Last updated on September 11th, 2023
Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
American Savings Bank Platinum Edition Visa Card
American Savings Bank Platinum Edition Visa Card
- 19.24% to 29.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Regular Purchase APR
- 19.24% to 29.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Balance Transfer APR
- 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate Cash Advance APR
- 0% for 15 months from account opening date Intro Purchase APR
At a Glance
The American Savings Bank Platinum Edition Visa is a balance transfer credit card that offers a generous introductory APR offer on balance transfers, a competitive APR after that, and an easy-to-achieve statement credit bonus.
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- No annual fee
- 0% introductory APR on balance transfers for 15 months
- Low APR
- Intro Purchase APR: 0% for 15 months from account opening date
- Regular Purchase APR: 19.24% to 29.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for 15 months from account opening date
- Balance Transfer APR: 19.24% to 29.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 29.99% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Foreign Transaction Fee: Up to 3% of the transaction amount in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $41
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $41
- You do't want to pay an annual fee
- You live in Hawaii
- You already bank with American Savings Bank
- You have an existing credit card balance to pay off
American Savings Bank Platinum Edition® Visa Card Review
The American Savings Bank Platinum Edition® Visa is a no annual fee, balance transfer credit card that features a decent APR, generous introductory bonuses, and more.
15 Months, 0% Intro APR
The most impressive feature with the American Savings Bank Platinum Edition Visa is the excellent 15 months of 0% introductory APR on balance transfers. The more-than one year of no interest on balance transfers makes the card a perfect option for Hawaii residents that already have credit card debt and want to pay that balance down overtime at a lower rate.
A Competitive APR After That
Once the 15 months expire, the interest rate on both purchases and balance transfers are highly competitive. Starting at around 14% for those with excellent credit scores, that rate is over two percentage points lower than the national average for a balance transfer credit card.
$25 Statement Credit
The American Savings Bank Platinum Edition® Visa also comes with another introductory offer. New cardholders get a $25 statement credit after purchasing within their first three months after opening an account.
While a $25 statement credit won’t match up with a bonus points offer from card like The Platinum Card® from American Express or the Chase Sapphire Reserve, it is an exceptional value given that it requires just one purchase of any value.
Other Card Features
All American Savings Bank credit cards come with the features of Visa Traditional credit cards. These protections and perks include:
- Visa Zero Fraud Liability
- Roadside Dispatch, which offers 24-hour access to roadside assistance like tire changing, jump-starting, or towing.
- Complimentary access to your FICO credit score each month
- Online account management
- Visa Global Services
Should You Apply for the American Savings Bank Platinum Edition® Visa Card?
Low rate credit cards like the American Savings Bank Platinum Edition® Visa are a common feature of most banks. These credit cards provide a competitive interest rate, an introductory APR, and little else.
That’s not to say these cards aren’t exciting – and valuable – additions to a person’s wallet. The American Savings Bank Platinum Edition® Visa is a solid option for Hawaiians seeking a quality, low rate every day, plus the ability to repay existing credit card debt with no interest for over a year.
The $25 statement credit is another nice perk. Sure, $25 isn’t a make-or-break bonus, but it is a nice, little perk that ensures the card has a place in your wallet (and not just as a debt reduction tool). Other low APR, 0% APR, and cards (that also offer credit line increases) include offers from major banks, such as the Chase Slate Edge.