Advertiser Disclosure – BestCards is an independent, Florida-based credit card comparison platform. Many of the card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which BestCards receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). BestCards does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Editorial Disclosure – The opinions expressed on BestCards’ reviews, blogs, and all other content on or relating to the website are solely those of the content’s author. They are not reflective of any card issuer or financial institution and have not been reviewed or approved by these entities unless otherwise noted. Further, BestCards lists credit card offers that are updated daily with information believed to be accurate to the best of our knowledge.
Last updated on March 4th, 2021
America First Credit Union Visa Signature Cash Back Credit Card
Earn Up to 1.5% Cash Back
- Regular Purchase APR 9.49% to 18% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR 9.49% to 18% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR 9.49% to 18% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Annual Fee None
- Credit Needed Excellent , Good
- Processing Network Visa
- Earn between 1% and 1.5% cash back on every purchase
- Redeem points for merchandise or travel
- Visa Signature offers the ability to use this card anywhere in the world where Visa is accepted
- No annual fee or balance transfer fees
- Regular Purchase APR: 9.49% to 18% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Balance Transfer APR: 9.49% to 18% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance APR: 9.49% to 18% variable based on creditworthiness and the Prime Rate
- Cash Advance Transaction Fee: 1.5% of the amount of each cash advance
- Foreign Transaction Fee: Up to 1% of the transaction amount in U.S. dollars
- Late Payment Penalty Fee: Up to $35
- Return Payment Penalty Fee: $10
At a Glance
The America First Visa Signature Cash Back Credit Card is a decent cash back credit card that fails to excite. From leading credit union America First CU, the card offers unlimited 1% to 1.5% cash back, a competitive APR, and no annual fee.
Ideal for Those Who:
- Are currently a member of America First Credit Union or are eligible to join
- Want a basic, flat-rate cash back credit card
- Don’t want to pay an annual fee
America First Credit Union Visa Signature Cash Back Credit Card Review
The America First Visa Signature Cash Back Credit Card is a no annual fee, 1% to 1.5% cash back rewards card from American First Credit Union – one of the largest credit unions in the United States.
Earn Basic Rewards with Every Purchase
The America First Visa Signature is the premier card in the America First Credit Union lineup and offers decent rewards with every eligible purchase. One version of the card earns 1.5% back on every purchase, which places it on par with cards like the Amex Cash Magnet and the Chase Freedom Unlimited. Another version of the card, The America First Credit Union Visa Signature 1% Cash Back Credit Card, earns a reduced, unlimited 1% cash back on all purchases.
However, the 1.5% back (or 1% cash back) isn’t [precisely how the America First Visa Signature Card earns rewards. Instead, the card earns reward points with the best value from cash back (1.5% or 1% back on all eligible purchases). Other ways to redeem points include gift cards, travel, and merchandise through the America First rewards portal via SimpliFI. This rewards format isn’t unusual but rather just requires spelling out for those unaware.
A Competitive APR
The America First CU Visa Signature Cash Back features a very competitive APR on purchases, balance transfers, and cash advances. That APR, while variable, is slightly below the national average for those with excellent credit scores.
However, the same APR applying to balance transfers and cash advances is welcome news. The4 balance transfer rate is incredibly enticing, as it is almost 3% lower than the current average APR for balance transfer credit cards. Sure, there are no 0% intro APR periods from America First Credit Union, but the low rate makes transferring existing balances a no brainer.
Other Card Features
Since the America First CU Visa Signature Cash Back bears the Visa Signature name, it enjoys an excellent selection of Visa protections and benefits. These include:
- Visa Signature Concierge: Customized customer service to help cardholders make reservations, buy tickets, and receive advice.
- Visa Signature Luxury Hotel Collection: Signature cardholders get discounts, exclusive access, and guest privileges at over 900 luxury hotels worldwide.
- Extended warranty protection
- 24/7 Roadside Dispatch
- Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver
- Cardholder Inquiry Services
- Zero Fraud Liability
Like other America First CU Visa credit cards, the Visa Signature Cash Back Card also offers “Card Guard” purchase protection. Card Guard is the credit union’s smartphone app (available for Apple and Android devices) that lets users limit transactions by geography, set spending limits, define which merchants can process transactions, and more.
Should You Apply for the America First Credit Union Visa Signature Cash Back Credit Card?
Overall, the America First Visa Signature Cash Back Credit Card is competent – if not exciting – cash back rewards card. The 1.5% or 1% unlimited cash back isn’t exceptional (especially for a no annual fee card) but does provide robust value for current America First members. Similarly, the perks end with what already comes with a Visa Signature card, but those benefits are decent enough to warrant consideration. If you currently bank with America First Credit Union, this card might be worth looking at – for everyone else; however, better options are available.