Last updated on September 11th, 2023
Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
American Savings Bank Maximum Rewards Visa Card
American Savings Bank Maximum Rewards Visa Card
- 18.24% to 28.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Regular Purchase APR
- 18.24% to 28.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate Balance Transfer APR
- 25.24% variable based on the Prime Rate Cash Advance APR
- 0% for 6 months from account opening date Intro Purchase APR
- Best Benefits
- Rates & Fees
- Why Should You Apply?
- No annual fee
- Unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase
- 0% Intro APR for the first 6 months on purchases and balance transfers
- Rewards expire after 5 years
- Intro Purchase APR: 0% for 6 months from account opening date
- Regular Purchase APR: 18.24% to 28.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Intro Balance Transfer APR: 0% for 6 months from account opening date
- Balance Transfer APR: 18.24% to 28.24% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer Transaction Fee: Either $10 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater
- Cash Advance APR: 25.24% variable based on the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: Either $15 or 5% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 3% of the transaction amount in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $40
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $35
At a Glance
The American Savings Bank Maximum Rewards Visa Card offers unlimited 1.5% cash back, 0% intro APR for six months, and more – all for no annual fee. The card is issued by American Savings Bank, a Hawaii-based lender and financial institution.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Don’t want to pay an annual fee
- Already bank with American Savings Bank
- Want an everyday credit card that earns solid rewards
- Live in Hawaii
American Savings Bank Maximum Rewards Visa Card Review
The American Savings Bank Maximum Rewards Visa Card is a no annual fee cash back rewards card that provides excellent value for money.
Earn Unlimited Cash Back Rewards
The card is a cash back credit card that offers an excellent rewards rate of 1.5% cash back on all purchases. Even better, that cash back earning rate is unlimited, meaning there are no caps on the total amount of rewards a cardholder can earn.
Earning 1.5% cash back isn’t unprecedented for a rewards card. In fact, there are plenty of cards that offer a similar earning rate, including the Chase Freedom Unlimited, Discover It Miles, and American Express Cash Magnet.
That said, 1.5% cash back is an excellent earning rate for an everyday credit card with no annual fee. It is an excellent way for current American Savings Bank customers to help offset costs – mainly as rewards apply towards statement credits to help lower monthly payments.
Other redemption options include:
- Travel purchases
- Gift cards
Rewards from American Savings Bank expire after five years.
0% Introductory APR
The American Savings Bank Maximum Rewards Visa also provides an introductory interest-free period of six months on balance transfers and purchases. While half a year of 0% intro APR is less than what comes from the Platinum Edition Visa from American Savings Bank, that card doesn’t provide cash back rewards on every purchase.
However, keep in mind that American Savings charges a 5% balance transfer fee on any balance moved to the Maximum Rewards Visa (with a minimum fee of $10).
Competitive APR After That
Once the six months expire, the interest rate on both purchases and balance transfers are competitive – but not exceptional. The rate begins around 18% for those with excellent credit scores, over two percentage points higher than the national average for a cash back rewards credit card. Still, that’s not a lousy rate – it just isn’t a game-changer.
Other Card Features
All American Savings Bank credit cards come with the features of Visa Traditional credit cards. These protections and perks include:
- Visa Zero Fraud Liability
- Roadside Dispatch, which offers 24-hour access to roadside assistance like tire changing, jump-starting, or towing.
- Complimentary access to your FICO credit score each month
- Online account management
- Visa Global Services
Should You Apply for the American Savings Bank Maximum Rewards Visa Card?
Overall, the American Savings Bank Maximum Rewards Visa Card is a robust cash back card that hits many of the right notes.
The 1.5% cash back and decent APR are competitive in a crowded marketplace, make the card the perfect companion to other rewards cards in your wallet. For Hawaii residents or current American Savings Bank customers, the card provides plenty of value, making it well worth consideration.