| Last updated on September 20th, 2023
CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard®
CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard®
- 20.99% - 29.99% (Variable) Regular Purchase APR
- 29.99% (Variable) Cash Advance APR
At a Glance
The CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select® World Mastercard is a business travel card that hits many of the right notes. The card earns double miles on purchases with American Airlines, as well as with select merchants, which includes telecommunication companies, cable or satellite providers, car rental companies, or gas stations. Every other dollar spent on purchases earns a single mile. The card also features a generous sign-up bonus after meeting minimum spending requirements, a first checked bag for t
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- Designed for businesses
- Earn 65,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after spending $4,000 in purchases within the first 4 months of account opening.
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries to reduce travel costs and boost your bottom line.
- 25% savings on American Airlines inflight Wi-Fi when you use your card
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles per $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases, and on purchases at telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers, car rental merchants and at gas stations
- Earn 1 AAdvantage® mile per $1 spent on other purchases
- Earn 1 Loyalty Point for every 1 eligible mile earned from purchases
- No Foreign Transaction Fees
- Regular Purchase APR: 20.99% - 29.99% (Variable)
- Cash Advance APR: 29.99% (Variable)
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each transaction, whichever is higher
- Penalty APR: Up to 29.99% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee: $0 for the first 12 months. After that, $99
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: $41
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: $41
- You travel often for business and prefer to fly with American Airlines
- You issue employee cards or add authorized users to their accounts
- You're budget-conscious when sending employees on work trips
CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard Review
The CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select® World Mastercard is offered with the traveling business owner in mind. Whether you frequently fly to oversee aspects of your company abroad or conduct your affairs domestically and simply like to explore the globe on your off time, this card can allow you to thrive regardless of your lifestyle.
Impressive Signup Bonus and Lucrative Bonus Categories
The card’s signup bonus is particularly generous, giving you a huge tally of bonus miles when meet minimum spending requirements after your account opening. If you’re covering recurring costs for your business, or planning on it, reaching this goal should be quite manageable. During, and after, the hunt for the signup bonus, you’ll earn two AAdvantage miles on eligible American Airlines purchases, as well as on select business expense categories, including telecommunications merchants, gas stations, cable and satellite providers, and car rental agencies. All other purchases will net you one mile per $1 spent.
How to Redeem Miles
The easiest way to redeem miles with AAdvantage is through flights with American. One-way reward flights on American Airlines usually start from about 7,500 miles for trips that begin and end in the continental U.S. or Canada, with flights to Europe starting from about 25,000 miles.
Other options for miles redemptions include:
- Hotel bookings through the AAdvantage portal
- Car rentals at over 500 destinations around the world
- Seat and status upgrades with American Airlines or their subsidiaries, including American Eagle
- Vacations booked through the AAdvantage travel portal
- Merchandise or gift cards
- Gifts for friends and family
If you can’t find an award option that suits you through American Airlines, why not apply those miles toward flights with other Oneworld alliance carriers? AAdvantage miles transfer to the following codeshare partners:
|Royal Air Maroc
|Air Tahiti Nui
|China Southern Airlines
Related Article: The Ultimate Guide to the AAdvantage Program
AAdvantage Business Card Comparison
Not sure which AAdvanatge business credit card is right for your company? Here’s how the two cards stack up:
AAdvantage® Aviator® Business
AAdvantage® Platinum Select®
|$99 ($0 for 1st year)
|5% AAdvantage® mileage bonus, 25% inflight savings, companion certificate, preferred boarding
|25% inflight savings, companion certificate (after spending $30,000), preferred boarding, 25% inflight Wi-Fi savings
|Earn 2X miles for every dollar spent with American Airlines, eligible telecom, office supply, and car rental merchants, and 1X on all other purchases
|Earn 2X miles for every dollar spent with American Airlines, eligible telecommunications merchants, cable and satellite providers, car rental merchants and at gas stations, and 1X on all other purchases
CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select Small Business Travel Benefits
As an airline credit card, the CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard saves you money with a complimentary first checked bag on domestic flights and a 25% discount when your purchase in-flight Wi-Fi connectivity. You’ll also get preferred boarding free of charge, allowing you to get to your seat faster and all-but-guaranteed a spot in the coveted overhead compartment for your carry-on bag.
Another notable perk is a companion certificate that’s made available to you after you spend at least $30,000 in a year and renew your card for another year. The certificate is valid for a domestic main cabin itinerary, and you’ll still have to pay for fees and taxes, but it can nevertheless offer considerable savings depending on the cost of the flight.
Business and Account Tools
As a business credit card, CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select® World Mastercard offers digital tools to make your life easier. You can view all your account details and billing statements online, thereby streamlining the reconciling process for your accounting. You also have 24/7 access to a personal business assistant who can arrange travel and dining – particularly useful if you need to schedule a meeting with clients. In addition, you can issue additional cards to your employees, who will earn you AAdvantage® miles as they make purchases.
Other Things to Consider
The CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select® World Mastercard charges a $99 annual fee, though it’s waived for your first cardmember year. And since it’s a travel card, you can use it around the world with peace of mind, as there are no foreign transaction fees. Other notable benefits are standard for a credit card of its type, such as travel and car rental insurance, emergency assistance and purchase warranty, and even the convenience of adding the card to your digital wallet via Apple Pay.
FAQs About the Citibank AAdvantage Credit Cards
Here are some of the most commonly asked questions regarding the AAdvantage lineup of credit cards from Citi, along with the answers:
- Yes. AAdvantage frequent flyer miles expire after 18 months of inactivity on the cardholder’s account. Fortunately keeping an account active is as easy as making a purchase with an AAdvantage co-brand credit card from Citi.
- You can book award travel on many partner airlines on aa.com and on the American app. Partner airline flights are included in award travel search results, and you can filter results for your preferred partner airlines on the Choose flights page.
- No. American Airlines’ loyalty program – AAdvantage – is free to join. Members may purchase Admirals Club membership – providing lounge access on American flights – from $600 per year.
Should You Apply for the CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard?
Overall, the CitiBusiness AAdvantage Platinum Select World Mastercard performs admirably as both an airline rewards card and a business credit card. One-way domestic tickets with American Airlines start as low as 7,500 miles, meaning with just $4,000 in spending in the first four months is an easily achievable goal for most businesses – especially when additional authorized users are added to the account.
Beyond the excellent introductory bonus offer, the card earns a reliable number of miles with every purchase and offers the prospects of an American Airlines Companion Certificate after spending requirements are met in the calendar year. While $30,000 may seem like a steep spending requirement, if your company can easily reach the initial $4,000 spending bonus, the $30,000 shouldn’t be too much trouble either.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards.com's reviews, articles, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author(s). These opinions do not reflect those of any card issuer or financial institution, and editorial content on our site has not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless noted otherwise. Further, BestCards.com lists credit card offers that are frequently updated with information believed to be accurate to the best of our team's knowledge. However, please review the information provided directly by the credit card issuer or related financial institution for full details.