2X Miles on purchases made directly with Delta and at restaurants, shipping providers, and on advertising purchases in select media; 1X Miles on all other purchases.||3X Miles on purchases made directly with Delta and hotels; 1.5X Miles on purchases of $5,000+ up to $50,000/yr.; 1X Miles on all other purchases.||3X Miles on purchases made directly with Delta and hotels; 1X Miles on all other purchases.|
|Free bags||1st bag free||1st bag free||1st bag free for you and up to 3 guests|
|Priority boarding||–||Main Cabin 1 priority boarding||Main Cabin 1 priority boarding|
|Lounge access||–||Sky Club access for $50 per person||Sky Club, Centurion Lounge complimentary|
|Other features||$100 Delta credit after spending $10,000/yr.||Annual companion certificate||Annual companion certificate; priority and complimentary upgrades|
Beyond the ability to quickly rack up SkyMiles, cardholders can also take advantage of an impressive array of members-only benefits. These benefits include one complimentary domestic main cabin round-trip certificate each year. This reward is available upon renewal of the card each year. Cardholders also get their first checked bag free when flying with Delta. Other benefits of the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card include main cabin priority boarding on all flights with either Delta or one of its 30 partner airlines, access to the Delta Sky Club for the cardholder and up to two guests at a reduced rate, 20% in in-flight savings, and a statement credit for TSA Precheck and Global Entry application fees. The card also boasts no foreign transaction fee, making it a decent option for companies that send their employees abroad on business.
TakeOff 15 is a new perk from Delta and American Express. The feature lets eligible cardholders get 15% off when using miles to book Award Travel on Delta flights through Delta.com and the Fly Delta app. Please note that this discount does not apply to partner-operated flights or taxes and fees.
Expense Management Tools
Any business credit card worth its salt comes with access to some expense management tools – and the Platinum version of the SkyMiles Business Card is no different. Companies have access to several impressive tools and services, including:
|Complimentary employee cards||Get more out of your Business Card with Employee Cards. Earn miles‡ and stay on top of how much employees are spending.|
|QuickBooks® integration||Save time with auto-expense categorization in QuickBooks- Once enrolled, your Business Card transactions are automatically tagged with your QuickBooks categories.|
|Account manager||Free up time. Assign a trusted team member to oversee your American Express account. Account Managers can handle tasks like making payments, reviewing transactions, and adding Employee Cards, so you’re free to focus on other priorities.|
|Account alerts||Set Account Alerts to help you avoid late payments, spot irregular spending, and monitor Employee Card use.|
|Vendor Pay by Bill.com||You can make the most out of paying your business bills. Improve your cash flow and take advantage of Card benefits when you use your Card to pay bills with Vendor Pay by Bill.com. Take advantage of Vendor Pay by Bill.com by enrolling your Card. With the basic plan, there is no monthly fee for the first user and no fee for a second user for six months. After six months, the second user will have a fee of $15 per month. Additional fees may apply based on plan type and number of users.|
|Year-end summary||After the end of the year, see a complete summary that categorizes your spending by month and purchase type, and helps you track your business expenses down to the last detail.|
|‡ Terms apply|
Other Card Features
OtherDelta SkyMiles Business Platinum SkyMiles Amex features include EMV chip and pin technology, mobile wallet access with Samsung Pay, Google Pay, and Apple Pay, and access to Amex Offers.
American Express Ratings
How is Amex as a credit card issuer? Here is a selection of ratings for American Express from experts and the general public:
|BestCards||Better Business Bureau||TrustPilot|
Should You Apply for the Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card?
The Delta SkyMiles® Platinum Business American Express Card has a $250 annual fee. While this is the same as the personal version of the card, it is more economical for businesses as they’ll get much more use from the product.
The benefit of no foreign transaction fees is a great perk that will certainly save money. However, the global acceptance of Amex still lags behind Visa and Mastercard. While Amex touts that the card is accepted at over 99% of US retailers, this is of little solace for those who try to use it abroad and struggle to find willing enchants. Overall, however, the card offers companies an excellent amount of miles and is a robust option for those who fly often and want to reap the rewards of those expensive trips.